Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cool cp's at lowes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm visiting my parents in Florida, so, since it's Spring here, I went to Lowes to see what I could see Carnivore-wise.

Wow! There were all these CP's there. I bought a bunch! I bought some for LauraZ5, too...Here's what I got...

2 Drosera (no variety, $4.97 ea.)
    2 Sarracenia X Judith Henkle @ $8.00 apiece(or something like that, mom threw away the labels)
    2 Darlingtonia Californica, 1 at $8.00, one @ $4.97
    1 Ping-a-ling, or whatever the heck they're called, @ $4.97.

Good deals! See, there is something good about Florida. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

\"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you mean Judith Hindle? Zongyi
    What you want to do is illeagle here in Canada.
    Email does not work! Use PM or yangzongyi@hotmail.com instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hay Hellz here,
    u r lucky, ur lowes has CP's in it...
    a word of caution, Darlingtonia are hard to maintain, unless kept cool (meaning the roots).
    If it is a hot day, Use Icecubes (of pure water ofcourse) and topwater regularly
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ Mar. 28 2005,5:22)]I'm visiting my parents in Florida, so, since it's Spring here, I went to Lowes to see what I could see Carnivore-wise.

Wow! There were all these CP's there. I bought a bunch! I bought some for LauraZ5, too...Here's what I got...

2 Drosera (no variety, $4.97 ea.)
    2 Sarracenia X Judith Henkle @ $8.00 apiece(or something like that, mom threw away the labels)
    2 Darlingtonia Californica, 1 at $8.00, one @ $4.97
    1 Ping-a-ling, or whatever the h*ll they're called, @ $4.97.

Good deals! See, there is something good about Florida. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    April, coincidently, with a half day at work on Friday, I went to Lowes as well. They had numerous platic cubes, containing an unidentified tropical pitcher plant (ventricosa? sanguinea?), D. adelae, and VFT's. There were other individual post that had a Judith Hindle Sarracenia, P. primuliflora, S. rubra, and a couple of Darlingtonia californica (cobra lily). I picked up a cobra lily, for now my third attempt at keepin this one alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool roots is the rule for Darlingtonia but there are exceptions. mine is grown in pure peat in a tray of "stagnant" warm water and it is doing wonderfully(pictures of it will be posted in the Sarr forum sometime tonite) dont let these guys scare you off of Darlingtonia, just expect to possibly kill a one or two, but hey thats what tissue culture is for right?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Darlingtonia from Lowes (two of them) are growing like weeds in pure LFS in a self-watering pot. One just produced a new plant from a stolon. From what I've been reading, well-oxygenated roots are probably more important than cool roots. They often seem healthiest when there's moving water flowing through their medium, which, yes, tends to be cool, but also is constantly replenishing the oxygen. People who have trouble with them might want to try a looser medium and see if it helps. My success may be a side effect of the materials I chose... LFS, which is very airy, and a self-watering pot, which has a large opening in the bottom through which air can enter the medium.

I haven't really experimented with anything so far (my plants are indoors under lights so they aren't exposed to extreme heat). This would be my suggestion to someone who has a lot of plants and wants to experiment. Put two plants outside in the sun. Put one in a typical peat/perlite/whatever mix (in a tray) and water with pure water from the fridge once or twice a day. Put the other in LFS or some other airy mix (also in a tray), with an aquarium air stone buried in the bottom connected to a gentle air pump. And of course don't water with cold water at all. I'm curious which one would do better. Maybe I'll try it this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler and all...

Thanks for the advice! I'm not scared of the Darlingtonia because I don't know enough to be scared. All the plants came packed in these plastic cubes. Even though there was plenty of condensation in all of them, some of the medium looked a bit dry, so I carefully watered them with spring water. They seem okay, though the drosera were really pretty with the dew on their little leaf hairs. I opened their little terrariums and put them on my P's sun porch that gets filtered eastern light. I don't know how I'm going to get the top back on the droseras though, they are big and healthy, and I understand you're not supposed to touch the leaves.

Some of them are packed in spaghnum moss that appears to be growing, and some are packed in a mixed medium. The larger ones. The Ping-a-ling is packed in spaghnum that is alive.

I think I'll be stopping at Lowe's stores all the way home!

Should I re-pot them?

Love your signature, Rattler.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]cool roots is the rule for Darlingtonia but there are exceptions. mine is grown in pure peat in a tray of "stagnant" warm water and it is doing wonderfully(pictures of it will be posted in the Sarr forum sometime tonite) dont let these guys scare you off of Darlingtonia,
    agreed. I've kept some (from lowes) and had it like you just described. what killed them was the dormancy. too wet so they rotted [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast