What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all

I live in NJ and waiting till I'm sure that the night time temperatures won't get below freezing. I'm hoping to move them out Tuesday.

Are you moving the plants out in planters or are you going to transplant them into a bog?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jhaluska @ April 02 2005,8:46)]I live in NJ and waiting till I'm sure that the night time temperatures won't get below freezing.  I'm hoping to move them out Tuesday.
Hi,
I live in Audubon, PA (about 2 hours from you). I put all of my Sarracenia and VFTs out already. They sit in pots in large plastic mortar mixing tubs from Home Depot. I think we got enough rain today!! I also just uncovered my bog.
Joe

Didja find anything special underneath your mulch when you uncovered your bog? Just curious.

Wow Laura thanx for naming those types of plants that would do well here. Most actually are found wild in the county where I live, so that means they should do well. Don't anyone worry, I am not gonna go and get them from the wild.

Oh no, no section for the Utricularia. Anyone have tips on growing them? Set-up?

Edit - Well hope I grow plants better then I read... I found it....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ April 02 2005,9:37)]Didja find anything special underneath your mulch when you uncovered your bog?  Just curious.
Did I find anything special? Hmm, how about special little nests of fine chewed up material from mice or moles or whatever. Last year I had a S. purpurea susp. purpurea var. heterophylla completely snacked upon down to the rhizome--uggghh!!

I planted much more common material this year, and cut leaves and left them in the mix for the mice to snack on. It seemed to work, and I found several leaves chewed, but the plants left alone.

I just layed S. purprea subsp. purpurea leaves that had the stuff rinsed out all about.  They did eat it--I found leaves chewed throughout.  I also removed the pine needles earlier that last year, but left the plastic pulled to the side just in case of a hard frost--a little warmer hear in SE Pennsylvania.

I just have a sunny spot I'm moving the pots out into and I have a metal cage to put over them to keep the pesky squirrels away from my plants. My windows don't get enough sunlight.

I've been lucky about the squirrels--never had a probem (knock on the big oak in my yard dropping acorns). I hope your plants do well.

Back