Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi I am another newb to the world of CPs.

I started my collection with 2 Flytraps. I have only had them for a week now. So far so good, they seem to be recovering well from the shock of being shipped.

1 question i was hoping might get answered.

I live in wisconsin so temperatures are pretty chilly. I plan to keep them outdoors during the summer, what would be a safe average low temperature to make the move?

Oops make it 2 questions,

They are both "Red Dragons" however they have very little red coloring on them. I know that has to do with the amount Light they receive. Once they have proper conditions, how long will it take for the color to darken? Or will I have to wait for new growth for the red coloration to show?
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont have any VFTs at the moment but to answer your second question, if they are in fact 'Red Dragons' their lack of red color would be due to not good enough light. VFTs like full sun. if you check out the Sarr forum you will see a pic of one of my Sarrs not quite opened pitcher. you can see the side that faces the window is a nice deep red, the opposite side that faces the inside of my kitchen is still pretty green.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeep,
    Need stronger light.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Hello! I don't know the answers to your questions cause I am also a newbie.I just know that it does need lots of light to make it a nice red but I don't know how long it will take,but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum!You will have a great time.The people here are very nice and super helpful!Have fun!*Niki*(Trapper7) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Gawd...welcome to the forums. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

If your VFTs have been indoors in a warm environment, then I would acclimate them slowly to outdoors. They can take pretty chilly temps but normally, if the plants have been outdoors the whole time, then the temp change takes place gradually. So its not that they can't take the cold weather...you just don't want to shock them with a sudden evironmental change. Maybe put them outdoors in the sun for a while and bring them indoors at night if the temperatures are going drop below freezing.

Once you've had them outside, next winter will be easier as they adapt to the changing weather. I don't know how severe the cold gets where you are, but my VFTs have been frozen solid and they do fine. However I can't say if VFTs in your neck of the woods could stay out all winter.

Welcome to the fascinating world of CPs. But I'll warn you...its an addiction. And nobody here is gonna talk you out of it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums dude (or dudet [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] ).

I believe PAK answered your first question and I will attempt to answer your second question. It depends on how much of what kind of light you give them. Strong direct sunlight will color them faster than say a set of growlights. The more light you give them the faster they color. It can usually take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. It all hinges on the kind of plant(red dragons color beaustifully) and how much light they get. Mine get full sun in the summer and they color almost instantly from the time of conseption to the time of opening. Hope this helps you.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanx All.

PlantA - It gets pretty darn cold, well below freezing no wind chill included...
    And Ok, as I thought, I'll wait another month to put them out.

And yer darn right it is addicting, I'm already looking for some dews to add to the collection.

Wesley - Kewl Thanx for the 411 - I was hoping it wouldn't take to long, once they are getting more direct light. Unfortinatly, my house is on a goofy angle, and the windows that would provide the best light are shaded by trees. I have however found a place in one room where they recieve about 1 hour of direct light in the morning and 2 1/2 - 3 hours in the afternoon, until temps warm up enough to get them out to the bog.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and it's Dude.
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast