Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahh white fungus stuff?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    crap... I just noticed some white fuzzy stuff around one of my VFTs... Maybe fungus? do you think it was caused by humidity? I had a glass lid on the tank that covered maybe 90% of the top.. I just took the whole lid off now.. AHHHHh.. what do i do?

I have a 2 1/2 gal tank with a glass lid on top that covers about 90% of the whole thing.. Inside I have VFTs, D. binata, D. Spat, D. Brevifolia..... The white fungus looking like thing is around one of my VFTs.... I just took the glass top off completely... Do you guys think its from the humidity? how do I cure this?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just dashed off a response to different post, mentioning the potential of humidity and mold - and then I see this topic. Yup, it's all related. Keep the cover off. You can remove the mold with tweezer. Some people put cinnamon on the mold. I haven't tried it, but it seems to work. i would try to remove it physically. Don't panic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use PhySan.

Cinnamon inhibits yeast growth, so it's not surprising it would inhibit mold growth.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do need to have some air circulation in your tank. Maybe open it up a little more. Moist, stagnant air will encourage mold/fungus growth.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i havent grown VFTs but from experiance D. spatulata and D. binata do just fine in quite low ambiant humidity. as a newbie i lost several Drosera to terrarium culture because of high humidity and rot. if you take a look at my grow list, every single Drosera on there are grown in fairly low humidity. high humidity is not a requirement for the vast majority of 'dews, but good light and good air circulation is.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty, Fungus taken care of.. now the lid is off and everything seems to be going ok. Its just been raining a LOT around here lately and the sun hasn't been out. But the plants are still getting a lot of light from my compact fluorescent bulb...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright I took everyones advice on opening up the tank..

Just now I found some more fungus in my take.. Any other advice?? There is NO lid.... I don't know whats wrong...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scrap it off with a spoon. You should be fine and nothing to really worry about. All you do is just change the circulation till the fungus does not come back.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast