What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ahh white fungus stuff?

• Thread starter jlui83
  • Start date
crap... I just noticed some white fuzzy stuff around one of my VFTs... Maybe fungus? do you think it was caused by humidity? I had a glass lid on the tank that covered maybe 90% of the top.. I just took the whole lid off now.. AHHHHh.. what do i do?

I have a 2 1/2 gal tank with a glass lid on top that covers about 90% of the whole thing.. Inside I have VFTs, D. binata, D. Spat, D. Brevifolia..... The white fungus looking like thing is around one of my VFTs.... I just took the glass top off completely... Do you guys think its from the humidity? how do I cure this?

I just dashed off a response to different post, mentioning the potential of humidity and mold - and then I see this topic.
biggrin.gif
Yup, it's all related. Keep the cover off. You can remove the mold with tweezer. Some people put cinnamon on the mold. I haven't tried it, but it seems to work. i would try to remove it physically. Don't panic!

I use PhySan.

Cinnamon inhibits yeast growth, so it's not surprising it would inhibit mold growth.

You do need to have some air circulation in your tank. Maybe open it up a little more. Moist, stagnant air will encourage mold/fungus growth.

i havent grown VFTs but from experiance D. spatulata and D. binata do just fine in quite low ambiant humidity. as a newbie i lost several Drosera to terrarium culture because of high humidity and rot. if you take a look at my grow list, every single Drosera on there are grown in fairly low humidity. high humidity is not a requirement for the vast majority of 'dews, but good light and good air circulation is.

Alrighty, Fungus taken care of.. now the lid is off and everything seems to be going ok. Its just been raining a LOT around here lately and the sun hasn't been out. But the plants are still getting a lot of light from my compact fluorescent bulb...

Alright I took everyones advice on opening up the tank..

Just now I found some more fungus in my take.. Any other advice?? There is NO lid.... I don't know whats wrong...

Scrap it off with a spoon. You should be fine and nothing to really worry about.
smile.gif
All you do is just change the circulation till the fungus does not come back.

Why don't you try putting a small fan in your case. That way you can maintain humidity, as well as increase circulation, which is most likely what is causing your mold problems. I maintain 70-90% humidity in my case most times. It's covered 100% of the time and I have no mold problems.

You can try neem oil for your existing mold trouble. It seems to work pretty well for that purpose. I find that Physan doesn't work very well on existing molds.

Sam

Where abouts do I get a small fan to fit into a 5 1/2 gal tank?

take the plants out of the terrarium, put them in pots, and grow them outdoors.
they will bigger, healthier, happier, and they will never have fungus again..
Scot

of course its always a possibility even in the wild but the best defence is keeping thdm healthy, vigorus, in not too humid conditions under proper care.

I would put them in there own pots but I like the whole idea of having them inside a terrarium.... I've seen many nice setups and I plan on doing the same.. Thanks for the suggestion though. I only have VFTs in this aquarium tank (b/c there the only ones that i have that require dormancy) my Sundews are all in separte pots.

Sources for small fans are old computers, and places like Radio Shack. All you need is a 9-12V power supply(maybe you can use one from one of the 4000 wall power supplies most of us have laying around), and the fan and voila. DC fans aren't too picky when it comes to power sources.

Sam

I think I found a solution to my problem... I opened the window.. haha.. I guess its a circulation issue... After phiscally removing the fungus and opening the window.. It seems like my VFTs are groing like crazy.. and maybe b/c there getting good sunlight and the temperatures here are getting warmer..... But Everything is good now.. Thanks Everyone! This Thread can be closed..
biggrin.gif

Back