Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Raccoons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relocating a raccoon is generally a death sentence and aside from that, some poor unsuspecting person inherits your nuisance critter. Not too neighborly in my humble opinion. Better to shoot them rather than to take them for a drive in the country where upwards of 80% (some statistics place this percentage at upwards of 85%) will die within the first 6 months from starvation and/or injuries sustained from fighting with established raccoons in the area protecting their territory from invaders.

I have 100% success deterring raccoons from getting into my herp ponds by using low voltage electric wire around the perimeter. It's cheap and readily available from Home Depot or Menards as well as on line and it doesn't kill them, not even juveniles. My set up was purchased on line and I'll see if I can find a link for you but it was a while ago. Yes, I have forgotten the wire was there and I have zapped myself a few times and was most displeased. Ouch! Anyway, you could fence in the area you want your cats to stay and that would keep cats on one side and critters on the other. My girlfriend has her entire patio as well as a small portion of her yard fenced in and it works great. The current can easily be shut off and turned back on. I do it all the time to work around ponds.

One comment, please stop feeding your cats outside. You will be visited by all types of critters that go bump in the night trying to sniff out where the "goods" are if you continue to do this. There is an eastern form of rabies making its way slowly and surely westward and to continue leaving cat food outside is really not a very sound practice. Another factor to toss into the mix is that there are critters that carry both canine and feline diseases. Your beloved cats could quite easily pick up a communicable disease by sharing the same food bowls.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent info Laura. besides if the raccons have found the food it wont be long before the dim witted skunks figure out theres a buffet too
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad news, if there are raccoons at the buffet...
    the opossums and skunks probably already found it.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, we do feed them inside as often as possible, but my dad despises cats. What's more he despises indoor cats more, as he is allergic to them. Otherwise we would always feed them inside. We have only caught one "Flower" snooping around in last 2 yrs, 3-4 "Clyde Oppossom" in the last year or so, and 2-3 "Rocky Raccoon" as we have deemed them each. I would love to be able to fence up our area as it would also keep our neighbor's cats from roaming onto our property, but our 3 cats effectively roam our ten acres(no more than that though... I dunno why but I have never seen them off our property). That would be awfully expensive and also hard to fence up. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I am bound to figure out a way to get rid of them though. I just have to find it!
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Ok first of all I can't believe that most of you suggested to shoot or somehow kill these beautiful animals.It's not their fault that someone put food out,they're just trying to survive!And second WHY did you get cats in the first place if your dad is allergic to themSo they can never come inside??That's cruel [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] My idea would have been to stop feeding them outside(duh!)but I guess you can't cause of your dad.Another one would be,once you put the food out leave it out for a bit and then bring it back in so it's not out all night,when the raccoons are most active.Your cats will eventually learn that their food is only out for a limited time and then it's gone,so they'll learn to come and eat between the time you put it out and take it back in.And please don't shoot these poor animals,it's not their fault,it's actually YOURS! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] *Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you mentioned that. I'm hyper allergic to cats myself. We have 8 indoor only cats that are all from local shelters. There are products out there that readily available that you can bathe cats with that considerably alleviate allergy symptoms. We put a few drops of olive oil in our cats' eyes (protects their corneas from the betadyne) and then bathe them with betadyne surgical scrub (anti-virucidal, anti-bacteriological, and anti fungicidal...did I miss anything?) and rinse real well. We follow up with an oatmeal shampoo. I've been dealing with the same allergist for years and he claimed that after a few years my body built up immunities to the cats we personally own. I'd still be allergic to yours but I'm fine with mine. Chances are pretty good your Dad has no issues at this point in time and doesn't even know it.

We only have five acres here and our cats are indoor only so they aren't an issue. My girlfriend down the road has 40 acres. You wouldn't want to fence in the entire area, only a small area extended beyond a patio or deck. Cats don't need that much space and many live their entire lives indoors with no access to so much as even a screened in porch. Her cats soon learned to stay in the area she put the electric zap fence around. Total cost to her was under $50 and no more fdead frogs, dead chipmunks, or dead birds littering her yard. Her cats are now contained. Her biggest bonus was that she found out she wasn't running into many Fluffie poops in her flower beds anymore. The world was no longer their litter box. Funny thing, half the time she claims she forgets to turn her wire on and her cats still stay within their area these days. Just a few thoughts of what has worked for me and friend.

Tee he, you probably have considerably more "Flowers, Clydes, and Rockies" than what you think. Most of those are creatures of the night and truly try to avoid interacting with humans at all costs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They make good pets. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Actually in Hungary(Where I'm from)they sell raccoons and skunks as pets.I would really like a skunk [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] (descented of course)*Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast