Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Raccoons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give your cat an egg once see what happens.
    But I can change my statement abit and talk about the flightless baby birds. If the eggs are taken, the adult birds may try and lay more if enough time is left in their breeding season, once the eggs have hatched and the young are killed few bird species will make another attempt at reproducing that season. Ofcourse that doesn't include the bunnies of the bird world such as sparrows/starlings etc.

Cats With Bells on Their Collars Do Kill Birds: Studies have shown that bells on collars are not effective in preventing cats from killing birds or other wildlife. Birds do not necessarily associate the sound of a bell with danger, and cats with bells can learn to silently stalk their prey. Bells offer no protection for helpless nestlings and fledglings - - - From the same study done by the University of Wisconsin
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cats are highly evolved killing machines and their rights end at the property lines of those who own them although trying to explain this to owners can be an exercise in futility. I too have lost my share of birds to indoor/outdoor house cats and feral cats. I have also lost more than a few chipmunks, frogs, and rabbits as well as an occasional snake. I use a HavAHart trap. I then call my Village and they send out animal control to pick up the feral animal. Most local governments are well aware of the damage stray/feral cats do to the environment and the health risks they pose so most have programs in place to address the situation in my area. If where one lives does not have such a program, check with your County. Our Village encourages us to help control the ferals and picks up the tab for having them humanely destroyed. I lost more than my fair share of BlueJays last year to outdoor cats. Blue Jays are an endangered species around here. Many of our native birds have enough competition out there what with West Niles Virus and all taking its toll as well as European Starlings and English House Sparrows. Why didn't people just spay and neuter all cats or at the very least keep them inside where they would have been incapable of reproducing until they were fixed? I realize the greatest threat to songbirds and small mammals is from outdoor cats regardless of whether they are stray or feral. Itís the dump offs in my area that get to me after a while. For some reason, people get kittens and when they start peeing on their precious Persian rug... the owners decide it is time to take a drive to the Country. I am told all farmers want mousers. I know a lot of farmers and I can't think of one who wants somebody else's house pi**er or house sprayer destroying animal feed. The other issue is that many people get their kittens/cats for free and are unwilling to invest in a trip to a vet to see if there is a biological basis to the urination problem such as cystitis or a urinary tract infection. It is difficult to combat this mindset.

As a parent, this hit home hard and this is why I now trap all ferals and stray cats-
    http://www.messybeast.com/zoonoses.htm

Quite frankly, I donít want any cats hanging around my property. That link only discusses diseases communicable to humans however there are many nasty diseases they can and have passed to my indoor only cats and the mutated form of distemper for which there is no vaccine comes to mind about a year and a half ago. I do not want ferals and strays infecting my indoor only cats because they hang around my house when I open the windows in spring and fall, I do not want them urinating and defecating in the sand box out back that my kids play in, I donít want them doing their thing in my bog, or marking their territory by spraying on the frames to my screens to show my indoor only cats who is boss, and I certainly donít want them hanging out underneath my birdfeeders as if they are nice prepackaged McDonaldís KittyMeals. Unfortunately, most of the people in my neighborhood arenít on large enough properties that their cats stay put. Weíre talking mostly 2 acre parcels here and their cats can and do frequent my property. Combine these with the ferals and the strays and thatís a lot of cats doing a lot of damage.

Bells on collars do not work much longer than the first week or so. The use of same on cats to warn wildlife has recently been studied. It was documented that in a very short period of time, the average wearer of the bells was able to compensate for the annoying existence of the bells attached to the collar and soon learned how to move in a ďstealthĒ mode so as to insure that the bells didnít tinkle and alert the victim prematurely. Yes, the bells did finally tinkle but that was in the middle of a pounce and it was too late then. Bells on cat collars are a ďfeel goodĒ product that people who let their cats out can purchase so they can feel as if they are doing their part to protect North American Wildlife. Cats are serial killers. It is tough to think of Fluffy who is curled up by the heat register snoozing away peacefully as being capable of killing.

Another lesser known tidbit, cats that are well fed allegedly kill approximately 5-7x more for sport than their feral counterparts that generally only kill that which they need to survive. The feral cats consume their victims while the well fed strays often do not in favor of toying with the prey until it is dead and then leaving it lay or bringing it home to present to its owner.

TNR (aka Trap, Neuter, Release or formerly Spay, Notch, and Release) is now pretty well documented as not being a viable alternative to those opposed to humanely destroying ferals and may even be in violation of the migratory bird act. Canít wait for the outcome of that.

Gawd_oOo mentioned English House Sparrows, those are also major serial killers although their victims are predominantly native cavity nesters. Best to save that topic for another day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my goodness!That skunk is adorable!![img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] *Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 10 indoor only cats in a 900 sq.ft. house. Me and the DH have the word "SUCKER" printed on our foreheads, and only animals can see it.

Windows kill more birds every year than feral and stray cats could ever hope to. Which is not to say cats belong outside, because they don't. 2 of my 10 cats were born in a house, raised in a house. The other 8 are rescued ferals or strays. They are quite happy being indoor only cats. They have each other to play with, and toys, and they wreck my stuff for fun, and they are happy cats. They don't pine to go outside, they are terrified of it. I wish people would get over their "cats need to go outside to be happy" stuff, because IT IS NOT TRUE. April
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you ever try putting any suncatchers up on your windows at work? Maybe you could put them on the outside of the windows since you are in a flyway? I could have a few homemade ones for you by next weekend if you are interested. They are plastic so they are very lightweight and tend to stay up on the windows cosiderably longer that the heavy stained glass types. I know those birds crashing into the windows is so incredibly disheartening because they end up quite dead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 10 indoor only cats in a 900 sq.ft. house. Me and the DH have the word "SUCKER" printed on our foreheads, and only animals can see it.

Windows kill more birds every year than feral and stray cats could ever hope to. Which is not to say cats belong outside, because they don't. 2 of my 10 cats were born in a house, raised in a house. The other 8 are rescued ferals or strays. They are quite happy being indoor only cats. They don't pine to go outside, they are terrified of it. I wish people would get over their "cats need to go outside to be happy" stuff, because IT IS NOT TRUE. April
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... well, Our dogs have delivered a couple racoons and a Nutria to our back door when they come over the fence in search of food. (we have gardens within the 1 acre homestead of our ranch (70 acres.)

I personally don't have a problem with anyone shooting them. Sad, but it is not like the racoon is endangered, and it can be a pest.

We also have 2 fixed cats outside, they are lazy as sin. And I am pretty darn sure have never killed a bird in their life (there is a very healthy population of birds on our ranch.) These cats would rather starve than move 10 ft from the back patio. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] they are good mousers and leave dead mice on the porch for my mom. "See what I brought you mom?" lol... My mom's springer spaniel is a certified scorpion eater. She thinks they are the best terat ever. (crazy animal) Alex (died of kidney failure last year) was a half australian shep half rot mix that took care of armadillos for us, and his protege, Dusty, a 110 lbs half great dane half lab (super awesome and gorgeous animal) delivers at least 1 armadillo a year, a racoon or two a year, and last month, jack rabbit. No problems here...

thought, that is about to all change... we are putting french guineas on the land this spring, and the dogs are going to have to learn to keep their mouths closed.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RamPuppy I have a few questions for you:What is a Nutria?And doesn't your mom's dog get sick from eating scorpions?And what are french guineas?Thanks.*Niki*[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif[/img]
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast