What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raccoons

• Thread starter Wesley
  • Start date

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
We feed out cats outside and have recently been visited by raccoons seeking food. Trapping and relocating them is illegal so how can I get rid of them without endangering our cats?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wesley @ April 01 2005,10:33)]We feed out cats outside and have recently been visited by raccoons seeking food.  Trapping and relocating them is illegal so how can I get rid of them without endangering our cats?
Shotgun?

no too much noise. Air-rifle/pellet gun works muych better

before anyone chimes in about shooting the critters, if it is illegal to relocate them then it is the only way to get rid of coons as they are to smart for anything else to work.

personally i prefer my old bolt action .22RF loaded with SSS(Sniper Sub-Sonic?) loads

Youre going to KILL them?!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

That's me and my dad's opinion, but my mom won't go for it. .22 magnum for me! LOL But since that is not an option is there anything that WON'T kill them?

good luck, if you cant relocate them, short of shooting them there is nothing you can do. they are to smart for their own good.

A bb gun is a temporary fix. If you do not want to kill'em you could call animal control. I would suggest not killing a raccoon in the city just because you are going to create a useless seen.

Keep a dog in your yard at night?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ April 01 2005,3:46)]Keep a dog in your yard at night?
My cats would freak. LOL, unless we got a puppy, but even then my dad is not exactly fond of dogs so that would also be outa the question.

Become a ninja...at night climb up trees and throw a ninja star at the racoon and then stuff it in the swamp.

ooooOOOoooo I like that idea! Do that!

Wow.... where did that one come from? LOL

booby traps, like those in Spy vs Spy

Burry some catapults in the yard and just toss your troubles away

Relocating a raccoon is generally a death sentence and aside from that, some poor unsuspecting person inherits your nuisance critter. Not too neighborly in my humble opinion. Better to shoot them rather than to take them for a drive in the country where upwards of 80% (some statistics place this percentage at upwards of 85%) will die within the first 6 months from starvation and/or injuries sustained from fighting with established raccoons in the area protecting their territory from invaders.

I have 100% success deterring raccoons from getting into my herp ponds by using low voltage electric wire around the perimeter. It's cheap and readily available from Home Depot or Menards as well as on line and it doesn't kill them, not even juveniles. My set up was purchased on line and I'll see if I can find a link for you but it was a while ago. Yes, I have forgotten the wire was there and I have zapped myself a few times and was most displeased. Ouch! Anyway, you could fence in the area you want your cats to stay and that would keep cats on one side and critters on the other. My girlfriend has her entire patio as well as a small portion of her yard fenced in and it works great. The current can easily be shut off and turned back on. I do it all the time to work around ponds.

One comment, please stop feeding your cats outside. You will be visited by all types of critters that go bump in the night trying to sniff out where the "goods" are if you continue to do this.  There is an eastern form of rabies making its way slowly and surely westward and to continue leaving cat food outside is really not a very sound practice. Another factor to toss into the mix is that there are critters that carry both canine and feline diseases. Your beloved cats could quite easily pick up a communicable disease by sharing the same food bowls.

excellent info Laura. besides if the raccons have found the food it wont be long before the dim witted skunks figure out theres a buffet too

Bad news, if there are raccoons at the buffet...
the opossums and skunks probably already found it.

Ah yes, we do feed them inside as often as possible, but my dad despises cats. What's more he despises indoor cats more, as he is allergic to them. Otherwise we would always feed them inside. We have only caught one "Flower" snooping around in last 2 yrs, 3-4 "Clyde Oppossom" in the last year or so, and 2-3 "Rocky Raccoon" as we have deemed them each. I would love to be able to fence up our area as it would also keep our neighbor's cats from roaming onto our property, but our 3 cats effectively roam our ten acres(no more than that though... I dunno why but I have never seen them off our property). That would be awfully expensive and also hard to fence up.
smile_h_32.gif
I am bound to figure out a way to get rid of them though. I just have to find it!

Back