What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My a.konjac has flowered

hey, why don't you set that thing outside your landlord's window...
smile_n_32.gif

Peter

I love bringing these out to the public greenhouse area when they are flowering. Konjac can make your eyes water.

Hey Tony, that second picture looks a bit like A. decus-silvae, are you familiar with that species? Your plant is awsome. Where are you located? Are you at a botanical Garden as well? Nice backround...

Steve

LOL @ Rubra
smile_n_32.gif
*Niki*

Hi Steve

I am very familiar with Amorph decus-silvae, I sold about 1,000 seeds of that species last year and have about 30 in my garden here.
It is definitely NOT that species as decus-silvae is from west Java and this species was collected in west Kalimantan, not far from the Indonesia/ Malayia border.

Have a look at my web site and you'll see what other species I have.

Cheers, Troy.

So where's the pic oz? Mine are still too young to flower, but my Dracunculus vulgaris will be flowering any day now, 3 flowers, with more to come
smile.gif

I restored this PC a couple of weeks ago. I have some pics but I have to install the software for my camera. I've been a little busy, so as soon as I get the software installed I'll post the pics.

Larry, how do you cultivate D. vulgaris? I find it very hard, I lost 2 bulbs outta three.

OK, I got Pics.

Theses were taken on Friday, the first day I noticed the flower.
a.konjac1.jpg

A.konjac3.jpg

A.konjac2.jpg

These were taken on Tuesday.

a.konjac4.jpg

A.konjac3.jpg

a.konjac5.jpg

A.konjac6.jpg

I had to put it outside yesterday because it stank so bad. Within five minutes of putting it outside it was swarmed with flys. Even though it was the first warm day we have had, and I haven't seen any bugs at all outside this year until I put the plant outside. Notice the fly.

A.konjacfly.jpg

Inside the flower. Notice the bugs.

A.konjac8.jpg

I saw my neighbor outside, so I did what anybody here would have done. I asked her if she wanted to smell my flower. She ran right over, stuck her nose in it, well I'm sure you guys now what she said next but I won't repeat it here. She was a good enough sport to hold it while I took this pic though.

jeanniewakon.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I saw my neighbor outside, so I did what anybody here would have done. I asked her if she wanted to smell my flower. She ran right over, stuck her nose in it, well I'm sure you guys now what she said next but I won't repeat it here. She was a good enough sport to hold it while I took this pic though.

While maintaining a safe distance, of course. You know Ozzy, you are a bugger, you are; all trying to fool is in to thinking that the person in that picture is your neighbor. Pah! I see through your sham! That's YOU standing next to it with your pink flipflops and '80s shorts. You can't pull a fast one on me again, so siree-bob, not again after that last April fools "joke". By the way Ozzy, nice tatoos. Oh, right, and nice plant, too.
smile_m_32.gif

--Jonathan

I wish I looked that good in those shorts.

I have a few questions.
Can I pollinate the flower or will it need to be crossed with another plant?
If I can pollinate it, how do I do it?

Hi Ozzy

Cool pics!
I love the flower of konjac.

To pollinate it you need to cut away the bottom of the spathe, the purple skirt thing that goes around the outside of the flower.
Inside you will see a ring of male flowers and then a ring of female flowers below that. If the flower was smelly a couple of days ago then you are probably too late but the pollen falls from the male flowers and you need to pollinate the female flowers.

PM me if you want a more detailed explanation.

Cheers, Troy.

Back