Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gnats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

I'm having a gnat problem again and I've been drowning pots and they just...MAJORLY TICK ME OFF!! I JUST potted these plants and they've already begun burrowing in the soil of all of my pots. I feel like giving up...but I've been informed that I can use systemic instecticides, the problem is, I don't know which one to get, I need one that I can get at Lowe's or somewhere like that, I can't order online for it. It this doesn't work..I'm just gonna stick with underwater utrics THAT DON'T HAVE SOIL FOR THE LITTLE (insert angry word here) TO BURROW IN! I'll do that until I can get a really good terrarium to keep them OUT!
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why I love winter/spring/fall. I hate ants! I once was laying on the couch watching TV and carpenter ant bit me on the back. Hurt like hell! Had a red mark from that and killed the ant in the process. You can never beat nature only hold it off for a while.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here's what you do-
    you take the plants out, wrap their roots in a wet paper towel, put the soil in the microwave, and DIE GNATS DIE!!!! MWUAHAHAHAHA!!!
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] I like my gnats though. my binata is COVERED with them. it's ridiculous. I actually have to pick them off because they get covered in fungus so I don't want them there. (he he he.. .how ironic. fungus gnats with mold)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same thing with mine. I think of it as constant nutrition for my plants. Although it's nice to be able to admire a nice leaf of a sundew without a bunch of dead bugs on there.
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heya, little tip here - those buggers don't like sand! If you can, put a light layer of sand..maybe .25" or so on top of your soil. That'll really slow down the little wormy gnat larvae. You still have to keep an eye on it though, they can sometimes push the sand over, and if there's a lot in the pot, it doesn't stop them from munching roots.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use food grade diatomaceous earth, sprinkled on the "soil" around the plant, it will slice the larva up and fix the problem. April
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh! where do you buy it? I want to see diatoms (the cool kind... not pond kind)!
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...........*cough* what? and I don't have any sand..it's really hard to find when you live in the middle of nowhere! All that's out here is cows! Hehe it's fun to yell hamburger when you see them..
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast