Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a Reeftank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I have a few minutes now, I am running a query on 8K computers so it will take a while. (usually twiddle your thumbs time.)

Here is a list of the equipment that will be included in the new tank:

115 Gallon Ocean View Cube 30" x 30" x 30" w/ custom drilling $430.00 -PURCHASED

Bulkheads for tank (schedule 80 PVC 1.5" and 1" w/ screens) $90.00 PURCHASED

Custom Sump - $200.00
    Oceans Motions Wave Maker - $309.00 + shipping
    Oceans Motions Revolutions - $140.00 + Shipping
    Reeflo Dart 3200 GPH pump (2X) -$350.00 - PURCHASED
    Stand - $150.00 (Supplies PURCHASED - Under Construction)
    Canopy - $150.00 (supplies estimate)
    IceCap T5 (Quad) retro fit kit 24" - est $400.00
    IceCap 250 watt Metal Halide w/ Iwasaki 10K/20K bulbs - est $800.00
    Custom Refugium - $200.00 est price

As you can see, this hobby adds up FAST. Luckily, i work at a petstore for fun, and get a hefty employee discount, so some of those prices may come down big time.

When it is all setup, $350.00 of live rock will be added (Fiji Premium, Kalini, Tonga Deep Water)

Planned Stocking:

Vertebrates:
    1 X Purple Tang - (Mr. Nibbles (allready owned)
    2 X Maroon Clowns (already owned, wife has not named yet.)
    1 X Black Sailfin Blenny
    2 X Mandarin Dragonettes (to be purchased as mated pair)
    1 X Citrine Goby (Maybe - still up in the air on this one.)
    2 X Helfrichi Firefish (to be purchased as pair (150.00 each)

Invertebrate Life:
    1 X Tridacna Maxima Clam White and Black (Ultra Grade)
    1 X Tridacna Maxima Purple and Black (Ultra Grade)
    3 X hawaiian Feather Duster Colonies
    2 X Coco Worms (Orange - Red Hawaii Endimic)
    3 X Dwarf Feather Dusters
    2 X Fire Shrimp
    1 X Red Linkia Starfish
    1 X Blue Linkia Starfish
    1 X Ultra Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (current one is bleached, if it survives, it will be in the tank.)
    1 X Bee Sponge

CORAL: (all Coral will be Collector Grade, i.e. no brown)
    Purple People Eater Palythoa
    Various Zoanthids
    Various Yuma Ricordea
    Acropora (various varieties)
    Hydnophora (branching, blue and green varieties)
    Blastomusa (various varieties)
    Black Sun Coral
    (oh heck, if it is pacific in origin, and I still have space for it, and it is gorgeous and hardy, it will get a home in the tank.)

Coral will be added slowly, most of the ones I want are the equivalent of N. Hamata, i.e. gorgeous and highly sought after, thus expensive. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] my pocket book is not going to be fat for quite some time.

I would be happy to answer any questions you guys have.

Invertebrate Clean Up Crew *My Janitors*
    3 X Tuxedo Urchins
    1 X Porcelin Crab (pacific)
    1 X Teddy Bear Crab (Hawaii Endemic)
    2 X Pom Pom Crabs (Hawaii Endemic)
    50 X Dwarf Zebra Hermits (Hawaii Endemic) (great scavengers)
    3 X Electric BHermits (Marshal Islands Endemic (Blue))(Hawaii Endemic (orange))
    2 X Haloween Hermit Crabs (Hawaii)
    2 X Strawberry Crabs
    2 X Hawaiian Mud Crabs (similar to Emerald Mithrax, but of pacific origin.)
    20 X Trochus Snails
    20 X Pacific Turbo Snails
    10 X Super Tongan Nassarius Snails
    2 X Tongan Fighting Conchs
    2 X Harlequin sea Slugs
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry man, prices went up before I saw your post...

Flipside... Coraline is a GOOD thing! just scrape it off the glass and be happy!

Oh, and the tank of the month not being on RC anymore is an april fools joke. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG RamPuppy are you rich??I know you're gonna get a discount but still that's a crapload of money:O Have fun *Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL.. RICH? no, not by any means (at least by American standards) I would be considered Middle Class, if I ever pay off my wifes car and my truck, then we would easily be considered upper middle class as far as our income goes, we do have a ton of bills, so not much money left over.

I do however work that pet store job just to pay for this, and I do Macromedia Flash development on the side. I have a few contracts that will pay for the entire tank when the companies pay up. I have also been saving for this tank for 2 years, it has been 'planned' from the get go, but I thought it would be a lot further off, when we actually got around to buying a house (because we live in a 2nd story apartment) but we recently found out that our floors are light weight concrete and can handle the weight, so no worries there, and with the extra money coming in, I can knock out at least a large part of that cost.

Oh, and those rare corals are a gift that gives back too. given a year to grow, when I make cuttings of the colonies (frag them) some will go for about 60 to 120$ apiece. So I can easily make some of this money back.

I am also laying down the scratch for ICECAP ballasts, which are more energy efficient than any other ballast on the market, so my 700 watts of light will come w/ little heat waste and so forth usually associated with these tanks. Lowering operating costs, making me even more happy. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I see the first thing I gotta do is to start working and working hard...but I have seen some tanks when they are finished - gorgeous. I suppose it will all pay off in the end.

Wonder how the prices compare in my area. There are a ton of aquarium shops here as well.

Man do I love the way food chains work...population explodes, fish introduced to control population, fish eats something else, you freak out and buy predator to eat fish - you never know what's coming! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Love it...

Jason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jason, don't get me wrong, tanks can be set up on a small budget, this is how I choose to do mine, I know others who have only spent a few hundred bucks and their tanks are incredible.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ April 05 2005,12:50)]OMG RamPuppy are you rich??I know you're gonna get a discount but still that's a crapload of money:O Have fun *Niki*
    I'm with Niki on this one! That is why I have no fish tanks at home. I can perpetuate this CP hobby on a shoestring budget because of the many generous people on this forum. All that aside, my jaw is wide open as I gaze at the fish and invertebrates. Very beautiful!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim, it is an expensive hobby, and not for the faint of heart... the thought of losing a helfrichi firefish (at 150$ a piece) is enough to give most people coniptions... but with this as the hobby, and wouldn't you know it, finding that the rarest firefish is your favorite firefish (I could care less if it's rare, I am not into it for a status symbol) can be somewhat disheartening...

I know a Guy who recently lost an 850 dollar interuptus angelfish... ouch. I don't think I could deal with that.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast