Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a Reeftank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit

*** Since I got a positive response to posting this info, I am going to go ahead and start. I renamed the topic from "Would you be interested" so it's clear what it is.

BEWARE, THIS THREAD GETS PICTURE INTENSIVE ON PAGE 2

END EDIT

Hi All,

I was wondering if you would be interested in me creating a 'follow along thread' here on the construction of my new 115 gallon reef tank.

If I did do it, it would be picture intensive, showing every step of the process of building a reef tank from the ground up, from the carpentry involved in building a Stand and Canopy, to plumbing the Sump, Refugium, Tank, and Pumps together with wave making devices. Electrical wiring for Metal Halide, T-5, and Moon lighting, heating, cooling and so on.

I will also be making a lot of my own 'live rock', and would take you through design of the aquascape to the actual implementation of it, and the stocking of corals, invertebrates, and so on, eventually, just making updates so you can see the progress of the tank.

I know we are a CP forum, and I know I will be dong this on the two reef forums I visit, but I thought we all have such diverse interests here that some of you at least might enjoy seeing this process.

As it stands today I have about 90% of the stand finished, the tank is purchased, and I have almost 100$ of bulkheads on order. This processis going faster now, and I anticipate having the entire tank online by the end of june.

Let me know!

\"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I'm in! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] What kind of fish are you gonna have in the tank?And I didn't know you could make your own coral!!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] *Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Oops I meant live rock,not coral.*Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi NIkki,

I already have a pair of Sumatran Gold Stripe Maroon clowns that will be going in the tank, and a Purple Tang my wife has named Mr. Nibbles (he nibbles on algae all over the current tank.) I also have a pair of PJ Cardinals, but I don't think they are going in the new tank, but to a friend or something, as they will compete for the same food as a mated pair of Mandarin Dragonettes I have on order.

Final Fish list will read something like this:
    Mated Pair of Gold Bar Maroon Clowns
    Mated Pair of Mandarin Dragonettes
    Pair of Helfrichi Fire Fish
    1 Purple Tang
    1 Black sailfin blenny
    1 Undecided Pygmy Angel (have to find one that won't nip coral)

Making 'live rock' is relatively easy, you fill a container with arragonite sand and crushed sea shells, and wet it, so it's like good sand castle building sand and holds it's shape, you make a mold in it that you want your rock to be shaped like. Then you mix 6 parts aragonite sand (and or sea shell mix) with 1 part portland cement, wet to the concistency of thick mud, and fill in your mold. To build higher, you build up around the sides of the rock with sand as you go. You can do interesting things like add snail shells, clams, and even spaghetti to the mix. let the rock cure for a couple days, and then put it in fresh water to cure for 2 weeks. During the curing process excess alkalinity will be leached out, and (if you added spaghetti) the spaghetti will deteriorate and leave small tunnels through out the rock for critters to inhabit (and assist in water current movement through the rock.) once it is cured properly you put it in (in this case) the main tank where all the REAL live rock is curing. Over the coming months, organisms will migrate into the fake rock and colonize it, sponges, tunicates, coraline algae, you name it, if it survived the curing process on the real live rock, it will eventually get on the 'fake stuff' and make it 'alive'. I am making the rock because I have some very specific structures in mind for the tank, and they can't be trusted to form out of random bulk ordered premium fiji live rock. I plan on starting to make rock this weekend, or, to make the container to make it in... the first piece will be a 28 inch long 'table' that extends along the back of the tank, and will be fused with another 28" long table that runs along the right side of the tank, this will hold the live rock later, because it will have hidden PVC legs underneath it, water will move under it and keep detrius from building up under the rocks, improving the water quality of the tank without sacrificing the 'natural' look.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DO IT!

joe

sounds like what my brother talks about. hes into salt tanks.
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Oh my goodness!That sounds so neat!Good luck with it and keep me posted!You sound very talented!*Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol... talented? thanks, but determined is more like it. I keep doint something until it is 'the way I want it' usually, I have to employ the brute force method... hopefully this won't come to that... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] GOOD LUCK [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] *Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast