What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks like i will never get a green house

Well this is weak sauce! I just found out that I can't build a green house in MY OWN BACKYARD.

Well I live in a gated community. Apparently I can't have any structure in my backyard that is visible from the street. Since my backyard is huge and is shaped like an "L" the place I would put a green house would be seen from the street . So the place that is perfect for a green house, and I mean literally perfect, I can't use.

So I think I have a plan. Since no structure can be visible. I'll buy some huge trees pronly cherry or something nice. Then build the foundation and plant the trees around it to obscure the view of the green house. Shouldn't be to hard, I only want o make it 10x15 or so. I don't know I'll have to talk to some neighbors that have been living here longer to see if I can get away with that.

what a dumb law
confused.gif

man I feel for you, thank god we dont have ridiciolous laws like that here

well its not a law, its an association thing. Basically a bunch of old fat cat rich guys bored with life so they make stupid rules like this. It wasn't like I was going to do the g-house cheap style, I was going to try and make it all victorian or at least just as nice....

Gahh. This is why I hate those gated communities. They treat residents like they're some sort of display, not people with lives. They don't allow individuality and are way too controlling for my tastes. It's like the gates are to control the people within, not the people outside.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ April 03 2005,4:14)]Gahh. This is why I hate those gated communities. They treat residents like they're some sort of display, not people with lives. They don't allow individuality and are way too controlling for my tastes. It's like the gates are to control the people within, not the people outside.

Capslock
exactly its like I live in communist russia, well close I am in california, so I guess one could come to the conclusion that my gated community counts a s a satillite state of communist russia.

So I was thinking maybe I can just build a huge really big grow chamber in my garage.

wouldn't the big trees mess with the sun and temps?

See, this is another reason I hate gated communities as much as I hate the suburbs... AUGH!! SUBURBIA SUCKS!!!! ¬_¬

lol y dont u just build a fence like 15 ft high. its not a structure. but...wouldnt that rule or whatever make it so u can have ur house visible?? thanks

Brad

Those HOA rules are to prevent somebody from building a crappy-looking shed, and lowering the property values of everybody's homes around them.

If you're planning a nice-looking greenhouse, you may wish to speak to the HOA representatives and see if they'll let you do it. Show them the plans, and a picture of what the final project would look like.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 03 2005,5:37)]See, this is another reason I hate gated communities as much as I hate the suburbs... AUGH!! SUBURBIA SUCKS!!!! ¬_¬
Ever heard the term "generica"?

Suburbia with nothing but chain stores and restaurants, neighborhoods with cookie-cutter homes, etc.

yea I know I can make a presentation, but get this. Its strange. I have to have a contractor present, to assure them everything is up to code. I was just going to buy one of those nice ones. Hmm oh well maybe I can see if anyof my friends know any contractors or anything.

I can't build the fence taller, thats even worse I'd imagin. Yea I realize why the rules are here but I doubt anyone that would live here to begin with would want to have a crappy shed in their yard. So, monday I'll call them up and see whats up with green houses.

Can you somehow attach it to your house and say its a sun room?

One of my favorite X Files shows was the gated community episode. Make sure you have approval for whatever you build and maintain it well.

the contracter code part is standard procedure

well, yea, I'm sure the being up to code is standard no matter where you live. But Can you imagine how expensive it would be to just hire a contractor to tell the board what you "might" be doing? Thats rediculous. Hmm I might get away with the sunroom part. That might be easier to approve since it would be an attachment that would have to look like the house or at least match it.

Yea there are some good scifi shows with the plot beinga crazy gated community.

hey in some areas any raised patheay over 4 inches requires a railing, an any water area deeper than 5 requires a fence around it

That's why I refuse to live in a place like that. I would be much happier living outside the city limits where the only rules I have are my own.

build a greenhouse that looks like a huge SUV and they won't have a problem with it.
smile_n_32.gif

thats really dumb, why dont you build like a higher fence where the greenhouse would be visible?

Well, If you are intending to build a nice one, I doubt your home owners association will have a problem with it.. That being said, the homeowners association in my in-laws neighborhood took exception at their christmas decorations last year "Overly Religious Signs" (One sign that sais Jesus is the reason for the season) and put a lean on their house. (while other houses with other signs that were much larger went unscathed. (Note: this is not an invitation to religious debate!) It all has to do with what type of idiots are sitting on your homeowners association board, just like you said.

That being said, if you present your plans beforehand, and appropriately, comply with local ordinances in design and so forth, and you are denied, you have two extremely viable options:

1) Run for office, and have like minded friends run for office, and push through your greenhouse while in office if you win.

2) Lawyer up. Home Owners associations are not rich, at least most are not, they usually pull in enough money for a few parties a year and to pay a security guard to watch the gate. When they see that in all likely hood, all that money will be squandered in legal defense, it is very likely they will cave without ever going to court.

This is going to more and more become a hot topic issue, home owners associations are getting ridiculous in their by-laws, and some neighborhoods, not all, are getting ridiculous in their enforcement of it. It's one thing to put a PVC and painters plastic hoop house up, but a victorian style greenhouse is something of beauty that will enhance all that can see it. I think we are going to see some court rulings in the near future truncating the rights of these associations.

Oh, funny thought, get Ozzy to send you some Carrion Flower bulbs... and next year, put them out when they bloom. When the neighbors complain, tell them quite simply, "Oh, the greenhouse would have charcoal filtered the air... sorry."

smile.gif

Back