What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tannersville pennsylvania bog tour

JBL

Hi All,
Last year I took my kids on a guided tour with a local Pennsylvania chapter of the Sierra Club to the Tannersville Cranberry Bog in Pocono area PA.  This was a really cool bog with a boardwalk, and the tours are only done by appointment through the nature conservancy.  If interested in doing this, please let me know
Joe L. (JBL)

This is the link describing the bog

http://www.mcconservation.org/Environ....e-11481

Yep.

Great! That's one. Jim Scott, can we count you in? I'll buy icecream!

Hey,I want ice cream!*Niki*

I'm in! Niki, you'll just have to go to Coldstone Creamery! Chocolate, right?

JBL,
I can place the bog trip on the SEPACPS website as well.

Do I get icecream as well?
smile_m_32.gif

OK, place away, and yes, you get icecream, and anyone going will get it my treat. The 2-3 dollar donation to the Nature Conservancy; however, comes from you guys. Not a bad deal, huh?

This ends about 100 yards from my house, there are supossed to be many species of bladderworts in this area. Never even heard of them till a few weeks ago, so if I can find any out there this summer I'll snap some photos.
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/sna/sna368.htm
This area connects to another public wetland. Altogether I believe it is close to 3600 acres of public land.

Wait a second! You're from SE PA?! Welcome!
smile.gif

Wow there's actually a CP place in PA?! WOOO HOOOO!!! My parents go to the Poconos like 15 times a year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ChronoKiento @ April 05 2005,8:43)]Wow there's actually a CP place in PA?! WOOO HOOOO!!! My parents go to the Poconos like 15 times a year.
Hi Kyle,
Yes, there are actually a few places, and probably more than one in the Pocono area.  When I was a kid I went to a bog in Western PA called Spruce Flats: 28 acres of open quaking bog space--very cool.

For this bog in Tannersville, you can only do it by appointment with the Nature Conservancy.  Check with your parents about going along with you, and once we have enough interest I'll contact the Nature Conservancy and throw a date or two out to everyone.
Joe

To All Who Expressed Interest,
I will contact the Monroe County Pennsylvania Environmental Education Center on Monday, April 11th. I'll ask for a date for a Saturday excursion into the bog. I'll then send that date out to everone for availability.
Thanks
JBL

Thank you for your initiative!

A date has been set for anyone interested. June 11 at 2PM. Please PM me for details. I tried to get alternate dates but these book fast.

Well, I couldn't get alternate dates in May or June--they really do seem to book fast. How about July or August? I'll try again. BTW, obviously forgot about Hummer day, and I guess I should go to that! Will PAK be there? Others??

You should make it the same week as the Nascar race.

Are you serious Ozzy? Nascar Pocono race is Sunday, July 24. Will you be there, or are you just making sport? I can shoot for Saturday, July 23.

That's fine with me!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 11 2005,7:07)]That's fine with me!
JimScott--you'll agree to anything when ice cream's involved huh? Are you going to John Hummer's place June 11? We could carpool!!

Back