What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ligting for terrium

I am thinking about getting a 55 gallon tank to make a terrarium for my CP's. I was comparing the prices of the lighting systems and was HORRIFIED at the price at a local pet store. They wanted $139 for a 48" two-light shop-light thing, so two of those would cost $278!!! Of course I walked out of the pet store and headed IMMEDIATLEY to Home Depot. They have them there for only $7.97 for a 48" two-light shop-light. PERFECT!
smile.gif

Oops! Sorry I misspelled terrarium in the title......
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hmmmmmm...........Do you have a question or is this just an informative. I don't mean to sound rude but most everyone knows about the great price for a cheap light setup at HD or Lowes. If thats the case it didn't really need a topic. I am pretty good with lighting setups as well as a few others on here, I'd love to answer a question if ya got one.

Joe

Guess I could phrase this into some questions then:  Is/are there ANY advantage(s) of purhcasing the ones at the pet store vs. the H.D.?  Are they better constructed to reflect more light?  Are they well constructed and made to last longer?  What is the quality of the H.D. brand like?

Ahh.......Ok, I got it. Um.....NO not really! They just pretty much try to play on you being there while setting up a tank and it's convenient. The only advantage is that the ones at the pet store have a lid that will cover your tank but WHOOPEE really. You can cover it with something else for the price difference. Unless you want a higher light quality then the HD garage strip lights are excellent.

Joe

For the price of the Pet store flourecent strips, you might aswell buy a Metal halide retro fit! heh

-Jc

[b said:
Quote[/b] (superimposedhope @ April 05 2005,4:49)]Hmmmmmm...........Do you have a question or is this just an informative. I don't mean to sound rude but most everyone knows about the great price for a cheap light setup at HD or Lowes. If thats the case it didn't really need a topic. I am pretty good with lighting setups as well as a few others on here, I'd love to answer a question if ya got one.

Joe
I dont mean to sound rude, but since when is it necessary to have a question for a post to be "valid"??  
smile_l_32.gif

if that were the case, 80% of the threads on this site should have never been made..  
smile_l_32.gif

never knew we had such a rule here, my mistake..

I found something cool, CP related, at a local Lowes..but I dont dare mention it now because probably "everyone already knows that".
wouldnt want to offend the topic police..
smile_l_32.gif

Scot

ok !?!

I wasn't really shootin for sarcasm but whatever.
In case you hadn't noticed, topics like this generally get ignored because people get tired of goin over it again and again. I was tryin to at least stimulate it a little further so it wouldn't just drop down the list with no replies. I didn't know if he had a question and just didn't phrase it right so I proded a bit. Excuse me! Ironic how you spam the topic just to post about me policing it. You aren't no more innocent of "policing" topics than I am so drop it!

Frog,
I'm sorry if it came off that way to you.
Joe

$uper!mposedhop3

I find the best place to get lighting equipment is from police auctions. I got two grow light hoods, four bulbs and a chainsaw for under a hundred bucks!

Back