What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Played hooky, went hiking today.

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Actually I did not really play hooky, I told the boss Monday I was taking off today because it going to be the nicest day here in SE PA of the spring season so far.
I ended up hiking for 10 1/2 miles. I'm a bit tired now.
Here are 8 pictures of some selected items I photographed while hiking. I also found 3 geocaches if anyone here knows what that is.

post-24-1112839382.jpg

post-24-1112839445.jpg

A lichen covered rock with a fern growing on it.
post-24-1112839511.jpg

Lunch break.
post-24-1112839579.jpg

While I was eating I saw this frog go right below me. He posed nice for a picture.
post-24-1112839665.jpg

Just about half way around the lake. The car is over there somewhere.
post-24-1112839731.jpg

Pond scum.
post-24-1112839795.jpg

Not pond scum, massive amounts of frog eggs. Spring Peepers singing all over the place, but no one wanted to get there picture taken. I should have used the polarizer for this shot, but was lazy.
post-24-1112839911.jpg

Great photos Steve! I'd be happy to share pics of all the industrialized areas I went through while WORKING today. But I don't begrudge you. At least you planned rather than play hookey. You're a good example to all of us delinquents who *cough/hack/wheeze* call out sick. Thanks for sharing these beautiful scenes

Thanks JBL.

Here's my trip out of the GPS unit I have. Actually it says I hiked 11.9 miles.
post-24-1112843283.jpg

Wow Steve! How long did it take you to hike all that?

Geocacheing rocks!!  awsome pics, I love the first one... any clue what it is?  I'd love one!

Thanks for sharing!

-Jc

I like that one too! It looks like a Pasque flower a little bit to me. They bloom in very early spring. I've probably already missed mine blooming.

Wow...beautiful photos and what a wonderful hike! I love these photos of other people's areas. Very interesting.
smile.gif

Glad you enjoyed the pictures.

I do not know that the first plant is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BigCarnivourKid @ April 06 2005,1:16)]Wow Steve! How long did it take you to hike all that?
My traveling time was right around 4 and a half hours.
I had a stopped time of around 2 and a half hours. This includes lunch looking at flowers, bugs, turtles, pictures, trying to find snakes, and the 3 caches I found.
So the whole trip took 7 hours till I got back to the car.

Nice photos looks like a good day was had there
smile.gif

Bye for now julian

i lkove that first one, i wish we could ID it

Nice. Wow you have a lot of frogs. The tree-frogs are starting to come back (from seemingly near extinction) as of last spring. Now we actually see them. They love to sit in the rain gutter and "sing" which is more like a loud croke which can wake you up it's so loud.
Do you happen to know what type of frog?

the frog looks like either a pickrel (sp?) frog or a leopard frog...
so what IS a geocache? sounds like a cache (sp?) of rocks :p

Treaqum,
I would go with TheAlphaWolf suggestions on the frog.

TheAlphaWolf,
Geocaching

Thank's alpha. I am not good at identifying frogs, yet.

Love geocaching! So you're into it too? Looks like a northern leopard frog, I am even more sure because of your location. Not too familiar with caches up there, but in the Texas area..
blues.gif
Man, the times I have had and the scrapes I've gotten trying to get said caches
confused.gif

Sort of looks like a classic Leopard Frog to me but I can't really see it from the top to see the spots real well. The Pickeral Frogs have classic squares on their dorsal surface while the spot on Leopard Frogs are more round. And then there are those prominant dorsolateral ridges. It's a female whatever it is because the eardrum looks smaller than her eye. There is a man named Ron Lane that could probably tell for sure. Hope he sees this thread.

Oh, the flowers... might be Anemone patens and Sanguinaria canadensis. Very beautiful. Steve, looks as if you had a wonderful day. Wish I had been in any area that nice today. The weather was perfect by us. Sunshine and in the high 40's and I was stuck inside all day long. Thanks for the pics. Boy! Do you ever take a bad photo?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lithopsman @ April 07 2005,8:28)]Love geocaching! So you're into it too?
Yes, just started in mid-Feb this year.

I have been thinking of getting a GPS for several years, especially after just about getting lost 3 or 4 years ago in CA hiking Castle Crags.
With all the hiking, canoeing, and mountain biking I do, it's been long overdo getting one. Geocaching is just an extra bonus when I'm out and about now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ April 07 2005,8:42)]Do you ever take a bad photo?
Thanks for the comment. None that I would ever show.
smile_n_32.gif

I'm very picky about my photos and most get deleted. In fact a few that I showed here were to show and I will not backup to keep.

The first flower is Hepatica Acutiloba. Or just plain hepatica. The 2nd flower is Bloodroot. April

Back