Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 09 2005,10:19)]umm.. yeah so anyway...
    main site
    you can go there and then go to resources, downloads, moss grower's handbook. I don't know... you might like it. If I remember right then there are also some pictures and other stuff.
    Very interesting site AlphaWolf. This is not my area of interest except that I recently obtained a piece of amber with two flowers and a bryophyte inclusion: a very pretty piece.

I went to this site, and here is a blurb from doing a search for 'bryophytes in amber':
    "Bryophyte specimens preserved in amber consist of little more than impressions and there is very little tissue present. Since amber is not soluble, and is too brittle to cut, preparation of amber for study usually involves grinding and polishing to provide thin sections and smooth surfaces."

When I look at, it looks like more than an impression. I'll put it under a microscope, and let you know.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool! can you take micrographs? I'd sure like to see them.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's great man, could you PM the link to me?
    I'd love to page around and see what they have for sale.

That Moss Gardening book is pretty good but If you wanted a more serious study on Lichens, there's a great big book (at most borders and barnes & noble) the Lichens of North America that's a book! It's a weighty and pricey volume but definately the one to get for stuff you'll find creeping along in our forests. There's an Encyclopaedia of Bryophytes too but I Missed my chance to get that one. I hate buying a book I can't page through before purchasing.

I can't wait to see your tank! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh that's right! lichens...
    http://waynesword.palomar.edu/pljan98.htm#soredia.gif (warning: takes forever to load!)
    that site (waynesword) rocks. just go to index to see all of the articles. some long, some short, but 90% of them very informative. tons of pictures too.
    just remember: kingdom "monera" has now been split into eubacteria and archae. so there are SIX kingdoms of life! not just one.
    lol... i'm the link master!
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 09 2005,10:36)]cool! can you take micrographs? I'd sure like to see them.
    I wish I could AW (AlphaWolf is better that BryophyteBoy), but I don't have the equipment to do that. I will tell you that I just put it under 40X magnification and it sure does look like more than an impression. But when I bumped the magnification, I could not detect cells on either the bryophyte or on the flower petals. The stamen looked really cool on the flowers though. The problem is that unless you can do thin sections, and have cellular material preserved, the depth of a 1/2" deep piece of amber makes resolution tough. Sorry to let you down on micropics guys.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol I just stick the lens of my camera really close to the eye piece. you get a really sucky version but it's better than nothing.

lol... bryophyteboy... nature boy would be better. BryophyteBoy is didcriminating against all the other nature things I love :P
    I chose TheAlphaWolf just because it sounded cool... it's kind of a long story. my name evolved [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have some lichen growing on the sides of my old tank after it was outdoors for a bit it musty have esteblished
    that makes no logic

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey folks,
    AW, yeah, I don't pay as much attention to grammar on these things since I wouldn't consider my self a hobbyist of them. More like I involve them as part of my insistance on a fully self sustaining environment.

The link is Lichens and stuff

I had that book but some POS stole it from me. Hmmm.....what is the world coming to when a book of moss is not safe from theives? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] It is a very good jump into the hobby of collecting these things and for interested bonsai folks too. The guy has like 4 different houses in different parts of the world just to have different native mosses around his homes.

I'll have to check out the links yet, very busy day at work. It is nearing completion, but not quite yet done. BTW my Tillandsia are blooming for like 2 months now, each flower staying for a good week.

I really want these scale lichens to take hold but they are stubborn. Yet I too am persistant, on a good note they are no longer washing away with rain (artificial rain) rather they are staying put so I do not mess with them and hope it means they arebeginning to hold on.

JBL,
    AW is right, it is just an intentional misspell of my name - it too is evolving. It started as lowercase correctly spelled and has changed a couple times since. THE MOTH IS SPREADING ITS WINGS!

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast