User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone planting cps outside yet?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh i have! day temps in the high 70's. it's great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Houston TX.

I leave my Sarrs and VFTs outside year-round.

N. coccinea and N. miranda do well outside in the summer.

I've got a 2'X3' grassy spot between concrete blocks by my front door I am going to convert to a bog garden, and put some native Texas CPs in (S. alata, D. brevifolia, D. capillaris, U. subulata, and maybe P. pumila (if I can propagate those I have now).
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in So. Cal. my Sarracenia are already flowering and putting up pithcers. Of course, I just leave them out year round seeing as how weather here is a pretty warm compared most of the US.
    \"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.\" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey scottychaos! Very impressive website and I like the way you explained all of your photos, thank you for all the time you spent on that as I picked up quite a few great ideas. I really need to start clicking on the www buttons that people have because your site was absolutely great. I must be missing a lot of good stuff at other peopleís sites if yours is representative of what is out there.

Hi Jim, I have one D. filliformis ssp filliformis, one D. intermedia, and one D. rotundifolia that really aren't looking all that alive. Matter of fact, they look pretty darn dead.

I figured I might as well stick the dead Drosera outside so I did as it certainly can't hurt them. They are in a washing machine discharge tray I bought a few days ago. The Drosera were in small pots over the winter and I am thinking I screwed up on those and let them dry out in my garage. I thought I was anal but I must have screwed up somewhere over the course of the winter. I checked out the way scottychaos bagged his plants to overwinter them and I will probably try that next year... if I remember. The plants in the larger pots I had in the garage all over the winter all look fine. I have those same Drosera that are toast in seed though so I should be ok in the way of replacements in about two years. I am definitely sticking those seedlings outside on the patio on or around May 1st. I also have some D. anglica seedlings that will go outside as well as D. capensis. Other than that, I plan on placing every last Sarracenia (exclude the Darlingtonia) seedling outside also.

As of today, I placed virtually every potted temperate CP out on my back patio. I had no intentions of allowing any to bloom this year so I figured the threat of frost wouldnít affect my plants. I did check the 10 day weather for this area and it looks as if our day time highs will be around 50 and night time lows will be in the mid to high 30ís or low 40ís so getting plants outside was probably a good move. I donít have a lot of plants so if I see a forecast that even suggests it might freeze, I know I will haul them all inside although it is probably unnecessary. The Darlingtonia is still inside as are all of the Utricularia and Pinguicula.

Iíve decided I am going to hold off transplanting any CPs directly into the ground right now. The soil is still partially frozen and I had a bummer of a time getting a bunch of small (pint and quart sized) spring ephemerals in the ground today. I had a two gallon Fothergilla shrub that was definitely a no go as my shovel hit what I thought was rock but it was really frozen ground. Another few weeks, but no longer than a month, and the frost line should be gone. Good thing too as I have orders coming in and they arenít house plants.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12