What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on blooms

Many of my plants are sending up flower scapes.

I choose to not let any of my plants flower this year so that they do not expend energy unnecessarily. I'd like them to have a better chance at surviving transplant.

My question is should I nip the flower down by the base of the plant... this is what I have been doing OR should I nip it right under the bud leaving the stem in place to die back on its own?  My reason for asking this question is that the stem should still be photosynthesizing even if it is "budless". That would be more energy transferring down until the stem dies back.

Thoughts please as I have quite a few to nip right now and I need to know whether to revert to nipping them off down at the base or changing nipping practices.

I nip at the base, but not sure that it really matters. I can't imagine that just the stem would transfer that much energy, and many plants are clipped down to rhizome before dormancy come back just fine--for me anyway.

The only plants who flowering exhausts is Venus Flytraps.
Everything else can flower with no problems at all.
I let all my plants except for VFTs flower.

I have read about VFTs and to flower or not to flower for them, regardless of whether they have recently been transplanted or not, seems to be heavily debated. Let the heavy hitters duke it out over that one as I think I will continue to encourage my son to nip the buds on his VFTs yearly until at such point in time as his plants are considerably larger and then only if he is interested in attempting to germinate some seed from his own plants.

I don't know if CPs are the same as plants that are indigenous to my area but I really attempt to stop those from flowering the first year I transplant them. Indigenous plants actually do use a tremendous amount of energy to be able to bloom. If a plant isn't stressed, this is generally not a problem. Unfortunately, transplanting a plant does stress it and can set a plant back several years in its development. As far as the native plants, they really need to be able to put down roots and send out new growth to be able to survive. There are many species that flat out just don't transplant well at all if I allow them to bloom.

As far as the flower stems, I was really just sort of wondering if it was best to take them off down to the base of the plant so they would dry up faster to avoid the possibility of pathogens invading the plant or if it might not be better for the plant to leave the flower stalk in place so it could continue to harvest energy until it began dieing back on its own.

If anyone knows the answer to this, I would be most appreciative. Break time is over and back outside I go!

Back