Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking my cps outside.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe he's referring to the pot's you use for violets, and yes Jim they sell them at Lowes. I use them for quite a few if my CP's.
    I always suspect everything could be a trap... thats why I'm still alive
    N.A.S.C. Region 9 Head Grower

http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/ZAK

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm.......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimscott...you must have really good catnip over at your place.....:laugh: My cats want to know where you get it...they would like some.

I re-potted my Lowe's treasures last weekend..my darlingtonia is toast, I think. Very "crunchy". I tried...it would have been a goner anyway. The Sarr X Judith Hindle is doing ok. Getting ready to move it into full sun. I haven't re-potted the drosera because I'm not quite sure what kind of medium I should re-pot it into, but it still looks very healthy.

And what's this about giving dilute milk to pitcher plants? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find self watering pots work nicely for the wetland orchids I grow in coir/vermiculite/perlite. But not so nicely for my Sarrs in LFS & sponge rock. They seem to stay on the dry side and, although most of the Sarrs seem fine, the LFS doesn't thrive. I form wicks of the LFS to soak up the water and carry up into the potting mix.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ April 14 2005,9:50)]Jimscott...you must have really good catnip over at your place.....:laugh: My cats want to know where you get it...they would like some.

I re-potted my Lowe's treasures last weekend..my darlingtonia is toast, I think. Very "crunchy". I tried...it would have been a goner anyway. The Sarr X Judith Hindle is doing ok. Getting ready to move it into full sun. I haven't re-potted the drosera because I'm not quite sure what kind of medium I should re-pot it into, but it still looks very healthy.

And what's this about giving dilute milk to pitcher plants? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Hey April,

I'll see what I can do!

Seriously, what kinds of Droseras do you have. Some do best outside and some do very well at a SW window sill.

Darlingtonia are VERY touchy plants. Last summer I bought a 3 in 1 cube that was obviously neglected and I decide to re-pot the Darlingtonia, D. adelae, and VFT. The latter responded well. The Darlingtonia wilted within hours. Ther's more to its story, but.....

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember reading on here several times about how African violet self-watering pots aren't good for CPs because they don't keep the soil as moist as it needs to be for CPs.

April, I put all my plants in a 2:1 mix of Canadian sphagnum peat moss and regular perlite. As for the milk thing, I give all my plants (except the VFTs) a drop or two of regular whole milk approximately once a month.. it's like steroids. I used to use chunks of cheese for my dew-producing plants, and it always used to work, but for some reason, with my current same species, it rots the ping leaves and the D. adelae doesn't even try to digest it. I have no idea why these plants are suddenly acting different than all others of the same species that I've ever had. Anyhoo, now I just give them a drop of milk, just like the Sarrs and Nep. Sometimes it kills a Ping leaf, but it always digests the milk first.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    k, I got some 8" pots from Lowes and some sphagnum moss, I did not see any peat or perlite. Can the both pitchers be planted in 100% sphagnum moss? I also got another fly trap from there (my dog ate one of my fly traps so I have to get a replacement hehe ) can they be planted the same way?
    \"Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.\"
    - Seinfeld - George

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... that could be an issue. Weird that Lowe's doesn't have Canadian sphagnum peat moss (and yes, that's exactly what it would say on the bag) or perlite.. that's really bizarre. I'd say search around at any other place you have nearby until you find it... you can also use sand instead of perlite, but I prefer perlite, just because you can't trust all sand, and everywhere you read about using sand, the instructions for what to use is always vague, and nobody ever has a real, specific answer for exactly what to use, so I don't trust sand as much as good ol' reliable perlite. Just make sure it's plain, sure perlite, not that fertilized stuff they sometimes have.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast