Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another job opportunity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might want to consider applying for that position and interviewing for it if the opportunity to do so presents itself. 6k a year is a lot of money. If you are offered the position at the hospital and if you believe you would feel comfortable there, let them know you are very interested and ask for 48 hours to get back to them with a decision. That would be the time you discuss a new offer with your current employer. No employer of merit should ever begrudge an employee the opportunity to better him/herself. Worse case scenario is that your current employer likes your work product so much that he/she is willing to match the pay to keep you. Should this new opportunity pan out for you, please be gracious and let the hospital know that you feel the need to give two week notice to your existing employer.

On the flip side of the coin, the position you are currently in may be a stepping stone to an annual income far greater than that which the hospital may ever be able to offer. I suspect most graphics design firms are looking for experience as well as a portfolio. Staying put may enable you to get that 2 years of experience in the field you love and it may also enable you to put together a great portfolio of your work product.

Another point to ponder, that position at the hospital may be a dead end position. Most hospitals contract out for their marketing as well as their graphiscs design. But, they certainly do generally have 401 k and other benefits that a small graphics design firm may never be in a position to offer.

Yes, you are correct... decisions, decisions, decisions. Best wishes to you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (endparenthesis @ April 10 2005,10:20)]Are you really one of the graphic designers? Or some sort of apprentice? I've never heard of a graphic designer getting paid so little, honestly. Maybe the market has gotten worse than I thought... but as far as I know none of the graphic designers the people I work for contract get paid that little.
    Well, I interned there for free September - November last year. Now I graduated college in December and started working there the beginning of February. I'm wondering if it's because of the lack of experience that they are paying me so low. I completely agree with you about the pay being much higher for graphic designers.

I get to sit down and talk to the accountant tommorrow about it. He was gone friday or else I would have found out then. I'll find out what exactly I get for benefits as well. From what it sounds like it isn't much. Half of my health insurance is paid for, but only if it is with their group plan, which might not be as good as mine now and may be a little more expensive. So I don't really know............I guess I will know more when I talk to him. I'll ask him what kind of salary I can look forward to in the future, and mention that I kind of expected a little more. He seems like a nice guy.

First day of full time here I come [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I'll post tomorrow on my findings.
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ April 10 2005,11:15)]On the flip side of the coin, the position you are currently in may be a stepping stone to an annual income far greater than that which the hospital may ever be able to offer. I suspect most graphics design firms are looking for experience as well as a portfolio. Staying put may enable you to get that 2 years of experience in the field you love and it may also enable you to put together a great portfolio of your work product.

Another point to ponder, that position at the hospital may be a dead end position. Most hospitals contract out for their marketing as well as their graphiscs design. But, they certainly do generally have 401 k and other benefits that a small graphics design firm may never be in a position to offer.

Yes, you are correct... decisions, decisions, decisions. Best wishes to you.
    Very good points........I'll think hard about it. Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12