Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another job opportunity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noticed that there is another job opportunity here. I'm currently working at the graphic design company that I interned at. I was really hoping to work there, and was happy to get the job and have been working part-time since feb. I go full time on monday. I have been working for $8.00/hour, and now that I'm full time they are bumping me up to $8.75/hour, and after a month of full time, I'll be $9.75/hour. I was excited to get the news of full time and a little more pay, but I thought that it would be a little higher than $9.75. It seems like graphic design is kind of a more specialized job.

I saw in the paper that there is a job opening at the hospital here in town for a PC technician. The starting salary is $12.99/hour. That's alot more than what I'm making, and that's the starting salary! No degree required.

So now I'm wondering if I should take that job.......It would be great to the get better pay, and alot better benefits at the hospital. But, I have only been working here for 2 months, and it is in the field that I got my degree in. I'm sure it's making me a better designer too. So I don't really know what to do........I suppose it wouldn't hurt to apply there and see what it's like. There's pros and cons for each side. What are your guys' thoughts?

- Joel
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The real question is do you care about your job now or would you rather have more money at a job you don't really know about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well, It can't hurt to investigate it. Apply, interview, and see what they say, since you already havea position, it's a shoppers market for you. If you like it go, if you dont, dont.

Also, not a good idea to post your earnings here. What if your IT guy tracks your usage and just found out what you make? If he's cool, he will ignore it, if he's super cool, he will warn you that tracking occurs and he saw it, if he's a small, well your post would find out.

Better safe than sorry, never ever ever discuss your salary in anything but general terms, and even then, you probably shouldn't do it.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ April 10 2005,5:15)]well, It can't hurt to investigate it. Apply, interview, and see what they say, since you already havea position, it's a shoppers market for you. If you like it go, if you dont, dont.
    Very true.....I will check it out on monday on my lunch break.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ April 10 2005,5:15)]Also, not a good idea to post your earnings here. What if your IT guy tracks your usage and just found out what you make? If he's cool, he will ignore it, if he's super cool, he will warn you that tracking occurs and he saw it, if he's a small, well your post would find out.

Better safe than sorry, never ever ever discuss your salary in anything but general terms, and even then, you probably shouldn't do it.
    What do you mean? My IT guy at work? I'm at home right now posting. Why would it hurt if he found out what I'm making right now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design work was what you wanted to do a couple months ago. Is it still? If it is, don't leave it for $3 more per hour. Unless you need it to support someone or need those benefits. If starting pay in graphic design is $10, you'll probably never go back to it if you become accustomed to $13 or more doing something else.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Design work is one of the things that I like doing, but I'm getting $12 - $15 right now doing freelance graphics work. The other business that I had thought about starting was a computer repair business.

I do enjoy doing graphics work and would continue to do so for the clients I have right now, and hopefully get more clients in the future. It's a tough choice.........I know that I would continue to develop my design skills doing graphics every day at work, but more pay is also enticing. $3 more an hour works out to be roughly $6,000 more a year. Decisions decisions..........

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been told that leaving a job for more pay is the best reason for leaving a job. Afterall a company would like to think that you would make them more money when you can, why wouldn't you do it for yourself?

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you really one of the graphic designers? Or some sort of apprentice? I've never heard of a graphic designer getting paid so little, honestly. Maybe the market has gotten worse than I thought... but as far as I know none of the graphic designers the people I work for contract get paid that little.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast