What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This has a good possibility of passing...

Just curious... how does a hunter get satisfaction stalking and killing a vicious feral cat? Is this law really about hunting or extermination?

Seems like it's kinda like going to the dump and shooting rats.

depends on how feal the cat is. the ones ive shot have been not much more than "shooting rats at the dump" but i live in the country and have just shot out an open window. so i saw the cat before they saw me(please remember almost every cat i have shot either had attacked or was harassing my ducks and geese). i had to shoot a couple old toms that were barn cats out at my grandmas. these guys were tearing up her other cats. these guys were quite smart, a real pain to get anywhere near and almost as secritive as a bobcat. finally it took a food dish, a couple days of waiting and alot of distance between me and the cats before i even got a shot at them. sporting? not sure, felt like it to me but it was more of a chore that needed to be done than a hunt

You wouldn't believe it but my little siamese cat caught a bald eagle last night! What do you think I should do with the feathers... I don't wanna get arrested!
smile_h_32.gif

I saw on Animal Planet where six alleycats took down a cloned Wolly Mammoth!
I also heard where a group of cats were planning to fly to Borneo and collect the remaining N. clipeata off the cliffs and sell them on Ebay....

We must stop the cats!
mad.gif

51 counties approved, 20 rejected, and 1 tied.

My neighbors lets his "house" cats roam outside all day while he is at work.  They used to hunt lizards and frogs until a really big male Iguana took to sunning himself on my concrete patio.  This guy is big, mean and very protective of his much littler girlfriend.  No more cats in my yard.
I hope the two produce a litter? clutch? herd?...a family this spring.
And guys, I don't want to hear that Iguanas taste just like chicken.  
laugh.gif

I had to put the smiley face in just to make sure no one is offended at my attempt at humor.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swords @ April 13 2005,1:41)]You wouldn't believe it but my little siamese cat caught a bald eagle last night! What do you think I should do with the feathers... I don't wanna get arrested!
smile_h_32.gif
How do they taste.
smile_n_32.gif

I don't quite understand the sarcasm, this is becoming a major problem in many states including mine (Florida). They did a 2 year study here and concluded the trap-neuter-release program does not work since "new releases" negated any ground they had made on the problem. I also imagine that some of you would have a different mindset if it were say Sarracenia being destoyed by feral cats instead of songbirds and small mammals.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ April 12 2005,9:38)]Dang a cat that brings down a rabbit?? Wouldnt wanna mess with that kitty!
lol, we must have two different ways of thinking. the average cottontail around here is half the size of your average house cat, not that hard for a determined cat to kill one and they do. your average dog will have a ball chasing a rabbit but it would be unlikely for them to catch it, though it does happen. a cat with a lot of practice hunting birds will have a decent chance of catching a cottontail. when ever we had alot of cats around my parents house we never had cottontails but if a neighbor with cats moved and who ever moved in didnt have cats, after about 6 months the cottontails would move back in.

granted if a cat ever tried to catch a jackrabbit around here, especially one of the bigger bucks, i think the cat would get thumped pretty good if it actually caught the jack.

I've got mixed feelings about this.

Well I raise rabbits and one of my kitties has felt the wrath of bunny foo foo. Let me tell ya it wasnt pretty unless pretty funny counts. Darn cat didnt even see it commin. My mini rex are a little smaller than kitty cats.

Lauderdale I beleve the term youre lookin for is clutch

and on a side note (in mod mode now) since this is a touchy subject to some please keep the sarcasm down to a minimum
smile_m_32.gif

Although I am a big animal lover, I can understand why something like that has to be done. If the feral population is out of control, its no different than rabbits and deer who destroy crops and end up getting killed on highways and hurt in people's yard as they forage for food. Its one thing to HAVE to kill the cats but its another if someone gets a kick out of killing them and thinks its fun. Thats pretty sick to me. I don't really like hunting but at least most hunter's make use of their kills.

All this can be chalked up to human interferance. We killed off all the natural predators of certain animals to protect crops and cattle--wolves, mountain lions, etc. Now we have to deal with the effects of over population. And if people took proper care of their pets, dogs and cats, and got them spayed and neutered like they should, you wouldn't have this exploding feral problem. Wild dogs can be a problem as well.

I'd just hate to see someone's pet get shot. Although a pet cat should have a collar and ID tag. My cats were always kept indoors yet were still spayed and neutered.

Its a very tough and sad issue...

in my opinion, the online petitions that already number with +20,000 signatures will not work because its not a board legeslating but people voting on weather or not they want this law. Most signatures are probably not in the area in witch they are opting to legalize shooting and thus are quiet and voicless because only the people who live in those counties have any say in this matter, and they have been heard. I this proposal fals trough the cracks it will not be because of some petition.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ April 13 2005,1:59)]I dont understand why if feral cats are in your area why not put out live traps? They do it here all the time and take the cats to the shelter.
We put out live traps here.  We trap the feral cats, and spay/neuter and get them their shots.  Then, as if by majick, we take a liking to them.  Then, magically, they come and live in the house.  I have 10 cats.  My neighborhood has been pretty well stripped of feral cats.  There's still one or two out there.  We'll get them eventually, I guess.  April

unfortunatly most peole arnt as kind hearted and willing to take them in

i am extreamly impressed by your good naturedness April. you are doing a wondrful service. dont get yourself over whelmed though. keep up the work though i imagine your pocket book takes a hit for the spaying and neutering. thats not cheap.

Rattler,

Luckily, we have a low-cost spay/neuter program out here through Orphans of the Storm.  A neuter is $15, and a spay is $25.  Tests and shots are $20 more. Still, whilst all this rescuing was going on...DH was un-employed. But, they are all worth it, IMO...and there's the added benefit of that much less environmental damage done, too. and they're just nice kitties to have around, which is it's own reward.  I still say...Kill the windows!  April

Unknownclown,

are you saying to me that bunnies and cats can strike some sort of concord? Because we both really want a rabbit or two.  And some chickens...and a dog and some horses, and well...one of everything else would be nice,
smile_n_32.gif
april

Now now now April, nurse Diesel just dinged the bell... it's medication time honey.

How about an ark for two of everything for April, and restraints for you, Laura?  OK, I know enough (I think) from PMing you two that you'll laugh, I hope.
smile_n_32.gif

Back