User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This has a good possibility of passing...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "La Crosse firefighter Mark Smith, 48, helped lead the cat-hunting proposal. He wants Wisconsin to declare free-roaming wild cats an unprotected species, just like skunks or gophers. Anyone with a small-game license could shoot the cats at will.

At least two other upper Midwestern states, South Dakota and Minnesota, allow wild cats to be shot -- and have for decades. Minnesota defines a wild, or feral, cat as one with no collar that does not show friendly behavior, said Kevin Kyle with that state's Department of Natural Resources.

Every year in Wisconsin alone, an estimated 2 million wild cats kill 47 million to 139 million songbirds, according to state officials. Despite the astounding numbers, Smith's plan has been met with fierce opposition from cat lovers."

excerpted from here- http://www.cnn.com/2005....ex.html

Quite frankly, I am a proponent of this. I am not an evil person and I do not hate cats. I have 8 of my own and they receive routine veterinary care as well as annual vaccinations and my cats are all indoor only companion pets to insure they do not spread disease, mutilate or "kill" wildlife, or annoy neighbors. I am saddened when I hear of people who are so frustrated with stray/feral cats that they resort to poisons and some even resort to jaw traps. This is inhumane in my humble opinion as it is not the cat's fault.

The havoc wreaked in the environment as a result of stray/feral cats is irrefutable. The public health issues associated with these stray/feral cats alone warranted this type of action decades ago. Illinois is an extremely liberal state so I am hoping this passes in Wisconsin as it has in other states as hopefully we will follow suit. Our DNR is virtually broke and spay & neuter aka TNR (trap neuter release) does not work. Additionally, the possibility exists that TNR may ultimately be found to violate the Migratory Bird Treaty Act as well as the Endangered Species Act. Sadly, there are alternatives to allowing these stray/feral cats to roam however one rarely sees them discussed given so many cat lovers subscribe to anthropomorphic ideologies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am with you 100% on this Laura. i view feral cats as no different than any other wild varmit. i have had to shoot several wild cats that were terrorizing my ducks and geese. i have no problems with pet cats but feral ones do way more harm than good.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I voted yes. Unfortunatly, it is only a conservation congress question. Which has very little actual bearing on state regulations. It would take a vote by the state congress to actually get this passed into law.

I do have to say in my counties meeting 90% of the people where in favor of this. Most wanted more information on the matter.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This topic is another on that has the potential to get out of hand. I'm sure everybody knows what has happened here yesterday and a few weeks ago. I beg you to keep this civil. I don't want there to be any hurt feelings over this, but if it even looks like it's about to get out of hand it'll be locked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work so darn hard in my wetlands that I actually get upset when I see frog legs dangling out of the side of a stray/feral cats mouth. Amphibian populations are in serious decline. Uneaten birds in piles of feathers in my yard don't exactly thrill me either given the decline in songbird populations. So senseless. Those animals are part of that wetland ecosystem. They belong just as the CPs that grow there belong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably comes down to which is cuter, cats or birds, for a lot of people. I'm not a fan of anthropomorphizing either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    true Ozzy, problem is this is one of those gray areas. it is a political thread but it has direct ties to conservation. this is where i get worried about banning political threads cause it will have serious impact on the conservation forum.

anyways Laura placed this up cause she fully thinks it has direct ties to wetland conservation(among other areas). it has been a long known, and well documented fact that the average pet cat has more to do with song bird decline in citys and decently populated rural areas than most anything else. cats are just extreamly efficiant hunters.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not questioning the fact that the subject is valid. I just don't want us to lose anymore members over something like this. I have seen topics like this explode. I just don't want it to happen here, again. I just asked that everybody be civil.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast