Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The recipie for prejudice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I couldn't find it at that link, so did a little search and think this is what you're looking at: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tm....blood_2.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too funny, Ozzy! You made me spit my drink all over the monitor.......

Anyway...did anyone ever hear of the study done with 3rd graders, done in the late 60's, early 70's, I believe....

The teachers were instructed to inform selected classes that blue-eyed children were superior to brown eyed children. Or maybe vice-versa, I don't remember. The blue-eyed children were given special priviledges, extra recess, etc., etc.

Sure enough...the brown-eyed kids were quickly oppressed by the blue-eyed ones and treated as 2nd class citizens. And this was all with one suggestion by a teacher.

Prejudice is easy to start...hard to stop!
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Suddenly I'm inspired to dig up one of my favorite books.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ April 14 2005,9:34)]Too funny, Ozzy! You made me spit my drink all over the monitor.......

Anyway...did anyone ever hear of the study done with 3rd graders, done in the late 60's, early 70's, I believe....

The teachers were instructed to inform selected classes that blue-eyed children were superior to brown eyed children. Or maybe vice-versa, I don't remember. The blue-eyed children were given special priviledges, extra recess, etc., etc.

Sure enough...the brown-eyed kids were quickly oppressed by the blue-eyed ones and treated as 2nd class citizens. And this was all with one suggestion by a teacher.

Prejudice is easy to start...hard to stop!
    Now do you remember the tongue and cheek skit that Saturday Night Live did, about light & dark...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 60's study is famous. It is used in virtually every history course since then. At our public library they asked for volunteers to re-enact it. I helped set up for the little kids. Has anyone seen the one with Tom Brokaw (sp?)? Same thing but done in the late 80's. It's the predicessor to reality TV. They picked people like a "skin head" and an outspoken young "Jewish girl" ("" for lack of better word). And had them talk one on one infornt of an audience about racism. Very interesting.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even know my blood type.

April, what about people with hazel eyes?
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People with hazel eyes are superior, of course. Just kidding...you know...I don't remeber what they did about kids who had hazel eyes...but I would suspect that the blue-eyed kids were superior to them, too.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they got mulatto treatment?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast