Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sorry if i dident know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kirk, the funny thing about legends......you take someone that is one-in-a-million. You think that person is special? In China, there are 100,000 of him, hahaha!!! So much for special!

Nah, I don't want to be a legend. What made me special, the fact I was willing to give away free plants and seeds? Sheesh! What a wonderful world it would be if that was nothing special at all, vs being some sort of flippin' legenday event.

Best to let the legends be famous explorers, skilled and published botanists, men of high degree: botanical garden curators, emminent taxonomists, huge nursery owners, society presidents, and cp forum owners. I'm nobody special.
    "Grow More, Share More"

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin, you may never be a great explorer, published botanist huge nursery owner, and so on. But you have made a very big impact on how people trade plants. There is not another hobby or group of people that I know of that freely gives away prized specimens. You changed the way I think about trading. I'm not a big trader because I don't have the time, or energy to propagate plants, but any extras I have are given away. There is only one reason for that and that reason is you.
    There has never been another member here, to my knowledge, that no matter how long they have left the forums, are still talked or asked about than you. Go back and look at the thread about which forum member would you most want to meet. I think you're name was mentioned way more than any other. Now that is special.
    You personally convinced people to give away expensive plants, now that's special.
    In China, there are 100,000 of him, hahaha!!!

You're not Chinese so I don't think that would apply here.

A lot of people care about you, so that makes you special, and I don't mean short yellow bus special.

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always give away my spares, and I sometimes trade them.....but I never sell them.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gardening is supposed to be fun and relaxing. When it becomes un-fun and stressful, it's time to cut back a bit.

My mantra, as a gardener who uses native plants almost exclusively, is to share them with other people. Answer questions about them. Dig the planting holes if you have to....you are creating good will! You are helping to educate people about your particular specialty, and sometimes all it takes is the gift of a seedling to spark an interest. AND, plants and seeds are no fun at all unless they're shared freely, IMO. Anyone want some lobelia cardinalis? How 'bout some virginia waterleaf? LOL!

It is a good thing, I think, to have a reputation as being an expert. The job of an expert, IMO, is to make new experts, new bearers of the torch, if you will. And from what I have read around these forums, you have done so, Tamlin. Kudoes to you! Now kick back and relax. April
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (0zzy @ April 16 2005,4:16)]You're not Chinese so I don't think that would apply here.
    Wait a second! Tamlin isn't a 25 year old Asian chick whose father owns a greenhouse? Uh oh! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Thanks for the D. enodes & stelliflora gemmae! They are blossoming as we speak.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I know...
    Last fall a package was sent to a school. The package was laden with Drosera seed. I am told the package had 20 packs of seed complete with detailed growing instructions. These handwritten growing instructions were copied and distributed to about 40 children from two classrooms who each split a pack of seed to cold stratify and grow. Out of the 40 children, at least 35 germinated their seed successfully. The other 5 probably ditzed out and forgot to keep their seed watered properly, their loss in my opinion. Of those 35 who were able to get their seed to germinate, at least 30 have seedlings that have not been attacked by fungus that are actually thriving. There are 30 children out there with 30 trays of seedlings each bearing a mini stake with the binomial of their seedlings AND the name of Tamlin Dawnstar at the bottom of the stake. The seed was sent as a gift and the giver of the seed (Tamlin) would not even accept compensation for postage.

Which reminds me... the seed was germinated in containers saved from a lab then sent to the teacher in the classroom by Jim Strauss... the poster directly above me. He wouldn't take any money for postage either.

Right now that classroom has so many plants it glows at night from the light you can see through the windows from several blocks away. There are plants blanketing every surface and rammed into every corner and they are starting to stack them on shelves in front of the windows. Every counter top has seed germinating under lights.

Lots of "legends" in these threads as every last plant that was sent to that teacher that those kids have in that classroom was sent by other members here who also refused postage. When I walk in there and look around I see plant stake after plant stake with familiar names on them. The whole room is laced with mini plant stakes with the names of members from Terra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rock on William.

Oh...
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]but be aware I have no current interest in either trades or donation
    Darn, just when I was looking to trade another one of my gold ore specimens.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL Jan! You got him where it hurts! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] Tempt him with that and he might give his whole collection.

William is now and never was about "fame" and "legends". He was and still is a wonderful and caring human being. He has spent years and years sharing both his knowledge and his plant material to the betterment of the CP community. No one will ever know the hours and hours spent not only in the growing, but seeking new plant material to propagate and share, answering emails, PMs and forum questions, seeking plant identifications, packing and labeling packages, and hauling his butt to the post office time and time again. I doubt there is anyone else anywhere who has logged the hours he has to help the people in this community without a thought to "making money."

William is one of only a handful of the "luminaries" (or whatever you want to call those who count themselves in the "scientific community") who was willing to get down to the level of AnyGrower Doe. It never mattered if you were someone who wrote books or published papers or if you were just starting out and killing D. capensis left and right. Anyone who gave him respect got it back in good measure regardless of skill level, race, creed or age. He loved a good plant discussion and shared equally with all. He worked hard to study the plants and their seeds for taxonomic identification. He worked hard to grow the rare plants to try to get them "out there" to everyone so it wasn't just the "elite" who had them and to make them no long "rare" and expensive. He gave everyone a fair shake. And so his mark was made not by the plants he shared but by the **SPIRIT** of dedication and caring of this very special person.

I wish there WERE 10,000 William Dawnstars in the CP world. If there were, there would be few plants that would not be available readily and of reasonable cost to those who want to grow them.

William Dawnstar...you are no legend. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] You are a very real human being who is gifted with plants, music and words. You are kind, generous and intelligent with a wicked sense of humor.

You have my love...as well as love and respect by the vast majority of the community for the PERSON you are...not just for the plants you gave away. This love was EARNED and is well deserved and has nothing to do with fame, papers and titles. You biggest gift was and is your HEART.

Enjoy your semi-retirement. Maybe some day the plants will call to you again and the spark will return.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast