What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sorry if i dident know

Did tamlin really leave terraforums?

Hi has not left.......but he will not be on here as much as he used to be.
He is under stress and pressure and this has caused him to start getting out of CP's, he is still however intrested in music and rocks and minerals.

That's too bad. What is causing his stress and pressure? Hopefully he'll be back soon. He always helped us all so much, and he's a good guy too! Hope to see you back soon Tamlin.

- Joel

Don't want to stir up anything, but you all know what happened with Superimposedhope a few days back right...
confused.gif
Perhaps it could be that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ April 16 2005,12:20)]Don't want to stir up anything, but you all know what happened with Superimposedhope a few days back right...
confused.gif
He's been away since before that. When he posts he posts most in the sundew thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jason Wong @ April 16 2005,12:20)]Don't want to stir up anything, but you all know what happened with Superimposedhope a few days back right...
confused.gif
No.....the stress and pressure is not coming from the forum at all.

Well he is just really busy and has a lot of worries and doesnt have a lot of time to devote to CP's and hence is getting out of them.
smile_h_32.gif

Hi guys,

No I am not gone. I stop by pretty much daily to see what's up. As far as getting out of CP, that hasn't happened yet in some 40 years and it isn't happening now. I am resizing my collection and am leavng tropical cultivation since I have other intersts I am exploring. I gave Robert Gibson my seed catalog of native seed for his studies and have abandoned all "serious" research and am just back to growing a few nice plants for my own pleasure. You can count on my being around for a looong time yet.

One thing I know about these forums is that folk come and go all the time, and usually they return to a happy welcome. I hope it will be so here for me, and for SIH too and the other long standing forum members who are now not frequenting the forums for one reason or another.

As to the stress, yes indeed: notoriety has its perks and quirks but when the quirks outweigh the perks and the boat is rocking a little too often, then stress results and stress, my lads, is the enemy in life. Be happy. If you're not happy, find out why and fix it right pronto! Sometimes this means making big changes. I gave a lot of myself to TF and CPUK but I no longer have the spirit to do battle with certain antagonists, or to publically defend a reputation I really don't want and never wanted, only to be branded as a "troublemaker" when I rise to my own defense. I had some clashes with the CPUK owner that ended my posting there relative to this sort of trouble, was told if I didn't like it I could "*** off now" by him, and largely have, both here and abroad! Can you blame me? That's what I get for my thousands of posts there. See? Too much STRESS! This is all supposed to be fun, right?

I hope I did some good for the hobby, taught some skills and ethics and got some good plants into circulation. I'd like to say that they can't say I never tried, but the truth is, they CAN and do and too many people listen to the propaganda.

Dealing with the pompous and conceited fraction of CP society certainly has not brought me much happieness. I have found the most reprehensible behavior has stemmed from such CP luminaries who's "position" in the CP world has conferred a sort of royal status. These folk can say and do what they please and, sadly, they frequent (and oftespoil) the forums I like to post to and very much say what they please. One wearies of arm wrestling. The only way to avoid them is to avoid the forums in general and remain a largely private individual. And so it is, and it is good for me. It's not the little guys that ever gave me problems and now it isn't those other pathetic wastes of skin either so accustomed to the adoration of the masses.

As to the behavior on this forum of cerain individuals and some recent ugly events here (Hi Bonnie), all I can say is no one forces anyone to come here. If you're at the point where you have to say something mean, abusive, or ugly for ANY reason at all, you really need to be somewhere else. This isn't that type of forum, and THAT includes me in the roster as well. I have too much animosity to be civil in public with certain other people, so I need to be apart.

Thanks for the interest in my person, it's nice to know people are thinking of you. Friends can reach me anytime at tamlindd@yahoo.com or by PM, but be aware I have no current interest in either trades or donation (although the latter will happen in time once I get organized)

Take care friends and see you soon!

Kirk, the funny thing about legends......you take someone that is one-in-a-million. You think that person is special? In China, there are 100,000 of him, hahaha!!! So much for special!

Nah, I don't want to be a legend. What made me special, the fact I was willing to give away free plants and seeds? Sheesh! What a wonderful world it would be if that was nothing special at all, vs being some sort of flippin' legenday event.

Best to let the legends be famous explorers, skilled and published botanists, men of high degree: botanical garden curators, emminent taxonomists, huge nursery owners, society presidents, and cp forum owners. I'm nobody special.

Tamlin, you may never be a great explorer, published botanist huge nursery owner, and so on. But you have made a very big impact on how people trade plants. There is not another hobby or group of people that I know of that freely gives away prized specimens. You changed the way I think about trading. I'm not a big trader because I don't have the time, or energy to propagate plants, but any extras I have are given away. There is only one reason for that and that reason is you.
There has never been another member here, to my knowledge, that no matter how long they have left the forums, are still talked or asked about than you. Go back and look at the thread about which forum member would you most want to meet. I think you're name was mentioned way more than any other. Now that is special.
You personally convinced people to give away expensive plants, now that's special.
In China, there are 100,000 of him, hahaha!!!

You're not Chinese so I don't think that would apply here.

A lot of people care about you, so that makes you special, and I don't mean short yellow bus special.

I always give away my spares, and I sometimes trade them.....but I never sell them.

Gardening is supposed to be fun and relaxing.  When it becomes un-fun and stressful, it's time to cut back a bit.  

My mantra, as a gardener who uses native plants almost exclusively, is to share them with other people.  Answer questions about them.  Dig the planting holes if you have to....you are creating good will! You are helping to educate people about your particular specialty, and sometimes all it takes is the gift of a seedling to spark an interest.  AND, plants and seeds are no fun at all unless they're shared freely, IMO.  Anyone want some lobelia cardinalis?  How 'bout some virginia waterleaf?  LOL!  

It is a good thing, I think, to have a reputation as being an expert.  The job of an expert, IMO, is to make new experts, new bearers of the torch, if you will.  And from what I have read around these forums, you have done so, Tamlin.  Kudoes to you!  Now kick back and relax.  April

[b said:
Quote[/b] (0zzy @ April 16 2005,4:16)]You're not Chinese so I don't think that would apply here.
Wait a second! Tamlin isn't a 25 year old Asian chick whose father owns a greenhouse? Uh oh!
confused.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Thanks for the D. enodes & stelliflora gemmae! They are blossoming as we speak.

Here's what I know...
Last fall a package was sent to a school.  The package was laden with Drosera seed. I am told the package had 20 packs of seed complete with detailed growing instructions. These handwritten growing instructions were copied and distributed to about 40 children from two classrooms who each split a pack of seed to cold stratify and grow. Out of the 40 children, at least 35 germinated their seed successfully.  The other 5 probably ditzed out and forgot to keep their seed watered properly, their loss in my opinion. Of those 35 who were able to get their seed to germinate, at least 30 have seedlings that have not been attacked by fungus that are actually thriving. There are 30 children out there with 30 trays of seedlings each bearing a mini stake with the binomial of their seedlings AND the name of Tamlin Dawnstar at the bottom of the stake. The seed was sent as a gift and the giver of the seed (Tamlin) would not even accept compensation for postage.

Which reminds me... the seed was germinated in containers saved from a lab then sent to the teacher in the classroom by Jim Strauss... the poster directly above me. He wouldn't take any money for postage either.

Right now that classroom has so many plants it glows at night from the light you can see through the windows from several blocks away. There are plants blanketing every surface and rammed into every corner and they are starting to stack them on shelves in front of the windows.  Every counter top has seed germinating under lights.  

Lots of "legends" in these threads as every last plant that was sent to that teacher that those kids have in that classroom was sent by other members here who also refused postage. When I walk in there and look around I see plant stake after plant stake with familiar names on them. The whole room is laced with mini plant stakes with the names of members from Terra.

Rock on William.

Oh...
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]but be aware I have no current interest in either trades or donation
Darn, just when I was looking to trade another one of my gold ore specimens.

LOL Jan!  You got him where it hurts!  
laugh.gif
 Tempt him with that and he might give his whole collection.

William is now and never was about "fame" and "legends".  He was and still is a wonderful and caring human being.  He has spent years and years sharing both his knowledge and his plant material to the betterment of the CP community.  No one will ever know the hours and hours spent not only in the growing, but seeking new plant material to propagate and share, answering emails, PMs and forum questions, seeking plant identifications, packing and labeling packages, and hauling his butt to the post office time and time again.  I doubt there is anyone else anywhere who has logged the hours he has to help the people in this community without a thought to "making money."

William is one of only a handful of the "luminaries" (or whatever you want to call those who count themselves in the "scientific community") who was willing to get down to the level of AnyGrower Doe.  It never mattered if you were someone who wrote books or published papers or if you were just starting out and killing D. capensis left and right.  Anyone who gave him respect got it back in good measure regardless of skill level, race, creed or age.  He loved a good plant discussion and shared equally with all.  He worked hard to study the plants and their seeds for taxonomic identification.  He worked hard to grow the rare plants to try to get them "out there" to everyone so it wasn't just the "elite" who had them and to make them no long "rare" and expensive.  He gave everyone a fair shake.  And so his mark was made not by the plants he shared but by the **SPIRIT** of dedication and caring of this very special person.

I wish there WERE 10,000 William Dawnstars in the CP world.  If there were, there would be few plants that would not be available readily and of reasonable cost to those who want to grow them.

William Dawnstar...you are no legend.  
smile.gif
 You are a very real human being who is gifted with plants, music and words.  You are kind, generous and intelligent with a wicked sense of humor.

You have my love...as well as love and respect by the vast majority of the community for the PERSON you are...not just for the plants you gave away.  This love was EARNED and is well deserved and has nothing to do with fame, papers and titles. You biggest gift was and is your HEART.

Enjoy your semi-retirement.  Maybe some day the plants will call to you again and the spark will return.

errrrr, ahhhhh, ehhhhh.....well, <blush> GORSH! I dunno what to say.

One thing is you can stop talking of me in the past tense, see voo play. I am still here and I plan on being here for another century or so, but yeah, it is semi retirement I guess, at least for a couple of seasons.

Y'all better take care of those plants I sent out 'cause someday I'll be knockin' at your door, hat in hand again! I am just taking a break after all.

As for the past donations, it was my pleasure - and as for future donations it will remain my pleasure! I get great satisfaction from seeing forum members share and spread the plants. I've watched green newbies become skilled growers within their chosen genus and take up the teaching in turn. Hearing the children are enjoying the experience sure makes me smile! This is the BEST for me. Those ripples will continue to spread I hope. I hope it very much because I still love these plants more than anything (although not anyone) on Earth. I may not choose to cultivate them, but they will forever hold my heart - just as do you all.

Lauderdale, you sure know how to get to a girl!!! Let's talk
smile.gif
Heck, bro' you have a life long blank check for CP from me, long as I got em! Who you kidding!

Tamlin, good to see you around!
smile.gif

No one will ever tell you to **** off here, or I will give them the boot. Infact, if there is still anyone on this forum who gives you grief, just let me know. Wink Wink.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wait a second! Tamlin isn't a 25 year old Asian chick whose father owns a greenhouse? Uh oh!

LOL!! Leave it to jimscotscoot to keep an impossibly old story from ever going stale.

Everybody, let's squish together and form a circle around Tony and sing!

man Ozzy, PAK and Laura nailed Tamlin better than i could.

Tamlin thanks for the Utric addiction.....i think, not sure if Darla thinks its a good thing but everytime U. lateriflora or sandersonii "blue" or any other lavander or purple Utric blooms her eyes do light up. glad you r still coming around and just say the word and ill send a chunk of U. pauliniae back home to yah. BTW its only 7 weeks till i head over to the mountains, hopefully i can find yah another nice sapphire

Back