Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Law to prohibit keeping "dangerous animal"

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that the bill is a little long, so I'll condense it for the ones that don't want to read the whole thing.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT providing for the Protection of the public against the health and safety risks that Inherently Dangerous Animals pose and to protect the welfare of inherently dangerous animals.

(a) It is the intent of the General Assembly to protect the public against health and safety risks that inherently dangerous animals pose to the community and to protect the welfare of the individual animals held in private possession and at roadside zoos. The General Assembly finds that by their very nature these animals are wild and inherently dangerous and do not adjust well in captivity without sufficient provisions for animal welfare and professional animal care expertise.

(b) The General Assembly finds that inherently dangerous animals are extremely unpredictable and dangerous creatures; the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of United States Department of Agriculture (USDA/APHIS), the American Zoo and Aquarium Association (AZA), the American Veterinary Medical Association, and numerous animal welfare and public safety organizations believe that only properly trained professionals and certified institutions should keep these animals.

The General Assembly finds that care and handling of these inherently dangerous animals should be left to those qualified individuals who have the knowledge and means to maintain them properly; the average owner of an inherently dangerous animal lacks the specialized equipment and expertise necessary to provide properly for the containment, medical care, husbandry, and nutrition of a wild animal, and it is virtually impossible for an inherently dangerous animal to adapt to traditional household settings or inadequate living spaces and conditions.

1.) Class Mammalia

a. Order Carnivora

1. Family Felidae (lions, tigers, leopards, ocelots, servals, etc.) all species except domestic cats.

2. Family Canidae (wolves, foxes, jackals, etc.) all species except domestic dogs and indigenous foxes.

3. Family Ursidae (bears) all species except black bears.

4. Family Viverridae (only binturongs).

5. Family Procyonidae (only kinkajous and coatis).

6. Family Hyaenidae (hyenas, etc.) all species.

b. Order Marsupialia only kangaroos.

c. Order Perissodactyla only rhinoceroses.

d. Order Primates (lemurs, monkeys, chimpanzees, gorillas) all species.

e. Order Proboscidae (elephants, etc.) all species.

f. Order Rodentia only prairie dogs and Gambian rats.

(2) Class Reptilia

a. Order Squamata

1. Family Varanidae only water monitors and crocodile monitors.

2. Family Boidae all species whose adult length has the potential to exceed eight feet in length.

3. Family Colubridae only boomslangs and African twig snakes.

4. Family Elapidae (cobras, mambas, etc.) all species.

5. Family Nactricidae only keelback snakes.

6. Family Viperidae (vipers) only nonindigenous species.

7. Family Helodermatidae (beaded lizards, Gila monsters, etc.) all species.

8. Family Hydrophiidae (sea snakes, etc.) all species.

9. Family Atractaspidae (mole vipers, etc.) all species.

b. Order Crocodilia (crocodiles, alligators, caimans, gavials, etc.) all species.

Every inherently dangerous animal shall be implanted with a microchip, at the expense of the possessor, by or under the supervision of a veterinarian. This provision does not apply if a veterinarian determines that the implant of a microchip would endanger the well‑being of the animal.

Every inherently dangerous animal must be spayed or neutered, at the expense of the possessor, by or under the supervision of a veterinarian. This provision does not apply if a veterinarian determines that the spay or neuter procedure would endanger the well‑being of the animal.

(a) The possessor of an inherently dangerous animal shall maintain liability insurance coverage in an amount of not less than one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) for each occurrence for liability damages for destruction of or damage to property, and for death or bodily injury to a person caused by the inherently dangerous animal. The possessor of an inherently dangerous animal shall provide a copy of the policy for liability insurance to the Department on an annual basis.

(b) The possessor of an inherently dangerous animal shall have continuously posted and displayed, at each possible entrance onto the premises where an inherently dangerous animal is kept, a conspicuous sign, clearly legible, and easily readable by the public, warning that there is an inherently dangerous animal on the premises. The Department may prescribe the exact content and size of the sign.

(a) Any possessor who fails to obtain a personal possession permit under G.S. 19A‑74 for an inherently dangerous animal or renew a personal possession permit for each inherently dangerous animal shall be liable for a civil penalty of not less than two hundred dollars ($200.00) and not more than two thousand dollars ($2,000) for each animal with respect to which there is a violation and for each day the violation continues. A civil penalty collected pursuant to this subsection may be retained by the Department.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am amazed that the most dangerous animal of all is not included on the list.....Polititians.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any interest in keep or breeding that animal. That's one animal that I hope is extict very soon.

If you think this law is crazy you should have seen the one that West Virginia tried to pass. They had almost the same law but instead of "dangerous" animals, their law targeted all exotic animals. And Exotic was defined as any animal that was not indigenous to WV.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Montana is in the process of passing one. but its directed more towrds venomous snakes(only front fanged and boomslangs) and potential agricultural pests. i need a permit to bring a chinchilla into the state. kinda sucks. dont know who would turn a $60 plus critter loose when they can easily find a home for it. but anyone can buy one from a breeder in state. however on the snake issue. i think there should be a licencing system where you have to show you can keep lethally venomous snakes in fairly safe conditions(ie, only a potential hazard to the keeper not to the general public) which is actually fairly straight forward. seperate room, lockable windows, screen on any heating/AC vents, special considerations for doors ect. it could be done with an afternoons work. unfortunatly the "governing officials" dont see it my way. THANK GOD they didnt go into the Boid thing. how would you enforce it? Boa constrictor imperator can get anywayer from 4-9 feet depending on what locale. ones from the Sonoran desert max out at 4 or 5 feet. ones from Panama/Columbia can get pretty big and these are all the same subspecies.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humans do more damage then any other animal on the planet. Here we are talking about dangerous animals. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know here in Virginia, they are trying to pass a "dangerous animal" law. Just recently in the space of about a week, an older lady was attacked and killed by a pitbull and in another case the family dog attacked and killed the family's little boy. (Although in the latter case, it turns out the family kept the dog chained all the time. No wonder the animal went berzerk...)

So now they are trying to figure out some kind of registry sort of like the sex offender registry. I really don't know if something like that can be any good. Knowing WHERE a dangerous animal (or person) is located in no way means either will not offend. So you know someone down the street has a pitbull known to bite. What do I do? Stay in my house all the time just in case the dog might be loose?

The better thing would be to make sure that anyone who keep an exotic pet (which I don't agree with) or has a dog who's breeding was for the purpose of aggression, to learn how to handle their pets! Dog's with aggressive ancestry and wild animals can be trained and tamed...but you NEVER can erase what their genetics tells them to do. Too many people think their pit bulls are "sweet and friendly" and therefore don't take their training seriously. There is a BIG difference between temperament and breeding. You can have a seriously dangerous dog who has a nice temperament.

My little demon Ollie is sweet tempered and friendly but I always have to bear in mind his breed was built to chase and catch small furry things and shake them to death.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All I know is that dogs should be chained up. I love running and hate having to flee dogs in the process. My neighbor had a rottweiler and sometimes would run around free. Then after I have lived in my home for a two years dealing with the dog, I saw cops over at the house. Since that day *well they moved since then* I never saw the dog.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]anyone who keep an exotic pet (which I don't agree with)

PAK, out of curiousity, what do you consider an exotic pet? i know my definition is different than most as ive been keeping "exotic" snakes for years. im now starting to get into dart frogs which for most fall under the "exotic" heading. i keep chinchillas and degus which are from Chile. my definition of "exotic" i guess leans twords the so called "super exotics" which would be the large hoof stock(zebras, antelope ect) and large cats and stuff. i guess personally as long as a person can properly care for the animal and is able to keep the "general public" safe i say why not let them keep the animal?
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast