Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Law to prohibit keeping "dangerous animal"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW some of the absolute sweetest dogs ive known inclde 3 or 4 rottwielers, a couple of dobermans and one wonderful pitbull that my brother had. how a dog is raised and cared for has a big influence on how it turns out.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does not bother me if you have snakes, dart frogs, or any other animals as long as they are contained, and I do not find them in my yard or house.
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I consider "exotic" things like elephants, lions, tigers, zebras...things like that. Animals that your average person can't really care for properly. There are some people who have large "preserves" and the money it takes to provide for those types of animals but they are best left out in the wild in their native environment.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]BTW some of the absolute sweetest dogs ive known inclde 3 or 4 rottwielers, a couple of dobermans and one wonderful pitbull that my brother had. how a dog is raised and cared for has a big influence on how it turns out.
    I absolutely agree. But that is my point exactly. Some people rely TOTALLY on how they raised the dog and think because the dog's *temperament* is "sweet", its harmless and that is not ALWAYS true. Again...you're talking temperament vs. breeding. You STILL have to bear in mind what a dog was bred for...as their genetic make-up will always be a factor in the dog's behavior.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not picking on pitbulls, rotties, dobies or other dogs bred for protection or fighting. I know they can be good family pets. But you GOTTA be aware of what they were bred for. You can't compare a pitbull to a short-haired pointer or a retriever as a pet. Pointers were never bred to attack anything. So the likelihood of a dog attack by a pointer is lot less than with a pitbull.

My dog Ollie has a sweet temperament but I'll always have to be watchful of him around small furry animals like cats or very small dogs. Every fiber of his being tells him to chase and kill. That's what fox terriers were bred for. That doesn't mean Ollie is a mean dog. He would be doing what his genes tell him to do. Also if any dog shows aggression towards him, he WILL fight back as terriers were bred to face and fight fierce "vermin" like badgers and foxes and ***not to back down***! So while I certainly don't have to worry every second that Ollie is going to attack something furry...lol... I am simply careful when he is around other animals to keep an eye on him.

"Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you non-herpetophiles want to get a chill, go to kingsnake.com and look at the venomous listings in the classifieds.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why someone would want to take a wild animal and keep it in a small cage, anyway. Seems kind of cruel. Hellooooo...your gambian rats belong in GAMBIA. Boomslangs and brown tree snakes and boas and pythons don't belong in this country, either. How about the snake-head fish? Nor do iguanas, caimans, or whatever. Exotic animals, when released...do incredible ecological damage to native species. And they WILL escape, or just be set free by owners who have grown bored of them. Just have a look at Hawaii, and the horrible toll non-native species have done there. Cats, pigs, dogs, goats, mosquitoes, you name it.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have yet to read the whole list, but I entirely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ](1.) Class Mammalia
    All of these must be eliminated from society ASAP. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]

--Jonathan
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    April, i get what your saying but ill give you some example on why ppl should be allowed to keep exotic reptiles:

Dart frogs are being saved and whole tracks of their natural habitat are being saved because of the intence interest in keeping these frogs. there are areas South America where farmers are being paid to put out man made breeding sies for these frogs. a small percentage of eggs laid are raised and sold to dart frog nuts all over the world a decent portion of this money goes back to the farmers. given that dart frogs range in price from $18 to $200 depending on color morph and species it adds up to a significant amount of money for a poor farmer who now has a reason to keep tracts of the rainforest as is. he can make more money off of "farming frogs" that by clearing the forrest for farming.

the Dumerils(sp?) boa from madigascar is extreamly endangered but thanks to alot of interest in this snake(it makes a decent "pet" and is quite pretty) there is a huge breeding population in the USA alone.

these arent the only ones but they are what comes to my mind.

on furry critters. im pretty sure chinchillas have just about been wiped out in the wild but there is a huge breeding populaion in the world to cause they are good pets.

whats the difference between some one keeping a pet cornsnake and an pet dog? corn snakes have been bred in captivity for prolly 20 or more generations in some lines. thats getting pretty close to falling under the term domesticated.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tropical plants and animals are a much greater ecological threat in Key West, Florida than in Fort Kent, Maine. But a king cobra in the neighboring apartment is pretty scary in both places.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast