What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ideas what this is?

• Thread starter LauraZ5
  • Start date
Not my little plants but I would be curious if anyone has any ideas as to what this is?

8b3869de.jpg

IS it carnivorous? If not I will say "spider plant" not sure what the real name is though (scientific). That is the un-varigated version.

A weed?

it does odly look like a spiderplant.

thanks

Brad

hard to tell for sure, but i think i have the same thing growing in some of my pots, likely a hitchhiker from plants i've bought over the years. not sure what it is yet, since i have yet to see one bloom.

hmmm looks like a Dianthus to me. Let it grow to see if it flowers.

A dianthus would not be happy in that medium, I think. They like a slightly alkaline soil, PH around 6-6.5. It almost looks like a baby rosemary plant.

I have had the same plant pop up in my CPs. I usually pull them out before they get the size of yours. I always figured they hitch hiked in the peat or sphagnum moss.

Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]They like a slightly alkaline soil, PH around 6-6.5. It almost looks like a baby rosemary plant.

No and Yes. Actually, pH 6-6.5 is slightly acidic. Don't worry, this one will bite anyone in the rear if they don't watch it, I know I've done it before.
smile_m_32.gif
Yes: it does look like a baby rosemary plant. Though, I'll need to look a picture of spider plants.

--Jonathan

Ahh, darnit, I was gonna say some sort of terrestrial hornwort or a deformed asparagus fern (sorry for al the common names)
At least I was close
biggrin.gif

WEED!!!!
very invasive and unwelcome weed.
I have been fighting it in my bonsai pots for years.
it puts out deep roots and will only compete for water and nutrients.
I has no benefits and many drawbacks.
get rid of it!!

Scot

Yup, Seandew hit it on the head based on what I can see from the WI vascular plant data. By gosh by golly that certainly is an exotic introduced noxious weed.

Is everyone sitting down...

I thought it was something special and sent it out to not one school but two school so that their classrooms could have some fun "guessing" what it was. Ron Lane sent them clumps and I liked the idea so much that I put them all in little pots so that many children could take them home and care for them until they matured so that they could "guess" what they had. I even set a little "aside" to auction off for the NASC. One problem, Ron Lane's clumps had all kids of goodies in them from Utricularia to Drosera. My clumps are going to contaminate all of their pots if I don't let them know real quick to toss out the cute little pots. Gosh, I figured those clumps had to be some sort of a rare Utric with bladders under ground otherwise why else would there be so many of them.

Oh how I could puke right about now. Isn't that juuust ssspechul!

Back