Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I am upset.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had allowed my 3 strongest venus flytraps to grow their flowers. They were within days of blooming. I was hoping to get seed from them.

We came home from church today, and I went outside to look at them, and all three inflorescences had been ripped off!

I found them in a little bouquet of weed flowers my daughters had collected from the yard, almost certainly the doing of the 3 year old; the 5 year old doesn't pick flowers as much.

I confronted the two of them and they both blamed the other, but there was hesitation in the 3 year old's voice, and the desperation in the 5 year old's voice told me she was telling the truth.

So I spanked the 3 year old. I had shown her the flowers, I had told her she wasn't to touch them, she acknowledged she understood she would be punished if she touched them. She did this to test the limits.

Now my wife is treating me like i just slaughtered bunnies.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You HIT your 3 year old for picking flowers?! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    Sorry man, that is wrong in my opinion, what would have been MUCH better is to educate her and tell her nicely that these are your very special plants and that she is not to touch them or pick their flowers.
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Starman @ April 17 2005,3:10)]You HIT your 3 year old for picking flowers?! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    Sorry man, that is wrong in my opinion, what would have been MUCH better is to educate her and tell her nicely that these are your very special plants and that she is not to touch them or pick their flowers.
    If I had flown off the handle and slapped her, I'd agree with you.

I put her on my knee and swatted her butt. Barely harder, I might add, when i give her a playful swat on the fanny.

But the intent behind it changes everything.

And this is a child not fazed by times-out or lost toys.

I think parents these days are WAY too permissive with their children. Whether your preferred punishment is spanking, taking away toys, or lost privileges, I think parents of my generation are too loathe to employ them, and we're going to end up with a generation of narcissistic, self-absorbed, self-centered, indulgent brats.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I see why your wife is mad at you. I sort-of agree with her and Starman.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to get into a debate about the ethics of child punishment but imo there is a big difference between abuse and discipline. Abuse = punching and kicking your kids throwing them agaisnt walls etc. Discipline = smacking their fannies to show that there will be consequences when they do stupid things. My parents disciplined me a bit when I was little (my dad even made a special wooden paddle) and as such I didn't do that many stupid things growing up and I never called abuse. Hell the spankings didn't even hurt it was just that my parents were angry at me that hurt me the most.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to agree with Scott. I think parents are not tough enough with their kids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I agree on the don't hit thing. Loss of privilges is good. Taking away toys has a way of making them worse. Well in my opinon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember that I was always talked to and made to see what I did was wrong. Oh yeah that visit to see what jailwas like in First Grade helped. It was a field trip.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast