What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bird problems

JBL

I know the subject of pests comes up often. Birds (robins) seem more present at my place than ever. They pick sphagnum off pots for nests, poop on plants and in water, and even uprooted my Sarracenia rubra gulfensis from Crestview. I found the plant floating in water, and planted it immediately--the roots looked good, and it's sporting a side shoot from the main growth!

Now, the question. Will the bird poop be harmful to the plants? There's a lot of poop! Everywhere! Last year they tore up plants eating insects from them. Time for a scarecrow, I guess...
JB

Joe,
I had the same problem last year with them digging around in my soil. I lost 4 or 5 plants that way. So far this year I have not had any problems.
In nature I'm sure the plants get there fair share of poop on them.
Hope they do not pull up any more of your plants.

Hi Steve,
Thanks for taking the time to answer. In nature, bogs are also much larger than my limited space. They come to bath because my tubs of plants seem to be the only open water source in my neighboorhood. If I could just get the neighbors to start growing them.:;):
Joe

maybe if you put up birdbaths far away from your CPs?

Joe,
Try some Miracle grow on your plants so they get large enough to caught the birds!
smile_n_32.gif

Hey AW, thanks for thinking out of the box--nice idea. Bird baths--I must have been bird brained not to think of it!

Steve,
I'll send all plants treated with Miracle grow to your place. You can keep whatever you save.
smile_n_32.gif

maybe bird food too? :p some stuff for their nests? if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. why fight when you can be friends? lol.
some chickadees are making a nest in a box we put out
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 18 2005,9:36)]maybe bird food too? :p some stuff for their nests? if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. why fight when you can be friends? lol.
some chickadees are making a nest in a box we put out
smile.gif
While I'm at it, maybe I could wear a pretty gown, get em to line up on my arms and sing Disney tunes to em...

LMAO
laugh.gif
*Niki*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ April 18 2005,9:58)]LMAO
laugh.gif
 *Niki*
I'm glad someone's laughing, Niki, because I was worried when I started a thread with 'poop' in it!
smile_r_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 18 2005,10:03)]LOL that's too funny to imagine!
Hey, I'm pretty!!! Or, I feel that way, anyhow.

Aww was that kiss for me JBL?(Blushes):;): *Niki*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ April 18 2005,10:08)]Aww was that kiss for me JBL?(Blushes):;):  *Niki*
Weelll, I uh, gosh, duh and honestly did not realize that was a kiss. I just liked it because it had lipstick.
smile_m_32.gif

LOL
who the heck made these smileys anyway? someone obssesed with hats
smile_n_32.gif

CD's, compact disks.
take 2 old unwanted CDs (the millions of free unwanted AOL disks you get in the mail are good)
put them back-to-back so the shiny silver side is facing out on both sides, drill a hole near the top, and hang with string.
I have about 5 of the spinning disks around my plants.
totally keeps birds away!
the disks constantly spin and move in the breeze, shining light around and looking like big scary monster eyes, the birds cant deal.

when I first set up my CPs on my balcony 2 years ago I had bird problems, birds tipping over pots and digging in the moss.
once I set up the CDs, not one bird has come near my plants..

CP-2005-06.jpg

CP-2005-07.jpg

Scot

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 18 2005,10:16)]LOL
who the heck made these smileys anyway? someone obssesed with hats  
smile_n_32.gif
The hats, hmmm, balding smiley inventor? Never seen one with hair...

Scottychaos--I think you're onto something with the CDs. Pure genius. Maybe I could put in several bird baths, a few statues and mirrored balls and hold birdie discos!!!

Maybe they are just afraid of being overcharged by AOL...

Might as well add some soap to the bird baths then and give them a foam disco party.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gawd_oOo @ April 18 2005,10:24)]Maybe they are just afraid of being overcharged by AOL...
LMAO, man. Good one!!

Back