Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bird problems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the subject of pests comes up often. Birds (robins) seem more present at my place than ever. They pick sphagnum off pots for nests, poop on plants and in water, and even uprooted my Sarracenia rubra gulfensis from Crestview. I found the plant floating in water, and planted it immediately--the roots looked good, and it's sporting a side shoot from the main growth!

Now, the question. Will the bird poop be harmful to the plants? There's a lot of poop! Everywhere! Last year they tore up plants eating insects from them. Time for a scarecrow, I guess...
    JB
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,
    I had the same problem last year with them digging around in my soil. I lost 4 or 5 plants that way. So far this year I have not had any problems.
    In nature I'm sure the plants get there fair share of poop on them.
    Hope they do not pull up any more of your plants.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for taking the time to answer. In nature, bogs are also much larger than my limited space. They come to bath because my tubs of plants seem to be the only open water source in my neighboorhood. If I could just get the neighbors to start growing them.::
    Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe if you put up birdbaths far away from your CPs?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,
    Try some Miracle grow on your plants so they get large enough to caught the birds! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey AW, thanks for thinking out of the box--nice idea. Bird baths--I must have been bird brained not to think of it!

Steve,
    I'll send all plants treated with Miracle grow to your place. You can keep whatever you save. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe bird food too? :P some stuff for their nests? if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. why fight when you can be friends? lol.
    some chickadees are making a nest in a box we put out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 18 2005,9:36)]maybe bird food too? :P some stuff for their nests? if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. why fight when you can be friends? lol.
    some chickadees are making a nest in a box we put out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    While I'm at it, maybe I could wear a pretty gown, get em to line up on my arms and sing Disney tunes to em...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast