What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Killed my first cp today....

it was a Darlingtonia I bought at a Lowe's in Florida.

I gave it rain-water ice-cubes and packed it in lfs. Oh well.

It was doomed anyway, I guess.

So...is the killing spree over for me yet, LOL! April

Murderer!! LOL. Why do you think I stick to Sarrs? Darlingtonia don't like me, and I'm not too fond of them.

I have some I started from seed about two years ago.I will see how they fair in south GA. weather after I get a water system setup.Maybe they won't die,maybe
smile_h_32.gif

Jerry
biggrin.gif

I kill them in the summer if I try to grow them outside.
Inside on a windowsill, they grow great.

Elgecko,

That is good to know, because I'm not averse to rescuing them from big box stores, where they will die, anyway. April

Well, I happened into a bunch of sarrs and sun-dews this weekend. Had to repot some of them because they were totally pot-bound. Oy vey! So far, they all look happy. I think. I'm watering them with ground-water from my sump pump...is this okay? April

There there, over the past while I've lost a number of plants myself.
smile_h_32.gif
My condolensces, and I wish you better luck in the future.

--Jonathan

Don't feel too bad. I'll give you mine. It's holding its own and actually seems to be perking up since I transplanted it. I have mine in an eastern window. I stick a few rain water ice cubes in the water tray every morning that I think to do so.

The only way I've seen them survive in Florida is if you force them into dormancy in the summer (refrigerator vacation) and bring them out for the winter. I don't grow them personally (I too have killed them
smile_h_32.gif
) but I do know of a commercial grower that uses this method.

Congratulations! You are following the footsteps of many a forum member. Persevere, girl! I've alreay killed two and am on ny third. I also can't germinate seeds given to me a 13 year old newbie had no problems with. Just don't tell Laura. She thinks I know what I am doing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 18 2005,11:06)]She thinks I know what I am doing.
Scott,
We all know better!

smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ April 18 2005,9:47)]I'm watering them with ground-water from my sump pump...is this okay?  April
The only thing of concern would be ,that unless you're sending the water from you're sump pump into some sort of filter, you may have a high TDS count. JimScott run A T-CLIP, and BTES, on her soil STAT
smile_n_32.gif
and a TDS on her water!

Don't worry most of us here have never met a plant we couldn't kill. >;-D

Funny thing, I have yet to get my hands on one of them, so I am still waiting for my chance to watch one die while the replies to my "Darlingtonia not looking so good" thread pile up
biggrin.gif

(Don't tell Trapper7 or Sszvein, they think I know what I'm doing,too, despite my statements to the contrary)

Seriously, though, really, don't sweat it- last year I bought and somehow killed a Tiger Jaws (dunno the proper name) cactus and I have hordes of cactii that I have never had to even think about caring for and they are all in great shape

Darlingtonia is a finiky bugger i did everything right and killed one. it wasnt till i gave up and did everything wrong that it decided to do well for me.keep trying and if you get a chance to try one from a private grower instead of one from Lowes or HD or one of them do it. i think that was a big help for me. i got my hands on some really hardy stock.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ April 19 2005,11:44)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ April 18 2005,11:06)]She thinks I know what I am doing.
Scott,
We all know better!

smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif
Thanks, Steve! I knew I could count on you!

Justin: I just need to assign a lab sample ID number and get 100 grams of it in the extractor!

Zak, Darling,

What's a TDS? What are all those other initials you gave?  LOL!  since I'm an organic type of gardener, and we don't use pesticides or chemical fertilisers or fungicides on our property(and neither do our neighbors) I figger the ground water is ok? There's probably some leachate from more distant properties, sure...but not much.  The sump pump runs about every 3 minutes or so...so I would think if there were major toxins they would have been rinsed out eons ago.  

In fact, there's an EPA superfund site a mile from here.  The people in THAT subdivision have to use bottled water for everything. Our groundwater flows towards that subdivision.  

My subdivision is known as the "slums of Wauconda", so named by the former mayor(who's idea of a "starter" home is $350K+)..I don't know, to me it looks like a normal 60's ranch house community...and nobody has the money to spend on silly things like lawn service or Scott's 4 in 1, LOl!  The neighbors to the north of me have a child who is autistic...they for sure keep their lawn natural, as they think autism may be caused or aggravated by chemicals in the environment. Neighbor to the south doesn't put that much time into his lawn. Neighbors across the street have putting greens for lawns.

I don't have time for finicky plants...it's why I grow native.  Thrive or die. Darlingtonia are really pretty...but they're not native in this area, so I don't feel a huge sense of loss!  April

Sorry Scott,
You left yourself wide open.
smile_m_32.gif

Total Dissolved Solids

Thanks, ElGecko! JimScott, your poor kitty must have one hell of a head-ache/catnip hangover by now......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ April 19 2005,9:04)]Thanks, ElGecko! JimScott, your poor kitty must have one hell of a head-ache/catnip hangover by now......
You're right. I bet he could use a nice nap! Hehehehehe

I think the concern with the TDS is more along the lines of salt and other minerals. You're in Florida, there will be salt, lots of it depending on where in Florida you are.

Back