Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aerosol orthenex

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lauderdale, did you use the aeresol spray or the concentrate?
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought the spray can because it was the only thing Target carries. The active ingredients are:
    acephate-0.25%
    resmethrin-0.10%
    triforine-0.10%
    other ingredients-99.5% (Water?)
    Would someone who is using the non spray stuff check to see if the ingredients are the same.

So far one burmanni has perished and a couple of other dews are looking bad.
    Lets keep this thread updated to see if this is a viable product for CP's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I called Ortho and the person I spoke with couldn't find what the other 99.55% of ingredients where....
    I think you were right BigCarnivourKid, it seems like with this product they want it to stick to plants so therefor they use an oil based mixer.
    My dews are producing dew again and the only growth that was damaged on my Sarras was new growth (which I removed) and any new growth emerging seems to be fine. I think they may just survive.
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ April 21 2005,7:40)]I bought the spray can because it was the only thing Target carries. The active ingredients are:
    acephate-0.25%
    resmethrin-0.10%
    triforine-0.10%
    other ingredients-99.5% (Water?)
    Would someone who is using the non spray stuff check to see if the ingredients are the same.
    Acephate................. 4.00%
    Triforine................... 3.25%
    Fenbutatin-oxide*...... 0.75%
    Other ingrediants........92.00%

*Hexakis

Keep in mind this is ment to be diluted and that's why the concentrations are higher.

They are similar but definitely not the same. I sprayed all my plants with this and the two types of sundews were the only CPs to show any bad reaction to the spray. By all I mean all. My Pinguicula, Drosera, N. ventricosa & N. "Judith Finn", Utricularia, and VFTs.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been about four threads started on this subject (aphids and other pests) in the last couple of months so it is definitely a problem we need to look at.
    I am trying to boil down the information and come up with some kind of solution for the aphids. Orothene was recommended by a very knowledgable Drosera grower as a no "problem solution" for aphids and I trust his judgement.

However, kahnli and I used Orthenex, which I believe is the spray version of Orothene and it is definitely not for use on Drosera and I assume Pings. There is something in the spray version which harms some CP's.

I am currently submerging my plants in water for 48 hours to see if this works.
    I will post my results in about a month.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually, my plants seem to be doing fine. I removed all damaged growth and all new growth seems to be fine. My Sundews are producing dew and flowers.
    However, I will not do any further applications of the aerosol version of Orthenex. One scare was enough.
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never tried the aerosol. The product I used was granular to be dissolved in water. I looked at the product mentioned here and decided I didnf't know enough about it to trust it, and now I'm glad I didn't. I am looking for orthene now. If I find a source I will let you know where to get it, and if anyone knows of an online source for orthene please let me know as I have the problem currently as well.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info William. I appreciate it. The spray version is definitely harmful to Drosera and I have to assume it could kill Pings also. It even caused the moss growing around my Dixie Lace to turn brown.
    Right now my plants are soaking in R/O water and hopefully this will kill enough of the aphids to give me time to find the granular version.
    If anyone finds a source for the version you use, please let us know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast