What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aerosol orthenex

smile_h_32.gif

I tried the aerosol version of Orthenex on my VFTs, Sundews and Sarras. The sundews are not producing dew and the new growth on the sarras is brown and wilted. Are they dead? Can I save them? The VFTs seem fine, however. What do I do??!!!??!!

flush 'em out and wait. that's all that you can do.

they should all be just fine in time though.

I know that sarras are prettty tough but I'm really worried about the dews... I've never had pests before and just got raided by thrips and aphids. My Judith Hindle looked so sad!

don't worry. the dews will make it.

if my tropical species can take it, so can yours.

give it some time.

flush flush flush

The propellants probably hurt the plants. Stick to the concentrated, dilutable stuff. Sure it wasn't weed killer?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ April 19 2005,7:30)]The propellants probably hurt the plants. Stick to the concentrated, dilutable stuff. Sure it wasn't weed killer?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
no, it most assuredly was orthenex pesticide.
I'm so mad... 5 years and no pests and the one time I get them and BOOM!

MAD!! :
mad.gif

I don't think it was the propellant so much as what they had the Orthonex mixed in. Look at the lable and see if it used petroleum distilates or other type of oil for the carrier. If so, that is a more likely suspect. CPs are said to be more sensitive to products with oil or petroleum based chemicals in them. Also, I had the tentacles burn on my scorpioides and one other pygmy sundew when I sprayed all my CPs with Orthenex last week. The plants were OK but the tentacles all curled up into the leaf. It didn't bother any of my other plants. I'll mix a slightly more dilute batch next time to see if that makes a difference.

I used Orothenex Sunday.  Same problem here...dews are not dewing...moss is turning brown.  I am unhappy.  It did not seem to affect my Dixie Lace.  Thank God I did not spray my whole collection, especially my pings.
I am discontinuing use of the product.
I am filling four five gallon buckets with RO water and submerging as many pots as I can at one time for 48 hours.

Lauderdale, did you use the aeresol spray or the concentrate?

I bought the spray can because it was the only thing Target carries.  The active ingredients are:
acephate-0.25%
resmethrin-0.10%
triforine-0.10%
other ingredients-99.5% (Water?)
Would someone who is using the non spray stuff check to see if the ingredients are the same.

So far one burmanni has perished and a couple of other dews are looking bad.
Lets keep this thread updated to see if this is a viable product for CP's.

I called Ortho and the person I spoke with couldn't find what the other 99.55% of ingredients where....
I think you were right BigCarnivourKid, it seems like with this product they want it to stick to plants so therefor they use an oil based mixer.
My dews are producing dew again and the only growth that was damaged on my Sarras was new growth (which I removed) and any new growth emerging seems to be fine. I think they may just survive.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Lauderdale @ April 21 2005,7:40)]I bought the spray can because it was the only thing Target carries. The active ingredients are:
acephate-0.25%
resmethrin-0.10%
triforine-0.10%
other ingredients-99.5% (Water?)
Would someone who is using the non spray stuff check to see if the ingredients are the same.
Acephate................. 4.00%
Triforine................... 3.25%
Fenbutatin-oxide*...... 0.75%
Other ingrediants........92.00%

*Hexakis

Keep in mind this is ment to be diluted and that's why the concentrations are higher.

They are similar but definitely not the same. I sprayed all my plants with this and the two types of sundews were the only CPs to show any bad reaction to the spray. By all I mean all. My Pinguicula, Drosera, N. ventricosa & N. × "Judith Finn", Utricularia, and VFTs.

There have been about four threads started on this subject (aphids and other pests) in the last couple of months so it is definitely a problem we need to look at.
I am trying to boil down the information and come up with some kind of solution for the aphids.  Orothene was recommended by a very knowledgable Drosera grower as a no "problem solution" for aphids and I trust his judgement.

However, kahnli and I used Orthenex, which I believe is the spray version of Orothene and it is definitely not for use on Drosera and I assume Pings.  There is something in the spray version which harms some CP's.

I am currently submerging my plants in water for 48 hours to see if this works.
I will post my results in about a month.

actually, my plants seem to be doing fine. I removed all damaged growth and all new growth seems to be fine. My Sundews are producing dew and flowers.
However, I will not do any further applications of the aerosol version of Orthenex. One scare was enough.

I never tried the aerosol. The product I used was granular to be dissolved in water. I looked at the product mentioned here and decided I didnf't know enough about it to trust it, and now I'm glad I didn't. I am looking for orthene now. If I find a source I will let you know where to get it, and if anyone knows of an online source for orthene please let me know as I have the problem currently as well.

Thanks for the info William.  I appreciate it.  The spray version is definitely harmful to Drosera and I have to assume it could kill Pings also.  It even caused the moss growing around my Dixie Lace to turn brown.
Right now my plants are soaking in R/O water and hopefully this will kill enough of the aphids to give me time to find the granular version.
If anyone finds a source for the version you use, please let us know.

The liquid form of Orthene is impossible to find around here. Orthenex is all they sell. I prefer to keep my aphid killer be for that purpose alone. Orthenex also contains a fungicide. Killed a P. ionantha with orthenex, never a problem with orthene. For my plants, it is as follows. BanRot for root rot problems, damping off, molds, certain fungus'. Cleery 3336WP wetable powder. Worth its weight in gold for fungal probs, and systemic. Orthene (not orthenex) for aphids, thrips, scale, and any other sucking insect that feeds on beautiful CP. Whitefly don't like it either.

I bought the Orthenex, but haven't actually used it yet. I'm just a little concerned about it's use. So, for those who have Orthene, where do the rest of us obtain it?

Back