Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Going into public high school this fall

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will do fine, just keep your head up. This is a great chance to meet new people and help you deal with punks at work later in life. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Best of luck!
    \"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.\"
    -- Oscar Wilde

http://www.nasarracenia.org/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tanya, You'll do great whatever you decide to do in life if you approach it with the enthusiam and energy you show here. School will be different, but isn't that always good? It sounds like you know who you are, hold on to that and realize that who you are is changing and evolving. You will be different when you face your graduation, even more different after that.
    Good luck and good growing!
    All proofs inevitably lead to propositions that have no proof. All things are known because we want to believe in them.

My Growlist updated with available trades and pictures - PM if interested

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm homeschooled, and I've found that I have no trouble conversing with Public Schoolers as long as I remember to use a small vocabulary and short sentences.

j/k, the only problems I've experienced are people whose primary interests are sex, gossip, etc. - having no common interests makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.

There are a very few homeschoolers who do live in bubble worlds, and I pity them, but there are at least as many lonely public schoolers whose ipod is always in use. On average I find my homeschooling friends more sociable than those who attend public schools.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehehe Congrats Tanya! I thin kI`m going to be either a nurse or gastroenterolagist in the military....
    [img]http://home.**********.com/users/pondboy/Neps/Neps%20sig..JPG[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting thread Tanya.

Rubra's advice is probably spot on.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I'm homeschooled, and I've found that I have no trouble conversing with Public Schoolers as long as I remember to use a small vocabulary and short sentences.
    j/k, the only problems I've experienced are people whose primary interests are sex, gossip, etc. - having no common interests makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.
    I believe you will do just fine. You probably have a much better education than most in your new school and never apologize for that.
    Stay frosty!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I have to disagree with some of this. *Please note I am speaking only of my experiences, am making some generalizations, and speaking of nobody here. As a public school teacher in Florida I have found that the few home-schooled students that I get - many come to high school after being at home through 8th grade- have the same limited, nonpolysyllabic vocabulary as their public schooled counterparts. Many of them are more unprepared for their coursework since mom and dad mean well but don't have the technical skill to teach 6 or 7 subjects in any depth. I got a homeschooled girl in my zoology class at the start of the new semester in January - her lesson on animal behavior was a field trip to the Lowry Park Zoo in Tampa to watch the animals (her description not mine). I hardly think this equates with the 3 to 4 weeks I spend on animal behavior in the classroom. I will agree with the advice about staying out of the bathrooms- school bathrooms are disgusting - practice bladder control exercises, buy Depends, anything is better than going in. Also be prepared school food = fat, grease, yuck!
    Tanya, I don't mean to scare you, but the worst part of public school in Florida is that they're now filled with Yankees. Yankees who do nothing but talk about how (insert name of northern state) is better than here and they can't wait to get out of here and Yankees who do nothing but complain about the weather. I have found if you start talking about eating possum, gator, and assorted road kill they tend to stop talking and walk away - they never know if you're kidding or not. All in all, I don't think you'll find it that bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Yankees are right. April.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I moved from Mississippi to Connecticut for my senior year of high school (1978) I noticed the CT high school worked much harder for the upper and lower 10%, but the middle group would have been better off in my MS school. A friend's daughter is in her freshman year at the "better" of the two local high schools and, sure enough, she's telling him the same thing. Especially in leafy Republican suburbs, CT high schools measure themselves by the number of admissions to Ivy League or other elite colleges. It's a measure of something, but not necessarily of academic quality.

As an aside, I suspect Mississippi schools have slid considerably since the 1970s. Education is one of the first things to suffer in a theocracy.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast