User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Results 57 to 64 of 74

Thread: Going into public high school this fall

  1. #57
    Lauderdale's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    1,077
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    aprilh, Thanks for posting the website containing the history of the Confederate Flag. That was very interesting.

    http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun...erate_Flag.htm

    We are all Americans, but I can tell you when I opened that site and Dixie began playing, the pride of my Southern heritage was very evident. I hear it so infrequently now, because it is considered politically incorrect, but it was a part of my life as I grew up. It was our marching song at Tennessee Military Institute. We never thought of it as a symbol of slavery or repression. It simply embodied the spirit of the South…no different than a Notre Dame Alumni standing just a little taller, a little straighter when their fight song is played at a football game.

    Remember John Denver’s song, “Thank God I’m a Country Boy”? Well, I am a Southern country boy just whistling Dixie as I walk down a dusty country lane…and proud of it.

    Good luck Tanya and save your Confederate dollars.

  2. #58
    apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    T-ville, Florida
    Posts
    2,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]lol... I said FREEZING cold, not just a slightly chilly
    That's my point. 45 in the North IS only slightly chilly. Barely jacket situation. But have you ever been HERE when it's 45? Hm? IT IS A LOT COLDER.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Why Oh Why would someone be proud of where they were born? Good lord.
    It's just a natural thing. I don't know how else to explain it.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]b) Rebels fought in the Civil War, and my understanding is that people who call themselves Rebels cannot possbly be rebels, because rebels actually fought in the Civil War. If you didn't...you're a southernor, Just like I'm a northernor.
    Did you even read my post? Read this part again:
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]It's a different concept.. today, a Yankee is anyone born in the North and a Rebel is anyone born in the South. Whether you choose to be proud of it and make it part of who you are is your choice. You believe what you believe, but I believe in being proud of where you were born, just like being generally proud that you're American. Besides, everybody on here mentioned Yankees. If there are no Rebels, then there are no Yankees, either. But you never said anything to the people in this thread that said the word "Yankee".
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Just because a person flies the stars n' bars....don't make it so.
    I might just be dense, but that made no sense.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]And, btw, the stars and bars that everyone thinks of is NOT the confederate army flag. Here is the real southern battle flag...

    ]http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun....]
    I know that. It's just that the one you see most commonly is most widely recognized.

    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Public schooled here...and I'll match you syllable for syllable with words. And I'll actually know what they mean, and will be able to apply them in a sentence, unlike the privately schooled types. april
    So you're saying we can't do that? Wow, I guess that's why I got way above average on language/reading/vocabulary skills on the acheivement test.

    THANKS for the support, Lauderdale. BTW, if I had Confederate money, I WOULD save it!

    My grandfather is completely obsessed over the fact that I have a Confederate flag and that I have the symbol on the red Western hat I wear while horseback riding.. every time I wear that hat, he yells about it and it's a fight to let me go in a restaurant or something after I go horseback riding. On Sunday I went on a trail ride, so I was wearing the hat when we were driving back, and we were going to eat at Dogs R Us (God I love that place.. best buffalo wings EVER! And projector screens everywhere.. can you say football heaven?), since we had to drop my cousin off there anyway so her dad could pick her up, and I got in a fight with my grandfather because he didn't want me to wear the had because of the Confederate flag symbol on the front of it. For some reason he thinks everywhere I go, if I wear it, I'm going to start a riot. Either that or he's afraid somebody might think he was born in the South. WELL GOD FORBID!! This is such crap.. I mean, just because somebody's against it doesn't mean they're going to bomb me for wearing it. Just like I'm not going to attack somebody for wearing a New England Patriots or Florida State University Seminoles jersey. I might burn a little with hatred, but I'm not going to KILL them. If other people can wear what they want, so can I. PEOPLE!! IT'S A CONFEDERATE FLAG, NOT A SWASTIKA. CHILL OUT.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

  3. #59

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 24 2005,1:13)]For your information, in January it can be in the 40s in the day, which is way colder than in the 40s in the North. TRUST ME. I've been in 45-degree weather in the North. I wore shorts. But I've also been in 45-degree weather here. I wore long pants and about four layers and STILL almost froze. For some reason, 45 degrees here is a whole lot colder than 45 degrees in the North. 45 degrees here is like half that in the North.

    -----------
    Edit for language: Do NOT use special characters to bypass the profanity filter.
    That's because the 40s are typically the coldest it gets there, and you're used to a warm climate. I went to grad school in the midwest, where it could get down to -10 F in winter, before factoring in wind chill. By the time April rolled around, and it finally rose above freezing, people would be out in shorts and T-shirts when it's 35 F... it felt downright balmy after months of hard, sub-freezing temps.

    hee hee... looks like FTG was naughty! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    My Grow List

    "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

  4. #60
    apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    T-ville, Florida
    Posts
    2,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're not listening to me. I said I have been in New England when it was 45. If I'm simply used to a warm climate, don't you think I'd be cold there? I wasn't. 45 was GREAT there. I literally wore shorts. MY POINT IS that when it gets in the 40s here, FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON, it's cold as HELL, a LOT colder than the exact same temperature in New England. It's not that I'm used to a warm climate. Somebody my grandparents knew who was born and raised in New England came down here once a long time ago during the winter, expecting warm weather, and realized, HOLY CRAP IT'S COLD!!! She SAID that it's a LOT colder here than it is in New England at the same temperature. And I have many other relatives who were born in New England and who will tell you that what I'm saying is true.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

  5. #61
    Capslock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,088
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FTG, I think that's because in places like Florida (or here in San Francisco), it gets cold usually when it's also very humid. Cold weather when it's damp feels colder. Whereas in New England, it's usually dry when it gets real cold, so it doesn't feel as cold.

    Does that make any sense?
    Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

    My photos are copyright-free and public domain

  6. #62
    Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Posts
    9,681
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    like humid hot weather feels hotter than dry heat

  7. #63
    apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    T-ville, Florida
    Posts
    2,619
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Caps, it makes alot of sense, because I knew that already. So there, even more truth to what I've been trying to say for the past month in this thread. Believe it or not, it DOES get cold here sometimes. I've lived here all my life and I've been in the North many times to compare. I think I'd know.

    Rant over.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

  8. #64
    herenorthere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    almost Hartford
    Posts
    3,785
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would anyone expect weather to be the same in Florida as anywhere else? Nothing else is.
    Bruce in CT

    Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •