What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going into public high school this fall

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Well, as most of you know, I've been home schooled since.. well, ever.. on the DVD program where they send you DVDs of the classes along with textbooks, tests, quizzes, etc. Anyhoo, I'm going into public high school this fall when I go into 9th grade, mostly because home school is really starting to bore me. This is more complicated than it appears. We had to talk to someone about whether we should do the achievement test all the homeschoolers take (it's like the FCAT) at the end of this school year along with the test I need to take to get into public school or if I should just take the latter. We're still not sure if I'm gonna take the acheivement test or not, but last week we went to the local middle school and talked to a counselor about the tests I was gonna have to take there before I could get into high school this fall and she gave us a couple booklets listing the courses and electives for all four years. I spent about three hours looking over that that day. Anyhoo, earlier today we went back down there and I took the math, reading and IQ tests I have to take to see "where I am" at this point, and the results haven't come back yet, but what we know so far is we got the tests done at record time, I have a few holes in my math skills (knew that), and I'm above average on language and reading skills. After that, me and the counselor looked over all the courses and electives available for 9th grade and I got all 8 credits listed, so now I know exactly what's gonna go down next school year. I'm taking the basic 9th grade courses and several electives... Applied Mathematics 1 & 2, English 1, Integrated Science 1, Personal Fitness and Health/Life Management Skills, Weight Training, Pottery (had to take something in Performing Arts, so I picked the easiest), Computer Tech... I think that's it. Anyhoo, I may or may not do dual enrollment (where you can take two years of college classes while in high school).. I need to find out how much extra work that is, because, call me lazy or unacademic (because I know I'm both), but if I have to devote my life to twice as much work, I'm not dual enrolling. I also need to figure out whether or not I'm going to college eventually, because I need to go to a police academy at some point or another, and I still haven't figured out whether I'll go straight to that or go through college first. It really depends, I don't know yet. Anyway, if I do go to college, it will be University of Florida, and to do that, I'd have to move to Gainesville, which isn't even in the same county, which is gonna suck, because I really resent the idea of moving to an area I've never even been and not knowing it at all, plus moving away from my mom and the few friends I do have. I'm sorry, but that's just an issue with me. Anyhoo, so that's what's going down in my life.

Ooooh, that's all good. It's just ninth grade, so don't worry about going off to college yet. By the time it rolls around, you'll want to get out and go somewhere new, believe me. In any case, plan on going to college, it just keeps your options wide open. I changed my mind a thousand times from ninth grade on about what I wanted to do. It also sounds like you'll breeze through the high school courses, so just focus on maintaining a sane pace and having fun!

Capslock

Academically, you'll run circles arouind them. It's the social part that can be trciky. Usually a new kid in a school is potentially "dead meat", as the others tend to test this new kid out. The bathrooms could be deadly. So when you go there, PLEASE, don't kill any of them!
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Hello

I have been home schooled my whole life, I'm in 11th grade now. I'm pretty involved with a local 5A high school, my Uncle teaches there so I have gotten to know quite a few of the kids and teachers that go there.

My brother who is in 9th grade and a outstanding basketball player is one of the most popular kid in the whole school and he does not even go there. He is taking a Junior who people call the prettiest girl in school out to prom this weekend. So I really think it is a misconception the home schooled kids are not sociable. I know there are some home schooled kids that aren't congenial but there are plenty public schooled kids who are not very amiable either lol.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Well, I don't worry about the social situation much. I already know peer pressure will never be an issue with me, because it's just who I am not to be a moldable influence sponge to society.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The bathrooms could be deadly. So when you go there, PLEASE, don't kill any of them!

Depends on my mood that day.

Caps, I know, but I'm thinking about it now because some of the electives I have to choose from in the later highschool years have to do with pre-training for a career, so I need to figure this stuff out RIGHT NOW or I'll be pressured to figure it out today, and then the next day, and then the rest of the week.. it'll just keep weighing on my mind as something that needs to be done and something that I dread having to do, but something that I need to do, and I'll just keep putting it in the back of my mind, trying to ignore it, but it'll just keep resurfacing, and pricking at my conscious all hours of the day, and then at the end of the week you find me dead in the bathroom with blood coming out of my ears.

Anyway.

When I make a decision, I'm pretty sure to it, so.. I know being a cop is what I want. That revalation surfaced.. I don't know, some time in the last year. Since I was little I wanted to be a vet, just like every other little kid, but the only reason I held onto it until recently was because my grandparents didn't think I COULD (for some reason, I have no idea.. they should know I can handle it easily, but they choose to ignore what I say and assume they know me better than I do), since I'm one of those people who strives on the doubt and dislike of others, and I just pined to prove them wrong and become a vet. Eventually that idea went stale and I changed my mind, but only because I got bored with the idea. I had actually started getting bored with the vet idea way before that, but that's the first time I actually knew for myself that I wasn't going to do it. Now I know what I'm going to do and I know it's what I'm going to do. EDIT: Was that last sentence as redundant as it looks?

Hey Tanya,
So are you looking forward to proper school? a big difference to homeschooling I bet!
smile_m_32.gif

Proper school?? It's the same exact thing, except it has a social structure. And no, I'm not looking forward to it.. it doesn't come across that way, does it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 20 2005,4:34)]Depends on my mood that day.
Hmmm... why am I only mildly comforted? *be afraid... be very afraid*
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jeremiah Harris @ April 20 2005,4:25)]I have been home schooled my whole life, I'm in 11th grade now.  I'm pretty involved with a local 5A high school, my Uncle teaches there so I have gotten to know quite a few of the kids and teachers that go there.
Oh, I agree. There are several homeschooled kids on this forum and every one that I have gotten to know is a gem.

Yeah, jeebus, I WISH I had been home schooled, but things like that didn't exist in the 1890's.  Just do your best, Tanya, I know you will.  

Personally, I think home-schooled kids have an edge over reg. school kids.  They're definitely ahead of most of their peers in the reading and critical thought game.  

And I know you're nervous about this.  Just don't front, in the long run..it's real hard to maintain, and stressful.   Be yourself, relax.  I was told in 8th grade that everybody was out to get freshman....no-one bugged me at all.  Very anti-climactic.  

Also...you're a freshman to be...don't worry about college quite yet.  Or your future career. Worry, instead, about how to keep your grades up.  That'll keep you busy, LOL!  

Also...pottery is not easy.  Just wait until you have something you made that you really, really liked blow up in the kiln.  Heh.  April.

Jimscott, glad to see kitty resting comfortably on his side.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ April 20 2005,5:53)]Yeah, jeebus, I WISH I had been home schooled, but things like that didn't exist in the 1890's.  Just do your best, Tanya, I know you will.  

Personally, I think home-schooled kids have an edge over reg. school kids.  They're definitely ahead of most of their peers in the reading and critical thought game.  

And I know you're nervous about this.  Just don't front, in the long run..it's real hard to maintain, and stressful.   Be yourself, relax.  I was told in 8th grade that everybody was out to get freshman....no-one bugged me at all.  Very anti-climactic.  

Also...you're a freshman to be...don't worry about college quite yet.  Or your future career. Worry, instead, about how to keep your grades up.  That'll keep you busy, LOL!  

Also...pottery is not easy.  Just wait until you have something you made that you really, really liked blow up in the kiln.  Heh.  April.

Jimscott, glad to see kitty resting comfortably on his side.
Tanya nervous or scared? LOL! More like Mwahahaha!

About the kitty.... I PM'd my friend and requested he rotate it another 180. I think he is compromising  a bit. Hey, do you have the cat litter box cake picture?

Jimscott..I used to have it...let me rummage around a bit. I think Laurazone5 probably has it for sure. April

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And I know you're nervous about this.

*doesn't even bother saying anything, transferring April directly to line 2:*
[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 20,2005 @ 10:34)]Well, I don't worry about the social situation much. I already know peer pressure will never be an issue with me, because it's just who I am not to be a moldable influence sponge to society.

And I can't really help thinking about my career already. It's not that I try to or I think I have to, I just do.

And just a side note...... if I see another person walk up to me to ask what I want to be when I grow up, I'm going to call the cops as soon as I see the person walking towards me so they can come restrain me before that person gets all the way up to me to ask, because I know I'll freaking punch them out if not restrained. STOP ASKING ME THAT!!! AUGH!!! DO I LOOK LIKE I'M 7 TO YOU?!?!?!!

*flames*

Anyway.

Yup, she was the originator of it. Do yo have the kitty licking screen?

kittylitter1n.jpg

Gee, almost small enough for an avatar pic!    
smile_m_32.gif

Here's the recipe:

Recipe

Ah yes, the topic at hand... trust me, Tanya deefinitely can take care of herself.

Any one else notice a problem with these sentance parts:
"and I'm above average on language and reading skills. After that, me and the counselor looked over all the courses"
Or is it just me? Kind of funny actually.

I would recommend you keep your wits and morals/ideals about you. and whoever it was was right about trying to use the bathroom as little as possible. A big plus is you will get more freedom and "develop" (more) social skills and so being more prepared for life. In that I mean dealing with people.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (aprilh @ April 20 2005,3:53)]Also...pottery is not easy. Just wait until you have something you made that you really, really liked blow up in the kiln. Heh. April.
Aww man! You beat me to it april. I worked with pottery for about three years (in my 20s) and enjoyed it. Clay can be very theraputic too as you draw somebody's face on it then begin to mash it!

You will do fine, just keep your head up. This is a great chance to meet new people and help you deal with punks at work later in life.
smile.gif
Best of luck!

Tanya, You'll do great whatever you decide to do in life if you approach it with the enthusiam and energy you show here. School will be different, but isn't that always good? It sounds like you know who you are, hold on to that and realize that who you are is changing and evolving. You will be different when you face your graduation, even more different after that.
Good luck and good growing!

I'm homeschooled, and I've found that I have no trouble conversing with Public Schoolers as long as I remember to use a small vocabulary and short sentences.

j/k, the only problems I've experienced are people whose primary interests are sex, gossip, etc. - having no common interests makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.

There are a very few homeschoolers who do live in bubble worlds, and I pity them, but there are at least as many lonely public schoolers whose ipod is always in use. On average I find my homeschooling friends more sociable than those who attend public schools.

Peter

Hehehe Congrats Tanya! I thin kI`m going to be either a nurse or gastroenterolagist in the military....

Back