What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going into public high school this fall

I think the perception that home-schooled kids have less social skills is really just the fact they they don't already know the kids in the public schools. If you go through the public school system, you usually know kids from years back. Doesn't mean anything though, punks are punks. And from what I remember, the public school system helps you deal with the crud you will later face in college, and politics in the workplace. As for restrooms - if you gotta go...they're cleaner in the mornings, and the ones near the administrative offices are overall better.
smile_n_32.gif

If they tell you to use a certain restroom during lunch don't. Go to a different one. Usually the Drug-Adicts hang out there. Quite disgusting. If a teacher asks jsut explain. They will most likly understand.

OK, after reading all this, I have one simple suggestion. FTG, go easy on them. You're going to roll through there like a bulldozer, and nobody better get in your way! I think you'll find the school administration maddeningly incompetent, and you'll realize quickly that one or two of your teachers aren't as smart as you. Just try to have patience with all of them.

Capslock

" you'll realize quickly that one or two of your teachers aren't as smart as you" well you are in ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]For your information, in January it can be in the 40s in the day, which is way colder than in the 40s in the North. TRUST ME. I've been in 45-degree weather in the North.
lol... I said FREEZING cold, not just a slightly chilly
laugh.gif
(lol... LOL I just wish I could see your expression!!!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 24 2005,1:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Never mentioned Rebels, there aren't any, as the Civil War ended over 140 years ago.  The last rebel died a long time ago. If you didn't fight in the Civil War, you're not a rebel, sorry.  I was born in the South. I consider myself to be an american. Being proud of where you're born makes about as much sense to me as being proud of having fingernails. It's not a personal achievement.  April

It's a different concept.. today, a Yankee is anyone born in the North and a Rebel is anyone born in the South. Whether you choose to be proud of it and make it part of who you are is your choice. You believe what you believe, but I believe in being proud of where you were born, just like being generally proud that you're American. Besides, everybody on here mentioned Yankees. If there are no Rebels, then there are no Yankees, either. But you never said anything to the people in this thread that said the word "Yankee".

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Anyway, it's Southern politicians who lead the movement to increase corporate power, restrict constitutional protections, destroy nature, meddle in private lives and over-rule state courts.  Seems like Southerners of today have looked at the worst aspects of the Yankees of 1861 and like what they see.  Congratulations.

What the southern politicians do is not my fault and it is not any other southerner's fault. Just because out politicians are @#$holes doesn't mean we can't be proud to be southern. I'm not happy with President Bush either, but does that mean I dislike America? No.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]be ready to wake up early, have to wait for the bus

Nope. Can't ride the bus. I'm not 2 miles or more from Astronaut. Only 1.9. Probably gonna have my grandparents drive me or somethin'. And I don't have to wake up any earlier than I'm already used to.. high school gets in at, like, 9:30.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]in the freezing cold (oh wait... you're in florida)

For your information, in January it can be in the 40s in the day, which is way colder than in the 40s in the North. TRUST ME. I've been in 45-degree weather in the North. I wore shorts. But I've also been in 45-degree weather here. I wore long pants and about four layers and STILL almost froze. For some reason, 45 degrees here is a whole lot colder than 45 degrees in the North. 45 degrees here is like half that in the North.

April, yeah the Civil War is over, but that doesn't mean people don't have the right to be proud of the heritage. Anybody can be proud of any @#$% thing they want.
Why Oh Why would someone be proud of where they were born? Good lord.

It's not a choice the person made. It had nothing to do with them.  

My mother was in Kentucky (a border state)when I was born. So, Tanya, by your estimation, I'm a rebel.  But I reject totally that label because:

a) I was raised in the North.  Lombard, IL, to be exact
b) Rebels fought in the Civil War, and my understanding is that people who call themselves Rebels cannot possbly be rebels, because rebels actually fought in the Civil War.  If you didn't...you're a southernor, Just like I'm a northernor.  

Just because a person flies the stars n' bars....don't make it so.  And, btw, the stars and bars that everyone thinks of is NOT the confederate army flag.   Here is the real southern battle flag...

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/Confederate_Flag.htm

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rubra @ April 20 2005,10:46)]I'm homeschooled, and I've found that I have no trouble conversing with Public Schoolers as long as I remember to use a small vocabulary and short sentences.

j/k, the only problems I've experienced are people whose primary interests are sex, gossip, etc. - having no common interests makes it difficult to carry on a conversation.

There are a very few homeschoolers who do live in bubble worlds, and I pity them, but there are at least as many lonely public schoolers whose ipod is always in use.  On average I find my homeschooling friends more sociable than those who attend public schools.

Peter
Rubra,

Public schooled here...and I'll match you syllable for syllable with words.  And I'll actually know what they mean, and will be able to apply them in a sentence, unlike the privately schooled types. april

I'm public schooled too. The demographics of the elementary classrooms in our area were considerably different back then. When we went to school, children who did not perform were held back a year. Children who had behavioral issues were sent to specialized schools as were children who required more one on one time than that which a teacher could reasonably provide. There were teachers specially trained to work exclusively with both behaviorally disabled and learning disabled children and these children were grouped in smaller numbers of peers in quieter settings. Children who did not speak English were separated from their peers until at such time as they had enough grasp of our language that they could communicate productively. Children of migrant workers generally did not enroll their children in schools. Now they do. Granted most pull them back out around Christmas time but they come back in the spring and the child is placed back in the same classroom even though that child has missed out on classroom instruction for the past 3 months. This is the year 2005, we mainstream now. It does seem to ease up in Middle School and even more so in HS because placement in academic classes is based on performance.  Just a thought.

aprilh,
Before you get to sure of your self, possibly has an i in it and both southerner and northerner are er not or.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Oh my gosh Jeremy, there's no spell check here...
What ever you do... don't look at the spelling in my posts please.  Spelling was never my strong point and it got even worse when I started using Microsoft Word as that program highlights all my spelling errors in red. Same deal with my math, they came out with calculators that were affordable back in the 70's so my basic math skills took a nose dive too.  Good thing my kids aren't homeschooled. They'd be in trouble!

Jeremiah,

Before you get too sure of yourself, the sentence should read "before you get too sure of yourself" That's too with 2 o's.  I've seen southernor and northerner spelled both ways, BTW.  Refer to a style-book.  
smile_m_32.gif
  april

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Public schooled here...and I'll match you syllable for syllable with words. And I'll actually know what they mean, and will be able to apply them in a sentence, unlike the privately schooled types. april

Don't worry, I do know a decent number of public school kids who are great with words, it's just that a sizeable demographic of scholars in state-run academies utilize only a fraction of the english vocabulary. I find their tendency is to regard any person who does have a healthy vocabulary as a nerd.

Peter

Well, yeah, anytime you know what you're talking about... people who don't will think less of you.  Especially if you know how to express yourself properly. I can't tell anyone much about anything except how to pick out a guitar or bass, and how to re-create a prairie. Those 2 things, I'm decent at.  My cats think I'm a genius, and I'm not about to dissuade them.   
smile_m_32.gif
 April

there's a big difference between knowing what your talking about and being a know-it-all, too.

Oh yeah there is! Don't ya just hate those types?!

aprilh, Thanks for posting the website containing the history of the Confederate Flag.  That was very interesting.

http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/Confederate_Flag.htm

We are all Americans, but I can tell you when I opened that site and Dixie began playing, the pride of my Southern heritage was very evident.  I hear it so infrequently now, because it is considered politically incorrect, but it was a part of my life as I grew up.  It was our marching song at Tennessee Military Institute.  We never thought of it as a symbol of slavery or repression.  It simply embodied the spirit of the South…no different than a Notre Dame Alumni standing just a little taller, a little straighter when their fight song is played at a football game.

Remember John Denver’s song, “Thank God I’m a Country Boy”?  Well, I am a Southern country boy just whistling Dixie as I walk down a dusty country lane…and proud of it.

Good luck Tanya and save your Confederate dollars.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]lol... I said FREEZING cold, not just a slightly chilly

That's my point. 45 in the North IS only slightly chilly. Barely jacket situation. But have you ever been HERE when it's 45? Hm? IT IS A LOT COLDER.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why Oh Why would someone be proud of where they were born? Good lord.

It's just a natural thing. I don't know how else to explain it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]b) Rebels fought in the Civil War, and my understanding is that people who call themselves Rebels cannot possbly be rebels, because rebels actually fought in the Civil War.  If you didn't...you're a southernor, Just like I'm a northernor.

Did you even read my post? Read this part again:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It's a different concept.. today, a Yankee is anyone born in the North and a Rebel is anyone born in the South. Whether you choose to be proud of it and make it part of who you are is your choice. You believe what you believe, but I believe in being proud of where you were born, just like being generally proud that you're American. Besides, everybody on here mentioned Yankees. If there are no Rebels, then there are no Yankees, either. But you never said anything to the people in this thread that said the word "Yankee".

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Just because a person flies the stars n' bars....don't make it so.

I might just be dense, but that made no sense.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And, btw, the stars and bars that everyone thinks of is NOT the confederate army flag.   Here is the real southern battle flag...

]http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoun....]

I know that. It's just that the one you see most commonly is most widely recognized.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Public schooled here...and I'll match you syllable for syllable with words.  And I'll actually know what they mean, and will be able to apply them in a sentence, unlike the privately schooled types. april

So you're saying we can't do that? Wow, I guess that's why I got way above average on language/reading/vocabulary skills on the acheivement test.

THANKS for the support, Lauderdale. BTW, if I had Confederate money, I WOULD save it!

My grandfather is completely obsessed over the fact that I have a Confederate flag and that I have the symbol on the red Western hat I wear while horseback riding.. every time I wear that hat, he yells about it and it's a fight to let me go in a restaurant or something after I go horseback riding. On Sunday I went on a trail ride, so I was wearing the hat when we were driving back, and we were going to eat at Dogs R Us (God I love that place.. best buffalo wings EVER! And projector screens everywhere.. can you say football heaven?), since we had to drop my cousin off there anyway so her dad could pick her up, and I got in a fight with my grandfather because he didn't want me to wear the had because of the Confederate flag symbol on the front of it. For some reason he thinks everywhere I go, if I wear it, I'm going to start a riot. Either that or he's afraid somebody might think he was born in the South. WELL GOD FORBID!! This is such crap.. I mean, just because somebody's against it doesn't mean they're going to bomb me for wearing it. Just like I'm not going to attack somebody for wearing a New England Patriots or Florida State University Seminoles jersey. I might burn a little with hatred, but I'm not going to KILL them. If other people can wear what they want, so can I. PEOPLE!! IT'S A CONFEDERATE FLAG, NOT A SWASTIKA. CHILL OUT.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ April 24 2005,1:13)]For your information, in January it can be in the 40s in the day, which is way colder than in the 40s in the North. TRUST ME. I've been in 45-degree weather in the North. I wore shorts. But I've also been in 45-degree weather here. I wore long pants and about four layers and STILL almost froze. For some reason, 45 degrees here is a whole lot colder than 45 degrees in the North. 45 degrees here is like half that in the North.

-----------
Edit for language:  Do NOT use special characters to bypass the profanity filter.
That's because the 40s are typically the coldest it gets there, and you're used to a warm climate. I went to grad school in the midwest, where it could get down to -10 F in winter, before factoring in wind chill. By the time April rolled around, and it finally rose above freezing, people would be out in shorts and T-shirts when it's 35 F... it felt downright balmy after months of hard, sub-freezing temps.

hee hee... looks like FTG was naughty!
smile_n_32.gif

You're not listening to me. I said I have been in New England when it was 45. If I'm simply used to a warm climate, don't you think I'd be cold there? I wasn't. 45 was GREAT there. I literally wore shorts. MY POINT IS that when it gets in the 40s here, FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON, it's cold as HELL, a LOT colder than the exact same temperature in New England. It's not that I'm used to a warm climate. Somebody my grandparents knew who was born and raised in New England came down here once a long time ago during the winter, expecting warm weather, and realized, HOLY CRAP IT'S COLD!!! She SAID that it's a LOT colder here than it is in New England at the same temperature. And I have many other relatives who were born in New England and who will tell you that what I'm saying is true.

Back