What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darla got a big surprise last night

one of our ducks was attacked by a cat awhile back, he had been doing better but when Darla glanced out the back door lastnight he appeared dead(which he was) so she opened up the sliding glass door to go and ckeck it out. 2 of our 3 geese(one big white monster and the smaller African) were milling around by the back steps and flipped out when she opened the door. they always honk and hiss abit but they full out flipped out last night. Darla got confused till she heard one loud hiss coming from undernieth the steps benieth her feet, down under the steps was the other big white goose sitting on a nest full of eggs! she yelled at me to come and see what she found. all the while you would think we were trying to murder the geese with our bare hands for all the racket they were making. we thought this was all well and good and went back to what we were doing in the house, the geese continued to make as much noise as possible for about 15 minutes before they settled down. so now we cant use the back door, well we can but its not worth the racket.

i checked on the nest again this morning, saw no eggs when i glanced down and the geese were out in the field behind our house. when they heard the door open they started walking back to the house at there usual waddle and i thought maybe a skunk or something had gotten the eggs and didnt think nothing of it, i checked again after my shower and the lil African(little compared to the white monsters anyway, hes still prolly pushing 15 pounds, the white monsters are about 25ish) was uncovering the eggs that were under some straw and proceeded to sit on them. so the eggs are still well and good i think, i should have some baby geese running around in the future.

Oh how cool
smile.gif
congrats!
I feel for ya though geese protecting their nests arent pleasant at all! Mean little buggers

while the goosys were taking a bath in their swimming pool, i counted 11 eggs in the straw before they came a runnin dead set on taking me out. there may still be a couple i didnt see. hostile lil twerps

Hehe yeah they are mean little buggers.I got bit by one on my belly button when I was little
smile_n_32.gif
But congrats.I hope you take pics! *Niki*
laugh.gif

lol i was going to get rid of them but they run off 95% of the stray dogs and cats that come around. ive seen the white monsters run off a dog twice their size. cuts down the number of strays i have to shoot. plus this time of year they keep the weeds down a bit. going to have to find some locals to take any babies off my hands though

i have shot dogs that were extreamly agressive twords Darlas daughters and have tried to bite them on our property and i have shot a few in the rump with bird shot out of my .410 that were harrasing my animals before the geese were big enough to stand toe to toe with most dogs. i live in the country, rabies isnt unheard of up here AND animals harassing livestock are routinly shot up here. until i put a couple rounds of birdshot in the rears of a few they were harassing my animals on a daily basis that i knew of. being im at work for atleast 8 hours a day im sure they were around more often.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i have shot dogs...and have tried to bite them on our property

That must have been very difficult. How did they taste??
confused.gif

Awwwwwwwww...goslings will be so cute! But really sorry to hear about your duck. I had ducks growing up. They lived to be 7 yrs old. I'd love to have ducks as a pet again but not with a terrier.

Take pics!!

Very neat, rattler! I want some poultry, too...chickens, but have no place to build a coop right now.

We went to a nature preserve today, and all the geese had nests they where protecting. really had to watch your step around them. The director of the preserve told us they can break your arm with their wing.. None of us really believed that, but then again none of us wanted to test it either..

I have been debating with myself on getting acouple ducks.. I'm pretty sure I am winning the argument, just depends on when the other half breaks down and gives in.
smile_m_32.gif

keeping chikens and other fowl bay be a serious health hazard if bird flu ever gets ober here

dont think they can break your arm but i doubt you would enjoy the experiance very much.

Finch, i doubt keeping a few chickens, ducks or geese would be much of a worry. the biggest problem over in Asia is that they are keeping large-huge flocks in a small place. i would highly doubt a dozen or so more or less free range poultry would raise the risks much, if it did we would have seen this flu a long long time ago.

Well having been beaten around the head on a few occasions by duck wings, I can tell you I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a larger bird couldn't break an arm. That bone (elbow?) in their wing is HARD.

Gawd...get the ducks! They make great pets. In the summer when it started getting dark, my ducks used to hunt me down over at my neighbor's house. They'd come to the fence and make a quack-ruckus. They knew it was time "bedtime"...time to be penned and fed at sundown and they wanted me to be about it quick!
smile.gif
And nothing on earth loves MUD better than a duck.

here is the african sitting on the nest
427african.jpg

from left to right, a duck, a big white monster and the african all more or less on the nest
427goose.jpg

Pekin ducks. Just like mine.
smile.gif
That's a male on the left.

Back