Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I need photos of growth points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Est @ June 08 2005,11:37)]Hehe, while the blender technique may be sound based on the fact that plant cells exhibit totipotency (-most- every cell has the potential to form a new plant) I don't think this would work out so hot. For starters, the blender would probably do excessive damage to the cells, and as a broken up cell does us no good this wouldn't be the most effective means. Furthermore, I'd say you'd probably want bigger chunks anyway. Lastly, this process would be most viable if you're going the T/C route, if you just lay the chunks down on the soil, I'm not quite sure what your results will be, but the bigger the pieces the higher the sucess I imagine. All in all, this would be most effective if used along with T/C instead of simply laying doing the chunks. For use without T/C I'd say just keep the divisions of the growth point conservative.

---> I realize it may be a bit late since this thread originated quite a while ago, but I'll take some pics if needed... Heck, I'll probably do it just to avoid studying for Spanish finals. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    Hi Est,
    Thanks for the tips. I'll just set the blender to coarse pulse in the future.
    JB
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually used a food processor instead of the recommended blender. Mine came with an assortment of accessories to make different types of cuts. I used the low speed with the steel blade to make larger cuts but I suppose we could all experiment. I guess this was a take off technique from something posted in the ICPS on leaf tears from S. purpurea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 08 2005,11:55)]II used the low speed with the steel blade to make larger cuts but I suppose we could all experiment. I guess this was a take off technique from something posted in the ICPS on leaf tears from S. purpurea.
    Laura, I don't think we should ALL experiment. Only those of us with a little knowledge (a dangerous thing, eh?), and the right food processing equipment. Wolfgang Puck, I'm not, but I hope to achieve some notoriety for pioneering this method!

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Food processor? Well yeah thatll work just fine unlike the blender where I was thinkin youd be making some disgusting slurpee or something. what works best when you use that method though is to take all of the peices you chopped up and soak them in a mixture of superthrive and water for a day. After that put them in a bag and toss in about a quarter cup of rooting powder and a bit of the superthrive mixture (not too much or the powder wont stick) and shake it up itll look a bit like S. cole slaw. then go outside and toss it where you want it to grow then put down a fine layer of sphagnum peat over it all so it doesnt dry out in the sun. normally though its best to do after the first frost though Im hoping its not too late into the growing season.
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (unknownclown @ June 09 2005,2:31)]Food processor? Well yeah thatll work just fine unlike the blender where I was thinkin youd be making some disgusting slurpee or something. what works best when you use that method though is to take all of the peices you chopped up and soak them in a mixture of superthrive and water for a day. After that put them in a bag and toss in about a quarter cup of rooting powder and a bit of the superthrive mixture (not too much or the powder wont stick) and shake it up itll look a bit like S. cole slaw. then go outside and toss it where you want it to grow then put down a fine layer of sphagnum peat over it all so it doesnt dry out in the sun. normally though its best to do after the first frost though Im hoping its not too late into the growing season.
    I've heard of this before! I think it's called the shake and bake method! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't familiar with the Shake & bake method. Thank you so much for sharing that with me, I really appreciate it. I do have SuperThrive here that I bought from **********.com and I also have some Rootone. The addition of both to the mix make a lot of sense to me. Cool, I think I'll go and experiment on a small S. puprurea later on this fall right after the first frost. I still don't quite understand why that time of year as opposed to now though but just as well as all the kids start back to school after Labor Day so the timing is ideal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry Laura, let me clarify. The shake and bake method is using Unknownclown's technique now--they will bake in the sun, but you may force some intial growth. After the frost is the frozen fruit coolee method, otherwise known as 'coarse tissue stratification' in techincal parlance. Happy experimenting!

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What, it's not April 1st yet!

I'm confused.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast