Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Humidifier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.It's not an ultrasonic humidifier,it's just a regular one.Everytime I asked for an ultrasonic one they all looked at me fuuny and ask"Um...what do you mean by ultrasonic ma'am?" *Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, to clarify things a little here. The humidifyer will help for 2 reasons 1) I know the greenhouse you are talking about, standard mini greenhouse availble at places like walmart. they are far from airtight and as the tempuratue rises in there the humdity drops. 2) Evaporation causes cooling. Again these greehouses are far from airtight so there is a fair bit of circulation anyway... moving damp air.. that's going to have a cooling effect.

I do have one question though. By "regular type" do you mean a steam humidifyer or a cool mist?

And Scott, not to start an argument but I have to tell you that you are making some pretty broad generalizations there. No way I could grow ANY cp without an enclosure and a pretty airtight enclosure at that. RH averages 10% indoors and out around here.
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure it's a cool mist.I think that's what it said on the box.*Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Maehem @ May 02 2005,6:03)]And Scott, not to start an argument but I have to tell you that you are making some pretty broad generalizations there. No way I could grow ANY cp without an enclosure and a pretty airtight enclosure at that. RH averages 10% indoors and out around here.
    10%?!
    in Calgary??
    hmmm..that cant be right.
    about the only place that dry in all of North America is parts of Arizona and California, deserts.
    Calgary isnt a desert.
    maybe you are a little drier than most of NA..is it the elevation?
    still..your humidity shouldnt be much diferent than say..Chicago..average.
    10% is amazingly dry.

hmmmm..
    here we go, according to this, the record for lowest humidity in Calgary was 22%.
    it has never been drier than 22% in Calgary in..
    (well, in the last 5 years..thats the timespan for that collection site in the link below.)
    Record high humidity was 97%.
    average is 47%.
    that sounds pretty normal.
    ok, maybe slightly drier than normal.
    but certaintly not 10%..

You can grow VFTs and Sarrs outside just fine.
    yes, if we are talking about certain Neps then I agree you need an enclosure for higher humidity.
    but thats an exception, and thats into the realm of "indoor-only, greenhouse/hothouse" CPs anyway..
    im talking about regular "simple" CPs..VFTs and Sarrs..not exotics.

http://www.nishiyama.tzo.com/weather/extremes.php

and..im giving Niki advice for where she lives.
    I was only talking to her, and about her specific situation.
    She lives in Ontario.
    I live 30 minutes from Ontario.
    Her climate is identical to mine.
    we are both in the Great Lakes Basin..
    She doesent need a greenhouse to grow CPs outdoors in the summer. I know that, because I live where she does.
    thats all im telling her.
    its not a "generalization" to give advice for a specific person in a specific place for a specific situation..if you know what you are talking about..

Scot

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hehe, no, she lives in Vancouver. I don't think she should need one either during the summer, as for winter.. without a doubt which is when she would really run into trouble. Since she has no room for them indoors best to get the bugs ironed out now, can't hurt.

As for your stats on Calgary, Current RH 26% at the airport. If I was to move 20 feet down the street I wouldn't have anywhere near the trouble I have now. Something about the 4 square feet of outdoor space I have has it's own little microclimte. Full sun, gas heating vents that sort of things. I don't understand it either. It starts out around 25-30%(morning and evening) and drops as low as 5-8% (mid afternoon). If was actually planning on living here longer than for a few months I would look into it more closely. I know is I still get nosebleeds form the dry air around here so I wouldn't even think of trying to grown any CP without a cover... till I move anyway [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know I lived in Ontario,since when Scot? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] *Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123