Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biology as pertains to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to find a microscope that will work well so I can get a camera with microscope attachment. Those would be awesome pictures of glands on Cps and small creatures. Utric traps also.
    I mostly do botany but Birds and mammals to a lesser extent. I am currently ordering a book on Bat IDs with actual pictures instead of drawings. I hope to be able to Id frogs and so on in a few months

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    do you see bats often? I rarely see bats... and when I do, I can't ID them because they're basically just dark things in the night :P
    I've seen them drink though [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] and one time I was looking at a moth and woosh! there goes a bat. Then the wings of the moth fell :P
    bats are awsome. I wish I could install a bat house or something but the location and everything is wrong. not to mention that they're expensive (at least for someone that's cheaper than dirt like I am)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah well I really need a focused beam flashlight with high output. although that will temporarily blind the bats. Yeah I see bats when ever there are trees around that are not a lumber farm. My problem is there are 17 or 19 species here so IDing is hard unless you have a spotlight, mist-net or high-end Bat detector. You might want to check out www.BATCON.org for more info about bat houses. Or I can include some copied pages in your package. They are really easy to build (having built 5) but having the right enviroment is hard. But "Build it and they will come" does apply.
    Do you ID insects ever? What is the scientific name of the "Rolly Pollie/Pill Bug"? When I was in California quite a few years ago they had some purple ones which I imported to Tallahassee. So if anyone sees purple ones over there let me know. (I was young then and did not know better).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been told where to put bathouses and I don't have anywhere like that, but I'll look at the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Do you ID insects ever? What is the scientific name of the "Rolly Pollie/Pill Bug"?
    IDing many insect species is a pain in the rear. I pretty much just ID the really easy ones or just the genus or whatever.
    I don't know the scientific name for pill bugs... (there are many species in case you didn't know) but I do know they are millipedes and eat decaying matter, etc.
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh many species. Well that is annoying. Bat houses jsut need an open area. I hope to put one up later this year but since I am moving in two years I doubt I will.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH... by the way... pill bugs aren't insects. They're myriapods (millipedes and centepedes)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ April 27 2005,7:31)]bats are awsome. I wish I could install a bat house or something but the location and everything is wrong. not to mention that they're expensive (at least for someone that's cheaper than dirt like I am)
    I built a small bat house... materials cost me $20 or so... and almost all of that was paint, which I have tons more of, so I should really build another.

I gave it to an aunt and uncle years ago who have tons of land, but they haven't put it up yet so I don't know if it worked.

I used these plans: http://www.batcon.org/bhra/economyhouse.html

With some modifications I saw here: http://habitat.ms11.net//bat/bathome.htm

I love swimming in outdoor pools at night. The insects are drawn to the lights under the water, and the bats swoop in on them. There have been plenty of times when a bat shot by me so close I could feel the wing beats.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast