Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Very, very good news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, Luna,

I spotted the prezwalski's horse last time I went to Brookfield zoo! A whole herd of them. And Pere David's deer, too!

The report of these Ivory Billed Woodpeckers still being alive really made my day. I can't even describe it. I got a little misty eyed a few times. Aprilh
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, BTW, Luna...there is or was until recently, a program to revive the Tasmanian Wolf going on in Australia...they had all these Wolf pups preserved in formaldehyde, but the last I heard, the DNA was too degraded to work with. One of the scientists involved in the venture said the only reason they couldn't do it was our technology is not quite advanced enough yet...but in 10 years, it will be. April H.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tre,

I think Ozzy was just being ironic....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for what its worth. "hunting seasons" or more aptly hunters are the ones who have saved pronghorns, mule deer and most any thing to do with bighorn sheep and their subspecies. its hunters behind the reintroduction of elk to many states. right now its hunters, not green peace types saving the elephant and black rhino in Africa. say what you will about hunters but the most of us are a quite decent lot who are EXTREAMLY interested in keeping animals and their habitat around. here in the states it was hunters who saw the declining deer populations in the early part of this century and it was hunters that insisted, demanded and created "hunting seasons". right now its basically hunters in control of them too. and now we probably have more whitetail deer in this country than at ANY point in history, including before the "native americans" showed up.

i think its cool the found these woodpeckers again but it was my understanding they were never very common to begin with. very low population densities naturally and just not that many period. kinda easy for a species like that to be wiped out by mother nature or man.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Oh, BTW, Luna...there is or was until recently, a program to revive the Tasmanian Wolf going on in Australia...they had all these Wolf pups preserved in formaldehyde,
    lol. tasmanian wolf? *snickers*
    it's tasmanian tiger! You've been thinking of me too much [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    and just to clarify, they're not tigers. They're marsupials related to tasmanian devils.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ratteler who pushed the bighorn sheep, bison, pronghorn, and elk from those states in the firstplace so conservation of them was needed? u kind of left out a important part there,

This is totaly unexpected, as the species *used* to be noisy and conspicuous, and so little hope was held out for it. It seems selective presure selected the most quiet and shy to survive.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tasmanian wolf [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Kudos to the presedent for acting quickly to impliment conservation mesures and the goverment for donating money to conserve the species- this is totaly out of character
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler,

While I agree with you that hunters were and are responsible for making naturally abundant species even more abundant, they have also driven some species to extinction...the passenger pigeon, Carolina Parakeet and others.

The passenger pigeon was extirpated due to "market hunting" and habitat destruction. Everytime a new passenger pigeon nesting site was located...hunters would show up and kill everything they could...There are many, many personal accounts of dead passenger pigeons being shipped, by the BARGE LOAD to points east. Meanwhile, everybody else was cutting down the trees and de-foresting the land they depended on.

American Buffalo were very nearly extirpated because of people of european descent. "market hunters"...whole herds of animals killed solely for their hides and tongues, the rest of the carcasses being left to rot in the sun. The indians used every bit of the animal. It was a holy animal to them. The slaughter was so massive and pervasive that you can still find buffalo bones and skulls out west. I have.

Carolina Parakeets were killed largely to adorn women's hats. Same with the Ivory Billed Woodpecker.

While I don't have a problem with hunting at all, though I couldn't do it, myself...hunters in the 1850's + range, up until about the 1960's....were responsible for a lot of bad, bad stuff.

I wish the tree-huggers and hunters would come together...their goals are the same, these days. april h

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast