Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Very, very good news

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (tweek @ April 30 2005,1:57)]The Florida panther is an example of an animal that has such a reduced gene pool. They even have a genetic trait that most/all have a crook in their tail. Last time I read about them, other panthers were being used to strengthen the gene pool.

The African cheetah is so inbred that there DNA is almost identical. They have all sorts of health problems. This was supposed to be some historical incident were their numbers were so reduced that inbreeding resulted.

I think the bison was hunted by man, but this was an attempt to eliminate the Native American's food supply. Not in any history book - just my line of thinking on the subject.

BTW, the Ivory Bill will be found in other areas. Shhhhhhh!

Tweek
    Yes don't blame the extinction of The American Buffalo on hunters... That was government work. And AprilH There is a big difference between market hunters and actual hunters then just carrying guns and shooting things. Market hunters don't care about the creatures they exterminate. They aren't in it for the sport or the food etc. They are in it for the money so they would kill and kill until they made all the money they could and then move onto the next species where as actual trueblood hunters care about their species and want them to procreate and thrive etc because without them there would be no sport. Yes they are similar in that they do similar things but that's like saying a murderer and an executioner are the same thing when they are not. As was stated hunters are responsible for putting Market Hunters out of business and saving the animals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tweek, from what I have read on an endangered animal list that I belong to, the original reason cheetahs numbers got so low at one time was distemper. However, they have recently begun showing some genetic variation again.

Western Pumas have been introduced into the gene pool of the Florida panther, as they are the same species. Aprilh
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    conservation
    Quote[/b] ]The Interior and Agriculture departments would set aside $10 million this year for the "Corridor of Hope" conservation plan, supplementing private funding, Norton said. The "Corridor of Hope" refers to the Big Woods of Arkansas, an area about 120 miles (192 kilometers) long and up to 20 miles (32 kilometers) wide in eastern Arkansas where the bird was sighted.

Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns said landowners in the area could become eligible for $13.5 million in rental payments over the next 15 years to maintain the trees that ivory-billed woodpeckers use as their habitat.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7666344/

I wish I could discover a new species of a previously thought extinct branch of organisms :P kind of like a caelocanth or however you spell it.

Quote[/b] ]“This area was once the largest expanse of forested wetlands in the country, originally consisting of 21 million acres of bottomland hardwood forests. Today, only 4.9 million acres remain, mostly in scattered woodland patches,” the Nature Conservancy says on its Web site.
    stop having kids people!
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I don't think these tracts were logged to make subdivisions...they were logged for the value of the lumber. It is, after all a big swamp...might be hard to put houses there. Aprilh
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tweek,

Do you know something we don't? I hope so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the more people there are, the more lumber you need.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the "Corridor of Hope" anything like the "Clear Skies" initiative? If so...I shudder to think of the ramifications of the "corridor of hope"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aprilh,

The Florida panther(Puma concolor coryi) and the Texas Cougar(Puma concolor stanleyana) are two different subspecies of mountain lion. They are not the same.

Their historic ranges overlapped and their was an exchange of genetic material that kept the combined gene pools viable.

Loss of habitat is a major reason of their decline.

Many species today face the same problem along with an even more problematic causation; even in areas of seemingly suitable habitats. This would be habitat fragementation. This is a concern of the losses being seen with Bobwhite quail.

Panther Facts

It is interesting that there are only two locations of known IBWs currently. Have hope Aprilh, there are sure to be more.::

Tweek
    \"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.\" - EInstein

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast