Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: White turks cap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most Turks cap's have red flowers (plant not actual cap). I have seen a couple white ones driving down the road. Does anyone have a white one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suppose the remote possibility exists there has been a mutation of the North American native Lilium superbum... however, doubtful. The Turk's Cap Lily is reddish orange and I have no knowledge of any cultivars. It is most probable that what you are seeing are Asiatic Lily excapees. If those are in fact Asiatic Lily escapees, please pluck them all as they are obviously naturalizing so you'd be doing the environment a favor. Introduced species that "naturalize" displace and outcompete native species. This destroys diversity. These excapees are doing nothing but wreaking havoc in the environent. Please consider this, the quality of any wetlands is dependent upon the uplands.

Why don't you post a photo of what you have seen driving down the road and I'll take a stab at telling you what you've found. If I can't identify your "white Turk's Cap Lily", I can forward it to friends who can take a stab.

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive found this...

here
    not sure if thats what youre refering to
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photo includes our native Turk's Cap Lily (Lilium superbum). The photo also includes Lilium martagon and L. martagon album. Both are native to W. Asia although they have both naturalized in Europe and most notably in Britain. They are most unfortunately beginning to naturalize here on the continent of North America.

http://www.floralimages.co.uk/pic184.htm

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think theyre kinda cool! I wouldnt mind finding then along side the road here sure beats all the garbage Ill take pretty flowers any day to trash! But of course Im a girl [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He he he! I'm a girl too. I cut the martagon down every time I see them. They last incredibly long in a vase. I always add an aspirin and set them out on the patio. Wonder if that's an old wives' tale to do that. Another plant that I clip is Dame's Rocket. And well, I always nail those Shasta Daisies too. My patio looks like a flower shop sometimes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang common names
    http://www.toptropicals.com/pics....Cap.jpg
    now immagine it is white flowered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, best whenever possible to use the binomial as opposed to common names.

Ah, much better. That photo you posted appears to be some sort of a Malvaceae. Try looking under Malvaviscus arboreus or M. penduliflorus and see if there is a white variation or cultivar. There most probably is due to the popularity of that plant. There both introduced species. They are from Central America and they don't belong dotting the countryside.

If it is what I'm guessing it to be, it's naturalized so please pick as many as you can as what you are seeing are escapees-
    http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin....=MALVA3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast