What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ever met anyone famous?

Trapper7

Loves VFT's!
Have any of you met anyone famous? I've met Jack Nicholson.He was in a red convertable and on the side of the road with his hood up,and I was with my parents driving by so we stopped and helped him and his buddy out.He shook my dad's hand
smile.gif
I've also seen Katie Holmes.She jogged past me on the street.She is SUPER skinny!!
confused.gif
And I also met Nick Nolte.He was shooting a movie right next door to our house(at a motel)and he commented on how pretty my dog was,and then he came over and pet her
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif
That was cool! Ok now your turn!Oh yeah my dad was in an elevator with the producer of The X Files. *Niki*
smile_m_32.gif

My friend who used to live in LA met a bunch of people. I haven't met anyone famous, really. I've met people who are famous in their fields, but the general public has no idea who they are so I don't get to brag.
smile.gif

In my work as a sound tech we have had some real talent and got to work with many "stars". I got drunk with Gordon Lightfoot, hung out with Hot Tuna, jammed with lots of NAtional talent bands. I met Gracie Slick and JAck Cassidy (Jefferson Airplane) and was roundly tipped when I carried a bag to their car with the equal of my weeks wage where I worked. I went fishing with Rod Serling (Twilight Zone) and I caught twice as many. I had dinner with PAul Winter (Paul Winter Consort) and met the NAtional Poet Stanley Kunz. I even have talked to Dr. BArry Rice on the phone! I have shaken hands with BB King, Doc WAtson, Normal Blake, Tony Rice, Del McCourey hoping some of it would rub off.....

Once, I rode on the Easter bunny. The REAL Easter bunny. I wasn't awake at the time though, but it counts!

I will say this: the stars I met were all saints or eeeeeeediots, there was no inbetween, lol.

My brother dated a certain "star" (that word being used very loosely) when they were both back in highschool... I am actually not proud of admitting to this one so no names will be mentioned. Lets just say that this particular woman is known only for certain physical endowments that are miricles of modern surgical techniques. I will also say her charms (if you are into that sort of thing) stop there!

Oddly enough her parents who still live in my hometown are absolute sweethearts! I guess the apples can fall quite a ways from the tree afterall!

Well, it all depends on how you define famous. I saw the Queen of England 4' away as she walked past, same with Princess Michael of Kent. I was friends with the late Rosemary Verey, noted British garden designer and author. Penelope Hobhouse. (same but still living) I once worked for one of the wealthest women in the world, Ann Cox Chambers. She and her sister are in Fortune 500's top wealthest people every year. I met Calvin Klien and sat next to Martha Stewart at a dinner party. I think that is it for now.

I sat behind David Robinson and Sean Elliot in church once... but out of respect did not say hello or introduce myself. (I expect actions like that ran them out of many a church.)

I've met Tamlin Dawnstar, Black Sabbath (Ozzy Osbourne, Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi, and Bill Ward), the late Jay Youngblood, Tommy Lee and the two women in the Same ol' Situation video, William Prescott, the guitarist from Fear Factor, and I talked to Tom Keifer from Cindarella on the phone.
I think that covers it.

I prepared dinner for Gore Vidal. The arrogance was astounding.

I met Melissa Etheridge.
it was her first tour back around 1990 or 1991.
this was back when hardly anyone had heard of her.
I was in college at New Paltz, and she played this small club in Poughkeepsie.
We got to go backstage and meet her!
She was very cool..

I have also met and chatted with all 4 members of Moxy Fruvous, several times.
great guys.
(they might only be considered "famous" in Canada and in the North East US)

I also met Rob Schneider from SNL ("making copies").
not a major thrill. ;)

When my sister was in college, (SUNY Cortland) she was a member of the SAB..Student Activities Board.
that was the group that booked bands and comedians and all that for college shows.
(thats how I met Rob Schnider)
well one time they booked George Carlin for the college!
My sister and one of her friends drove a college van to the Syracuse airport to pick up George Carlin!
and they drove him back to the college!
just the 2 of them with George in the back!
she said he was very cool and very nice..
I didnt get to go to that show.
smile_h_32.gif

so I didnt get to meet George Carlin..
would have been much cooler than Rob Schnider.

I also met Billy Sheehan.
http://www.billysheehan.com/main_bio.html
one of the best Bass Players in the world, but fairly unknown.
At the time he was a member of the band "Mr. Big"..they had one hit, dont even remember what it was.
(I wasnt really a Mr. Big fan! ;)

In 1991 I was in college and had just started playing the Bass,
I picked up an issue of "Guitar for the practicing Musician" magazine.
just a typical guitar magazine.
well they always had these contests in the magazine.
"Win Yngwie's guitar!"
"Win Eddie Van Halen's Amp!"
that kind of thing..
they had all these contests to win stuff.
so one of them was "Win Billy Sheehan's Bass!"
it was just one of those tear-out postcard things,
I filled it out and mailed it in and forgot about it..
well..I WON!  
smile.gif

it was my last week of college, and I got a phonecall from my parents saying some magazine called, and you won some guitar and stuff? what is this about?
(I must have given the magazine my "home address" since I was graduating soon)
when my parents came to school for my graduation they bought the bass!
Its beautiful, a Yamaha Attitude Limited,
the Billy sheehan signature model.
http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass....01.html
http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/ikebe/img1029364541.jpeg
Mine is Blue, and has the "limited" script and all that on the headstock, but otherwise its identical to that picture.

In addition to the Bass, I also got a Yahama Bass Amp!
very cool..
well part of the prize was that you also get a phonecall from Billy Sheehan!
so its now summer, 1992, I had grauated from College and was home, just about to move out for my first real job, and I get a phone call, its Billy sheehan!
very cool guy, we chatted for about 30min.
He asked how I liked the Bass, was I in a band (no.)
Where I lived. (Waverly, NY)
Billy -"Where is that?"
Me - "Near Binghamton"
Billy - "I know that area! I used to play the bars in Binghamton"
(He is originally from Buffalo)
so anyway, he asks me how close I am to New York City, I say a few hours..he says "hold on a sec"..
he comes back and says "How would you like a couple tickets and back stage passes to our show at Madison Square Garden?"
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_n_32.gif

So later that Summer I went to NYC, took my best college buddy Bill (who got me into the Bass in the first place)
and we went to the show at MSG where Billy sheehan's band "Mr. big" was opening for.....RUSH!  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

We got to go backstage, I stood next to Alex Lifeson while he was talking to some people, I heard Neil Peart practicing in another room..
didnt see Geddy Lee anywhere though..bummer.
and I briefly met Mr. sheehan as he was going on stage.
I introduced myself "im the guy who won the bass"
he shook my hand, said "hey man, nice to meet you, sorry I cant chat right now, gotta go onstage, but stop back after the show!"
We tried to go back after the show, but Mr. big had already left, and the place was closing down..so we didnt really get to do anything after the show..oh well.
it was still a very cool "Rock & Roll" experience!
Rush was amazing, as always..
I will always cherish my back stage pass!
Roll the Bones tour.

I was in  a band here in Rochester from 1995-2000.
So I go to use the Bass a lot.
We had a lot of fun.
I sold all my amp equipment, but I will never sell that Bass.
even if I never play it again..

scot

Donald Sutherland
Jane Fonda
Dom Delouise
Clint Eastwood
James Garner
Kristy McNichol
Danny Thomas
Marlo Thomas
Lee Van Cleef
Jack Palance
Robin Williams
there have been others, but I don't have the time!

All's you're missing is the Ugly, BW
biggrin.gif

(or did Eli just not make the list due to time restrictions??)
I met Ronnie James Dio at an in-store signing, but that is about it, not much for "celebrity", and my area is pretty "smalltown"

I did see Mr.Dressup "live in concert" back in the 70's though, but he didn't have Casey and Finnegan with him

You haven't seen me, Metal Man! I jest mite be da ugly!!!!!!

Does going to concerts count? If so, then I've seen Steve Miller and James Taylor.

The Mr.Big hit was To Be With You. That was back around 90 or 91 I think.

Jim if seeing somebody in concert counts then my list would be a mile long.

Yeah, I thought as much. It was the best I could do, How about this for desperate: I know of someone, only through the internet, who has the potential to be distantly related to the Eva Gabor - as in Green Acres.
laugh.gif

Ive only met Pavarotti, the pictures are on my digi can I gotta get them up sometime

Speaking of the Gabors, Jim, I once refused a collect call from Zsa Zsa Gabor. I was working at a real estate office, and got a collect call, identified as from Zsa Zsa Gabor. I refused it, thinking it was some sort of prank or joke, but it turned out it was really her! LOL!

Famous people I've met:
Ronald Reagan
Willie Brown (mayor of SF)
Norman Fell
Sandy Duncan
Walter Matthau
Ted Knight
Adam West

Oh, and when I was in school, I was buddies with David Schwimmer from "Friends."

Capslock

I didn't exactly meet him but saw Martin Sheen and Blair Brown when they were filming the Kennedy TV movie here. My friend Jane, who has a lot of...er...nerve, asked him to dinner at her house but he politely declined saying it was his daughter's birthday and she was coming into town. (Does he have a daughter?). He was very nice.

I "met" and got autographs from Tommy Hilfiger and Oscar de la Renta (I worked in retail advertising and we had special events). Woo. And Mary Tyler Moore came in a shopped in our store while they were filming "Finnegan Begin Again."

And I owned the dog that was "AOL's Pet of the Day" on April 27th, 2000. That was my dog Jonah.
biggrin.gif
So he was famous for a day.

Neither fame nor fortune crosses my path. lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ May 02 2005,2:24)]Speaking of the Gabors, Jim, I once refused a collect call from Zsa Zsa Gabor. I was working at a real estate office, and got a collect call, identified as from Zsa Zsa Gabor. I refused it, thinking it was some sort of prank or joke, but it turned out it was really her! LOL!

Famous people I've met:
Ronald Reagan
Willie Brown (mayor of SF)
Norman Fell
Sandy Duncan
Walter Matthau
Ted Knight
Adam West

Oh, and when I was in school, I was buddies with David Schwimmer from "Friends."

Capslock
Max, wow, what a story!. Hey you met Batman? Holy Guadalcanal!

Isn't Willie Brown a defensive back for the Raiders?

Oh yeah, I forgot, My 8th grade teacher was Greg Norris. He was a pitcher for the Braves.

Back