Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Computers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for the message you described, it sounds like a nasty pop-up which looks like the normal XP error message, text box, etc... Clicking "ok" or whatever it said would probably have brought you to a website selling one of the "scub" programs above but it could have easily been a scam. A lot of the pop-ups and viruses can be avoided by using Firefox or some sort of pop-up blocker. Hope that helped -

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]actually I was just happily surfing along on the net and suddenly GASP! my computer kind of froze and after it "thawed" there was this black image/link thing that said "you are in danger" or something and then said that the computer saves everything you do on it's hard disk and it could never be deleted. ever.
    Sounds like just a run of the mill pop-up, they can embed alot of data into the pop-up, which can make it seem like you froze up for a few seconds, sometimes it is because it uses some java, so it has to wait for the java app to start up.

If you are using XP you should make sure that the messenger service is turned off tho. No it isn't part of windows messenger. It is a tool for network admins.

Turn it off by going to.

Control Panel ->
    Administive Tools ->
    Services ->
    Find Messenger in the list
    Right click on it, and choose properties.
    In the drop down for Startup Type (On the general Tab) make sure it is set to 'Disabled'
    If the service status is 'started' click stop on the bottom'ish' of the window, then click apply.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it certainly didn't look like any normal XP error I've ever gotten.
    when I minimized all the windows, the whole screen was black except for my icons and a box in the middle. the words were written in yellow and white. When I right clicked on it and clicked on properties, the URL had something to do with drive c://desktop.com or something. It wasn't an actual window but it was made to appear like it replaced your background (but I figured out it wasn't because I restarted the computer and the real background appears first. Then it turns white, and then the black background-like image/link thing appears)
    edit:
    Quote[/b] ]If you are using XP you should make sure that the messenger service is turned off tho. No it isn't part of windows messenger. It is a tool for network admins.
    nope, I've gotten those before (every time I restore the system I have to disable them again) and it's not one of those annoying gray popups that you can actually close. The screen thing didn't have any minimizing/maximizing/close buttons nor anything. it wasn't a popup.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually is sounds to me like the latest round of spyware. These ones actually change (more specifically overlay)your desktop image to be a link to their website (usually)supposedly an anti-spyware site. With advertising like that they are pretty much shooting themselves in the foot.

Preventative measures, find a really good quality firewall and run ad-aware and spybot etc etc etc with almost paranoid frequency (I run about 4 different ones once a week and each one of them finds something new) Hi-Jack This also comes higly recomended though I haven't tried it yet.
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What virus protection do you use? most of them will stop those types of pop-ups/trojan/semi-virus things.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya, I run Ghostsurf. Kinda covers this entire thread in one program, unfortunatly it isn't a free program.
    http://www.tenebril.com/products/ghostsurf/
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Actually is sounds to me like the latest round of spyware. These ones actually change your desktop image to be a link to their website (usually)supposedly an anti-spyware site.
    sure sounds like it.
    Quote[/b] ]What virus protection do you use?
    I have... umm... pc-cillin? not that I use it... what I hate about getting virus protection is that they take up so much space! (and I have a... 3? 4? year old laptop) takes forever to download, slows down my already slow computer, and I think so much stuff in the computer is what makes me have to restore the system on the first place. the first warning signs are the blue screens of death (more than usual)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Far too old to grow up now. Kate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most AV software is unfortunately very bulky and I understand what you mean. Space isn't my problem it is system resources so most times my Av is disabled. Honestly though I haven't had a virus in forever since I started the spyware paranoia most of these programs also detect viruses as well.
    I typo, therefore I edit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast