Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a certain... incident... made me think...
    do computers really store ALL you do in their hard drives (yes they do...I knew that...) but is it really there FOREVER? can't you delete it? not even by restoring the system (the disks that supposedly erase all data there)?
    and say you get a funny message on your desktop that won't go away... is there any easy way to locate the thing and kill it without having to do the system restore thing? (the program in your computer)
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure about the data erase thing but to get rid of the message showing up (presumably at startup -?- ) on the desktop, go to:
    1. Run from the start menu
    2. Type MSconfig in the box
    3. Go to the startup tab
    4. Identify the message or program or whatever it is based on its location and name and deselect it.

Hope that helps - if not just ask again.

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I understand the erasing of data thing now -

I'm not really sure how the computer stores data you don't specifically save but I assume that completely wiping the hard drive clean and re-installing the OS and all of your programs (not a fun procedure) would get the job done and erase anything (whatever it may be [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] ) on the hard drive including the auto-saved logs (? - correct me if I'm wrong please).

~ Brett

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]is it really there FOREVER?
    No not really. Deleting it does remove it, however it leaves a magnetic image on the hard drive surface. The image can be used to recover the data, until enough new stuff has been writen over that section of hard drive. There are many programs that will 'scrub' your HD, that is they write over an area repeatedly, scrambling an magenetic images.

Quote[/b] ]is there any easy way to locate the thing and kill it
    Maybe. It depends on the message. and by message I am assuming you mean some sort of error pop-up. Most of the time they come from programs that where removed improperly. If they where in the start-up tasks, and where not unistalled the correct way, they will still be tring to launch when the computer starts up. Quick fix is just to tell the computer not to try and start that program everytime the computer starts up.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]completely wiping the hard drive clean and re-installing the OS and all of your programs (not a fun procedure)
    tell me about it! I've had to do it like a million times! *sniff* and my pictues *sniff*... every single darn one of them... *snif* got... *breaks down* this is too hard to talk about *sniff*

ok, I'll try what you said next time I get the message (hopefully never). I fixed it this time by going to control pannel, preformance and maintenance, and system restore.... but it's always good knowing other ways to do things.
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Maybe. It depends on the message. and by message I am assuming you mean some sort of error pop-up.
    actually I was just happily surfing along on the net and suddenly GASP! my computer kind of froze and after it "thawed" there was this black image/link thing that said "you are in danger" or something and then said that the computer saves everything you do on it's hard disk and it could never be deleted. ever. (for forensic reasons) and that spyware could access those things. It then said something about "click here to remove" (as in the image/link on top of my desktop)... which of course I did not want to click.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]tell me about it! I've had to do it like a million times! *sniff* and my pictues *sniff*... every single darn one of them... *snif* got... *breaks down* this is too hard to talk about *sniff*
    Partitioning your hard drive can save alot of lost pictures. There are aftermarket programs such as partition magic that you can easily do this with, without deleteing anything currently on the hard drive.. But it can also be done with the windows installation program, but only during install, and everything will be deleted.

Partitioning makes your computer think that your 1 hard drive is actually 2 or more hard drives.

Mine is set up like this. 1 Hard drive. 100G

C: 10G Just for windows
    D: 40G Installed Programs
    E: 50G Storage. Pictures, Movies, MP3s, etc..
    If a major problem occurs, I can format(erase the entire partition) just the C & D drives, leaving all my pictures. movies, music and other downloaded stuff untouched.

As soon as the OS is back up and running you still have all your stuff, just gotta reinstall all your programs.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Partitioning your hard drive can save alot of lost pictures.
    yeah I discovered that after like the 20th time of loosing all my pictures :P
    now I save them in drive (D so that when I put the system restore CD in, I just choose to clean out drive C: and not drive D:. And I know it works since it's saved my pictures already [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] that was the best discovery ever. Now I really don't care if I get viruses or something as long as my pictures don't get deleted. it's still a pain to get the aol and messenger and all that installed, but I have my pictures and that's all that matters.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast