Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venus flytrap seeds and other questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to know where I can purchase seeds for venus flytraps, and if it is legal to grow and sell them commercially ... I know they're endangered in the wild. I'm thinking about starting my own small greenhouse and don't really know much about them. Thanks

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you have come to the right place. You will be able to learn all you need to know about VFT's here. Vft's are not very easy to grow from seeds. If I were you, I would get an established plant before trying seeds.
    One of the best places to buy VFT's is at this site. http://www.**********.com/
    In the meantime read through the VFT section of this forum. All you'll need to know to grow them is there.
    And yes it is legal to grow them as long as they were not illegally collected from the wild.

Welcome to the forums, but I must warn you Carnivorous plants are addictive, You won't be able to stop at just one.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the warm welcome [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

I want to try starting some from seed just because I like a challenge like that. I know you can't actually plant them into the soil ... you have to lay them on the top of it and keep the environment warm and moist (humid). The soil has to be acidic, and you're not supposed to feed them anything but insects.

I was thinking that it might be possible to germinate them in a glass of water and then put them on the soil to grow after the root starts to show. I've done that with sweet williams flowers and tomato seeds. If the only way is to just keep them on the soil and in the right climate, that's ok, too. I also know that it can take half a year for them to actually germinate. That's kind of hard to believe, but I don't know much about carnivorous plants, either.

What kind of soil would be good to use ... just regular potting soil (no nutrients) with some perlite for aeration? or would it be better with the soil that basically looks like mud when wet, and is compact and has no aeration?

Thanks,
    Carfreak69

oh, and I am going to study the forums and learn as much as I can about the plant when I get more time ... thanks for the suggestion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    barry's site is good- http://www.sarracenia.com/faq.html
    if you want to find say... how to sow seeds, press ctrl+F and type "seeds" in, then click find until you find something relevant.
    it's easier (at least for me) fo find stuff there.
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks TheAlphaWolf ... good information.

I'm still going to ask around the forums here for most of my questions. I'm sure I'd get a more relevant answer to my questions, and I bet there's a lot of expert VFT growers on this site. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should ask your questions in the vft section of the forums. You'll get better advice there.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (carfreak69 @ May 04 2005,6:14)]I was thinking that it might be possible to germinate them in a glass of water and then put them on the soil to grow after the root starts to show.
    Carfreak69
    I just did that with some seed I harvested from one of my VFTs back in February. My germination is 93% (13 out 0f 14 seeds sprouted) compared to 0% (0/15 seeds) for the ones I sowed on my CP soil mix. I still have to plant them in soil though. Just can't decide on what size of pot to put them in. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Edit: Forgot to mention they just started sprouting a week or so ago.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]You should ask your questions in the vft section of the forums. You'll get better advice there.
    already done [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I have a question posted there already.

Quote[/b] ] just did that with some seed I harvested from one of my VFTs back in February. My germination is 93% (13 out 0f 14 seeds sprouted) compared to 0% (0/15 seeds) for the ones I sowed on my CP soil mix.
    how long did you have the seed soaking in the water before it sprouted a root? did you put it in the fridge or something for a while to immitate the winter season?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast